Leica Q2M for B&W film digital conversion

ejg1890

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Curious if anyone has used the Leica Q2M in macro mode to digitalize BW negatives? My assumption is the 28mm may be too wide.  That stated the 28mm may be the way to go for 120mm film (6x9, 6x7, 6x6). If no one’s tried I may do so later in the week. I can see where 28mm may be best used for 120mm rather than 35mm.  Thanks. 

It would matter how flat the field is in macro mode and can you get to 1:1. I use a CL for b&w and color, not using that much color film recently. I have it set upon a slide duplicator with a Schneider slide duplicating lens and it does a good job. But with the Q2M you are locked into what the macro mode can do and how flat the macro field in the lens is. 

• Like 1

I agree with @tommonego@gmail.com a macro facility on the camera doesn't necessarily mean the lens or the software are tuned for rendering a flat field. As an example a typical macro lens for negative copying is in the region of 55m to 120mm and anything in this range can cover 35mm and 120 formats. It is easy for a manufacturer to design a lens that won't distort in that range and remain practical for typical macro photography, the difference in copying different formats is achieved by moving the camera further away on a copy stand. I'm sure you would get something if you try to copy a negative, but you have to weigh up if it's worth anything more than an experiment as there is nothing more depressing than copying a lot of negatives only to find later they don't hold up under scrutiny.