Leitz Macro-Elmarit-R 60/2.8 for portraits?

Shepherdphotographer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

For me this is the must have Leica R lens, if not the only one many photographers took nice pictures with.

Then take time to learn how to use this lens at best, for portrait or whatever you fancy to use this lens for.

If you don't use one you'd never know 😉.

How about this ( these two phrases most important for me ) concerning the lens we are talking about, Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm.

Excuse my ignorance.

Just seen that in this thread @Shepherdphotographer scored 26 posts, while the other posters have much less posts.

Now, I DO understand.

Edited by a.noctilux

2 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Then take time to learn how to use this lens at best, for portrait or whatever you fancy to use this lens for.

Sure, but I have got only a Nikon body, so I should find a 60mm Elmarit-r already with Nikon F mount. It is impossible! I would to avoid to pay 400-500€ and then discover that I don't like it......

3 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Just seen that in this thread @Shepherdphotographer scored 26 posts, while the other posters have much less posts.

Now, I DO understand.

What does it mean? I don't understand..... Maybe that I am more ignorant from them, because I have got less posts? Can you answer me about it, please? Can you be clear, please? Thanks.

Edited by Shepherdphotographer

3 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Now, I DO understand.

Maybe I understood.  I talked a lot, because I had many things to ask, to explain to make my doubts and my situation better understood, to say to share my reflections.  I was waiting and waiting, with hope, even now, for some competent information and not nonsense. Could you be clear, please? Thanks.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just want to add about the versatility of the Elmarit-R 60.

I bought it with adapter and TL2 for exclusively macro and duplication.

Then i found a SL at good price, and put the 60 on that. A perfect combo for me walking in nature finding different scenes, close or far.

The digital image capture process is a chain of parts all the way to end result viewing, the lens is only one of them.
Not sure I understand all talk of contrast etc, as I belive the lens is not all for getting an end result that you like.

My advice is to buy one, they are not that expensive.
(Converting to Nikon mount may be (?), but can it not be rebuilt back to R mount if you dont like it?)

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, otto.f said:

You’ve got enough sincere and sympathetic responses. In return from you I see mostly comments, most of them repeated 3 times and hardly a ‘thank you’, it’s enough now

Just reading the whole discussion to see that he thanked several times ......, I don't understand this attitude, honestly. I may have repeated myself, but to make my problem clear: is it such a serious fault? I just don't understand your attitude. If someone bothers them, they can avoid reading my content. In a forum, opinions are exchanged, they are asked, experiences are exchanged and it is also legitimate to say that someone is talking nonsense, without offending. Since this is the kind of environment, I will probably continue to read a lot and not propose anymore, as before, or at least to propose very rarely, like this time.

36 minutes ago, MattiasAndersson said:

I just want to add about the versatility of the Elmarit-R 60.

I bought it with adapter and TL2 for exclusively macro and duplication.

Then i found a SL at good price, and put the 60 on that. A perfect combo for me walking in nature finding different scenes, close or far.

The digital image capture process is a chain of parts all the way to end result viewing, the lens is only one of them.
Not sure I understand all talk of contrast etc, as I belive the lens is not all for getting an end result that you like.

My advice is to buy one, they are not that expensive.
(Converting to Nikon mount may be (?), but can it not be rebuilt back to R mount if you dont like it?)

I thank you for your contribution. The conversion is reversible, yes, it is possible to reassemble the original Leica R bayonets and in fact I still have them all. I would have liked to buy a Leica camera body (digital, not film), but my prerogative is: optical viewfinder (even if with rangefinder, there would be no problem), I hate electronic ones, it seems to me that we no longer talk about photography, because what you see with electronics is not the vision with natural colors, of the human eye. A Leica SL would allow my original (refitted) Leica R mount lenses to be mounted with adapter, but would have an electronic viewfinder. The Leica M series would be fine, as far as the viewfinder is concerned and you could mount, with adapter, the Leica R lenses on them, but, as I discovered, you would lose the use of the rangefinder and focusing would be very difficult. Furthermore, digital Leica bodies have very high prices. I preferred, over time, to buy a lot of lenses and stay with my Nikon D810, rather than buying a Leica M body. It's not the same thing at all, but you can't have everything in life ... Maybe in the future , let's hope so.

I'll buy an Elmarit-R 60/2.8 and I will personally know the yield. I have not had such a difficult general understanding, not in depth, of the personality of a lens.

• Like 1

SL Macro-Elmarit-R 60 (dng, no adjustments via C1 for iPad)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You are welcome, have no portraits for you, I’m to shy to take people pictures… 🙂

A last one, nothing special, just what I like…

The SL viewfinder is good, I like to have histogram on.
I do understand your concern about electronics and technology getting in the way of photography.

I just managed to find and afford a M-D, with 1.4/35 FLE, that is back to basics.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MattiasAndersson said:

I do understand your concern about electronics and technology getting in the way of photography.

The problem is the electronic viewfinder, fist of all, it isn't a natural way of view, I think.... I search a natural view....... The focusing is very easy with electronic viewfinder, but I do not digest the electronic viewfinder ....... and then how long will they last before they burn out?

7 minutes ago, Shepherdphotographer said:

The problem is the electronic viewfinder, fist of all, it isn't a natural way of view, I think.... I search a natural view....... The focusing is very easy with electronic viewfinder, but I do not digest the electronic viewfinder ....... and then how long will they last before they burn out?

True, but all things in life are compromises… a Leica S2 ?

Edited by MattiasAndersson

12 minutes ago, MattiasAndersson said:

True, but all things in life are compromises… a Leica S2 ?

I've searched it on internet: the price is of a Nikon D850: with the solution: S2 + adapter + Leica R lenses, could I focuse easily? Can it mount also M lenses? Optical viewfinder!!! Used, certainly!! 😄

On 10/26/2022 at 12:14 PM, Shepherdphotographer said:

Thank you, frame-it. I shoot in RAW with a Nikon D810. Yes, you can adjust contrast and saruration, but I'm a "purist" and I don't want to edit contrast and saruration on post-processing, I want to search and to use a lens with the right personality which I want for every shoot, every photo.

You do realise that the RAW processer in combination with the profiles supplied has already set the contrast to what they think it should be. There is no such thing as natural contrast here. You're setting yourself an arbitrary rule for the sake of "purity" that doesn't have much logic behind it.

• Like 2