How many will get a M6

lmans

Advertisement (gone after registration)

FWIW, I'm in the UK at the moment and I checked with the main store in Mayfair.  Leica UK is selling (when available) the M6 for £4500.  At the current exchange rate, that's $5082.  The US price (when available) is $5295 per Leica Miami.  If they had one available I'd buy it in London but I doubt they will have any before we head back to the US on December 8.  If they do, I'll buy one and cancel my preorder with Leica Miami.

15 minutes ago, Mikep996 said:

FWIW, I'm in the UK at the moment and I checked with the main store in Mayfair.  Leica UK is selling (when available) the M6 for £4500.  At the current exchange rate, that's $5082.  The US price (when available) is $5295 per Leica Miami.  If they had one available I'd buy it in London but I doubt they will have any before we head back to the US on December 8.  If they do, I'll buy one and cancel my preorder with Leica Miami.

£3750 for export, without tax.

54 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

If someone can drop over 5K (plus a lens don't forget) on a new camera I doubt they would consider the cost of a roll of film to be prohibitive!

Terrible resolution and noise? Oh dear.

A roll? No. But go out for a good day's shooting with 5 rolls of Portra 400, send them off to be developed and (properly) scanned, and you'd have spent close to $200. On top of the $5K+ for the camera. Suddenly, the shine is starting to wear off...

My wife still, after 20+ years of marriage, will look at one of my film photos up on the monitor, zoom in 100%, and proclaim, "that camera isn't very sharp!"

20 years.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mediumformula said:

TokyoCamerastyle posted this on Instagram yesterday. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkE1a1jyz7J/

"The M6 is an addition to the line. Leica said that they're working to keep up with rising demand for new film cameras and are likewise upscaling production.

This sounds like a load of bulls*it - if one is "working to keep up with rising demand for new film cameras", one would definitely churn out more MPs and M-As because last time I checked the former in black paint is on back order almost everywhere and comes to the stores perhaps once every month (one piece) - IF it does. So this is DEFINITELY NOT any "keeping up", it is purely collecting money from the M6 trend explosion of the past few years. Good for Leica - for sure - but please Leica Marketing Dept., stop with these tall tales and bedtime stories.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Huss said:

If you are in the US I recommend on getting one from England just because of the exchange rate.  You can use it and sell it for more than you bought it for, or at the very least not lose any money on it.  It is (or was when ai bought mine) $1400 cheaper buying from the UK shipping to the US.

If you do this, please send an email of thanks to our former PM, who is now known as ‘The Lettuce’ because a lettuce has a longer shelf life.  The Lettuce tanked the British economy within days of starting the job, thereby causing the pound to crash to all-time lows against USD.

Send your email of thanks here:

elizabeth.truss.mp@parliament.uk

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, earleygallery said:

None of that sounds like a new/new redesigned camera.

It can still be all-new internals and still be an M6. Why wouldn't they make improvements where needed to all parts of the camera as they went? I don't see the contradiction. Take for example the photo of the new M6 pressure plate I posted in a few threads – the screws are recessed now. The old M6 pressure plate had no screws. The MP pressure plate has exposed screws. Did they continue that kind of thoughtful redesign of the parts as they went? Why wouldn't they? Could they still be backward compatible with the old M6? Absolutely. So the new M6 can be new but its parts still be backward compatible with the old M6. Some of the parts may also be compatible with the MP, such as that pressure plate. Etc.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, andrew01 said:

If you do this, please send an email of thanks to our former PM, who is now known as ‘The Lettuce’ because a lettuce has a longer shelf life.  The Lettuce tanked the British economy within days of starting the job, thereby causing the pound to crash to all-time lows against USD.

Send your email of thanks here:

elizabeth.truss.mp@parliament.uk

Done and done.  She is also on my Christmas card list.  Interestingly I tried to buy a “Trust in Truss” t shirt on the conservative party website for some reason they have been removed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mikep996 said:

Definitely a good deal!!!

You will make it so much easier on yourself by mail ordering it from a Leica dealer in the UK, than tryinG to buy one there and exporting it.  If you do the latter, you will have to deal with all the VAT refund paperwork which is pain.  If you buy via mailorder, all that is already taken care of.  Plus you can lock down the decent exchange rate now, before the new PM takes over and strengthens the pound!

