How many will get a M6

lmans

9 hours ago, Anbaric said:

It's a well-known fact that the screwmount cameras are totally exempt from considerations of excessive camera ownership. I mean, they are so small. And the lenses mostly retract into the bodies, so they hardly take up any space...

Thank you - subconsciously I always knew this to be the case.

• Like 1

"

I don't mind the red dot, but the big white "Leica M6" branding is pretty unappealing compared to the clean design of the MP. "

I am, and always have been, a fan of both!  Never understood the blackout thing - as if suddenly people can't see you?  That whole, "Nobody notices you with a Leica" (or other smaller camera) is just silly.  True, they may not think you are shooting a movie but they definitely can see you are taking pictures.

I've traveled my entire life with a camera - at various times with pretty much every well-know brand.  The ONLY time in my life another person actually paid any attention to the camera brand was in Peru a few years ago.  I guy walking by on the street said, (in Spanish) "Hey, nice camera."  Turned out he was carrying the exact same model Olympus and lens so we laughed and congratulated each other on our good taste.  

Why a new M6 over the MP?  As noted, per the pricing I have seen, a new M6 is $400 less expensive than a new MP and appears to be functionally the same other than the rewind lever/button.  So Leica HAS produced a "less expensive M camera." at the same quality level.  If you don't want the Leica dot/logo and prefer the button winder, that's the reason to buy the MP.  I prefer having the logo/dot and the lever-winder.

Edited by Mikep996

2 hours ago, leica-curious said:

For those planning to purchase the new M6, why are you selecting it over the MP beside the lower price?

They're not that much different in price, depending where you're buying.

I have cameras with both knob rewind and crank, and I am happy with either, but marginally prefer the crank. I have the articulated wind-on lever on the M4, and I'm happy with it, but would also be happy with the simpler version.

I would get the M6 over the MP because it is a redesign internally, so more likely to be repairable, at a lower cost, into the distant future. This issue has already been argued to death in other threads; all I would say to those who see the M6 as nothing but a MP with a new skin (so both have equal repair prospects): you may believe what you like, but that would be my reason - if I were to buy the M6 - which I'm not - for the moment.

I have not read all the different threads about the new M6 but have a couple of comments and a few questions.  First, I don't own an M6 but do own an MP.  If I didn't own the MP but did own an original M6, and I had the money to spare, I might upgrade to the M6 just for knowing the electronics are replaceable.  This assumes the new electronics do not work in an original M6.  Does anyone know if the electronics are interchangeable?  If not, is it a coincidence that Leica announced within the last year they no longer have replacement electronics for the original M6?  

Finally, what will a new version do to the pre-owned M6 market?  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

47 minutes ago, RayD28 said:

I have not read all the different threads about the new M6 but have a couple of comments and a few questions.  First, I don't own an M6 but do own an MP.  If I didn't own the MP but did own an original M6, and I had the money to spare, I might upgrade to the M6 just for knowing the electronics are replaceable.  This assumes the new electronics do not work in an original M6.  Does anyone know if the electronics are interchangeable?  If not, is it a coincidence that Leica announced within the last year they no longer have replacement electronics for the original M6?  

Finally, what will a new version do to the pre-owned M6 market?  

It was said, the internals aren’t the same and most very likely not transferrable 

6 hours ago, leica-curious said:

For those planning to purchase the new M6, why are you selecting it over the MP beside the lower price?

Because I like the red dot and the engraved name. And the slanted rewind crank. It's a timeless design. 
To me it feels as if Jaguar had brought back the E-Type with a modern engine and modern brakes. Why would I buy an XF when I could have that?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mikep996 said:

"

I don't mind the red dot, but the big white "Leica M6" branding is pretty unappealing compared to the clean design of the MP. "

I am, and always have been, a fan of both!  Never understood the blackout thing - as if suddenly people can't see you?  That whole, "Nobody notices you with a Leica" (or other smaller camera) is just silly.  True, they may not think you are shooting a movie but they definitely can see you are taking pictures.

I've traveled my entire life with a camera - at various times with pretty much every well-know brand.  The ONLY time in my life another person actually paid any attention to the camera brand was in Peru a few years ago.  I guy walking by on the street said, (in Spanish) "Hey, nice camera."  Turned out he was carrying the exact same model Olympus and lens so we laughed and congratulated each other on our good taste.  

