M3 with CLA in 2015

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All,

I am looking at buying a used M3 camera that is cosmetically worn but ViewFinder and mechanics of the camera appear to be in great working order. 

The M3 was sent to Leica in 2015. How often do these cameras need to go back for service in your experience? Thanks for any info/expertise you can give. 

Yes, it's not like a mechanical watches which need frequent service to avoid wear (oils evaporate/harden/disperse) because nothing is moving constantly or frequently (even if you shoot like Winogrand!) relative to a mechanical watch. Sir George Daniels tried to fix this issue with mechanical watches, however his co-axial, whilst better than the old English lever escapement to a large degree (excuse the pun), still needs a tiny drop of oil on the working surfaces...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Most Leica film cameras can go years and years with the use most people give them.  If you are getting a camera you might want to get a CLA for peace of mind and to reset the service back to zero as it were.  However, if you think the camera is working ok and your photos reflect nothing wrong, I would not worry about it.  I am currently using a 50th anniversary M4 which has never had a CLA while in my possession and any problems with the negatives can be traced to the photographer not the camera.

• Like 3

On 2/25/2023 at 10:44 PM, rustyrus said:

Thanks all for your replies...

I ended up grabbing a used Leica MP at a nice price. Opted for the built in Light Meter for a bit of connivence. Shot a roll of Ilford 3200 last night at dinner with the Steel Rim. We will see how it turns out :)

sounds exciting, congrats first of all and do share 'em

how did you rate the film? box speed?