Does anyone use the S system "to be contrary"?

Me Leica!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I did feel S is left in dust by GFX. When I looked for the upgrade of my HB CF39, I read every possible post and review about GFX vs S. I cannot help to conclude that S is old. You name it: every thing on paper: sensor MP count, IB shake reduction, color depth, …, and most important, the price. I did donut about the justification of 100mp, but since the price and everything else is “superior”, it is a “free bonus”.

I bought the GFX100S from B&H. 

But due to the compatibility issues of CONTAX 645 lens, I returned GFX and bite the bullet, paying about twice price for the S3. Luckily, it turned out not a compromise. I really really like S3. The IQ is something you cannot  read it on paper specs,

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Einst_Stein said:

I did feel S is left in dust by GFX. When I looked for the upgrade of my HB CF39, I read every possible post and review about GFX vs S. I cannot help to conclude that S is old. You name it: every thing on paper: sensor MP count, IB shake reduction, color depth, …, and most important, the price. I did donut about the justification of 100mp, but since the price and everything else is “superior”, it is a “free bonus”.

I bought the GFX100S from B&H. 

But due to the compatibility issues of CONTAX 645 lens, I returned GFX and bite the bullet, paying about twice price for the S3. Luckily, it turned out not a compromise. I really really like S3. The IQ is something you cannot  read it on paper specs,

Very much agree. On paper the Fuji is a much better proposal than the S3 at only half the price. But reality is different. The S3 is a surprisingly good camera. 

I assume that the upcoming S -if it comes, I’m sure they’re weary about the financials- will be mirrorless. But I hope that it will still has what makes a Leica better. 

1 hour ago, irenedp said:

Possibly if I did weddings I would think otherwise. But very happy with the S3 for my line of work. 

I've done weddings with the S, although it was never my main wedding kit (which was the SL). The S is great for big-budget summer weddings with hundreds of guests and late sunsets. The images feel like they are painted on a larger canvas.

The huge battery capacity and great weather resistance are definitely a bonus. I've done 12 hour weddings without ever needing to use the third battery. I've also shot through summer showers, which made for great images: guests scrambling for shelter, that "shadows in the rain" backlight effect from an isolated shower, the shine of fresh wet landscaping. I just wiped the camera down with an oversize lens cloth and kept on shooting, never skipping a beat.

• Like 2