Correct screwdriver for M2/M3 rangefinder eccentric screw adjustment?

qqphot

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've seen a bunch of discussion in which it's claimed "It's easy, just grind your own" followed by various conflicting dimensions and angles, and I've also seen a lot of M2s and M3s with utterly mangled rangefinder adjustment screws. 

I'd like to buy a nice sharp correct-sized screwdriver that won't cam out and destroy the screw. Should it be straight or offset or what? Is this a thing you can buy?  Or do I really need to set up a jig and try to make my own?

...,as you did not mention vertical or horizontal here are both. Left photo shows vertical, this is M3 but M2 is very similar in construction, set screw is hidden behind cover screw on top cover.  Set screw is on deflectable part, so do not be surprised that rangefinder will go beoynd infinity when adjusting. For horizontal there are 2 set points, one with eccentric screw (A) and eccentric shim (B). "A" is critical as the slot is very shallow. I use 90 degree screwdriver, adopted to match the slot. You might need need to repeat adjustment on both A and B few times for 1m, 10m and infinity to get best results.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jerzy

7 hours ago, jerzy said:

...,as you did not mention vertical or horizontal here are both. Left photo shows vertical, this is M3 but M2 is very similar in construction, set screw is hidden behind cover screw on top cover.  Set screw is on deflectable part, so do not be surprised that rangefinder will go beoynd infinity when adjusting. For horizontal there are 2 set points, one with eccentric screw (A) and eccentric shim (B). "A" is critical as the slot is very shallow. I use 90 degree screwdriver, adopted to match the slot. You might need need to repeat adjustment on both A and B few times for 1m, 10m and infinity to get best results.

It’s the eccentric screw “A” that I’m most concerned about since it seems the most easily damaged, and it’s the one I’ve seen mangled most often. I was hoping to find a source of a screwdriver with the correct shape and dimensions available somewhere but it seems like the only option is to make one yourself. I don’t have a lot of faith in being able to grind one precisely enough myself but apparently there’s no other choice!

sorry, i posted wrong picture, here it is with dimensions. Maybe you will be lucky to get the correct one for A, I had one bigger at home and was easier for me to grind instead of searching...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The best one, is the one a real repairman uses to adjust the rangefinder, with the other appropriate equipment to check/calibrate it.

For what these cameras cost today, I don't think I'd use an M body to test my own non-existent skills and half-baked tools to ruin one.

Edited by Gregm61