1 hour ago, Al Brown said:

This sounds like a load of bulls*it - if one is "working to keep up with rising demand for new film cameras", one would definitely churn out more MPs and M-As because last time I checked the former in black paint is on back order almost everywhere and comes to the stores perhaps once every month (one piece) - IF it does. So this is DEFINITELY NOT any "keeping up", it is purely collecting money from the M6 trend explosion of the past few years. Good for Leica - for sure - but please Leica Marketing Dept., stop with these tall tales and bedtime stories.

What it sounds like is irrelevant. Per Jono: the suppliers for MP/M-A parts were flakey and some have even gone out of business. The new M6 has been designed to use new parts from new suppliers so they will be able to ramp up production to a higher level than the MP/M-A. We'll know soon enough, but sounds like to me that the MP/M-A will continue to be produced at the same pace, but the M6 will be available in greater numbers.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Huss said:

...I tried to buy a “Trust in Truss” t shirt on the conservative party website for some reason they have been removed.

It has been replaced by a "Truss in Truss" T-Shirt. I have heard that it is proving to be very popular with voters regardless of their political persuasions.

Philip.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hdmesa said:

It can still be all-new internals and still be an M6. Why wouldn't they make improvements where needed to all parts of the camera as they went? I don't see the contradiction. Take for example the photo of the new M6 pressure plate I posted in a few threads – the screws are recessed now. The old M6 pressure plate had no screws. The MP pressure plate has exposed screws. Did they continue that kind of thoughtful redesign of the parts as they went? Why wouldn't they? Could they still be backward compatible with the old M6? Absolutely. So the new M6 can be new but its parts still be backward compatible with the old M6. Some of the parts may also be compatible with the MP, such as that pressure plate. Etc.

Other companies do this too. If you open up an early NIkon FE or FM and a late one, the mechanisms are quite significantly different, and the FM also had some notable external changes during its production. But Nikon didn't change the names; normally this sort of thing is only of interest to repair technicians.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

What it sounds like is irrelevant. Per Jono: the suppliers for MP/M-A parts were flakey and some have even gone out of business. The new M6 has been designed to use new parts from new suppliers so they will be able to ramp up production to a higher level than the MP/M-A. We'll know soon enough, but sounds like to me that the MP/M-A will continue to be produced at the same pace, but the M6 will be available in greater numbers.

But Leica aren't discontinuing the MP or M-A so where are they getting the parts from? If they have designed 'new' parts for the M6 they won't be able to use those unless they are secretly making all new MP and M-A models as well.

2 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

But Leica aren't discontinuing the MP or M-A so where are they getting the parts from? If they have designed 'new' parts for the M6 they won't be able to use those unless they are secretly making all new MP and M-A models as well.

Exactly. Also, M6 is not 95% new parts lol, maybe 10%. This jar is not holding water.

16 hours ago, leica-curious said:

For those planning to purchase the new M6, why are you selecting it over the MP beside the lower price?

For me, it's mostly about the ergonomics.   I prefer the M6 advance lever and rewind crank. The fact that the new M6 is slightly less expensive than the old MP is just a nice bonus. I also like the fact that the new M6 incorporates new parts which, Leica has said will alleviate supply chain related pain they feel with the MP and M-A.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, earleygallery said:

I wouldn't be the right person to ask, but it doesn't have to make sense to you to be true. Lots of things that Leica does don't make sense to us.

My guess would be MP/M-A mechanical parts are still being sourced from the slow/flakey sources, so production of those models will continue at the same slow trickle. If there are vendors making parts for the MP/M-A that have gone out of business as was reported, then they simply get a new vendor for those parts.

Nope. Because drum scanning is basically obsolete save for a few specialty labs that keep old computers alive for the specific task - and color printing is just as obsolete. 

Since people like to use so many rich car guy analogies here this is like buying a Lambo to drive on residential roads with one track in some big cities for a hefty fee that are highly inconvenient for most.

If I were a dedicated b/w film shooter I could see the appeal. But when you're stuck with today's consumer scanner options for color neg, nah. I'll happily never touch an epson or coolscan again. 

2 hours ago, Al Brown said:

...M6 is not 95% new parts lol, maybe 10%...

I'm sticking with what Jono was told. We'll see after a tear-down is posted online.

Question: Did they say whether the new parts of the M6 reissue are only electronic, or do they include mechanical parts?

Jono's answer: They include mechanical parts - "basically an entirely new body" was what I was told.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, oldwino said:

In six-eight months time there will be a bunch of these on the used market, when many find out that a. film isn’t cheap, and b. film has terrible resolution and “noise”. 

True...something to think about. It isn't like I need one right away as I have an older M6...so good point, jim