Why a new M6 over the MP?  As noted, per the pricing I have seen, a new M6 is $400 less expensive than a new MP and appears to be functionally the same other than the rewind lever/button.  So Leica HAS produced a "less expensive M camera." at the same quality level.  If you don't want the Leica dot/logo and prefer the button winder, that's the reason to buy the MP.  I prefer having the logo/dot and the lever-winder.

My post did not mention and had nothing to do with visibility or blackout. It was, or I intended it to be, purely about aesthetic preference. 

John

Edited by johnwolf

TokyoCamerastyle posted this on Instagram yesterday.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkE1a1jyz7J/

A few things I learned about the M6 last week, directly from Jesko von Oeynhausen, the global director of product Photo at Leica and head of the M6 revival project:

-Originally, from 1984-2002 about 175,000 original M6 bodies were produced. The M6 is 43% M3. The RF is based on the M2. I've heard that the MP is 75% M6. Now, I'm not good at math but that adds up to 100% Leica M. (43+75 . . .Is it 118%?). It is an M6.

-The M6 is in production now for as long as there is a market.
The MP and M-A aren't going anywhere- other than out the factory doors and into customer hands, that is. The M6 is an addition to the line. Leica said that they're working to keep up with rising demand for new film cameras and are likewise upscaling production. Remember, Leica isn't where it was in the mid-2000s- they are currently doing the best in their 100 year history. (look it up). Digital is great for them. To insist that the M6 rerelease is a "cash grab" is, from what I know, rather ignorant. They don't *need* to do this- but out of respect for 35mm film and their history with it, they thankfully are. I'm not saying this because of my new camera and four glorious mornings with the hotel breakfast buffet- Leica genuinely loves and supports photography. (this is a future post)

-In an interview session I asked what the re-release of the M6 means for M repairs. He said it absolutely ensures production of new parts that can be used for older cameras. (He also said that when the M6 was announced internally, Leica's service center staff rejoiced because the resurgence in film has meant an increase in older bodies sent in to be brought back up to spec.)
This includes the M6 light meter. Actually, Jesko said that one of the difficulties in bringing the M6 back was sourcing similar parts for the meter's electronics. Great news for anyone with a currently-meterless M6.

-Was there ever talk of naming it the M6-P or M6-2? No, not at all. From the start, it was the M6. Finally: Silver chrome? No.
- - - - - - - - - - -
These are just some quick notes- There’s still a lot I’d like to share from my time in Wetzlar last week- stay tuned. #leicam6 #camerastyle

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

If you are in the US I recommend on getting one from England just because of the exchange rate.  You can use it and sell it for more than you bought it for, or at the very least not lose any money on it.  It is (or was when ai bought mine) $1400 cheaper buying from the UK shipping to the US.

47 minutes ago, mediumformula said:

TokyoCamerastyle posted this on Instagram yesterday.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkE1a1jyz7J/

A few things I learned about the M6 last week, directly from Jesko von Oeynhausen, the global director of product Photo at Leica and head of the M6 revival project:

-Originally, from 1984-2002 about 175,000 original M6 bodies were produced. The M6 is 43% M3. The RF is based on the M2. I've heard that the MP is 75% M6. Now, I'm not good at math but that adds up to 100% Leica M. (43+75 . . .Is it 118%?). It is an M6.

-The M6 is in production now for as long as there is a market.
The MP and M-A aren't going anywhere- other than out the factory doors and into customer hands, that is. The M6 is an addition to the line. Leica said that they're working to keep up with rising demand for new film cameras and are likewise upscaling production. Remember, Leica isn't where it was in the mid-2000s- they are currently doing the best in their 100 year history. (look it up). Digital is great for them. To insist that the M6 rerelease is a "cash grab" is, from what I know, rather ignorant. They don't *need* to do this- but out of respect for 35mm film and their history with it, they thankfully are. I'm not saying this because of my new camera and four glorious mornings with the hotel breakfast buffet- Leica genuinely loves and supports photography. (this is a future post)

-In an interview session I asked what the re-release of the M6 means for M repairs. He said it absolutely ensures production of new parts that can be used for older cameras. (He also said that when the M6 was announced internally, Leica's service center staff rejoiced because the resurgence in film has meant an increase in older bodies sent in to be brought back up to spec.)
This includes the M6 light meter. Actually, Jesko said that one of the difficulties in bringing the M6 back was sourcing similar parts for the meter's electronics. Great news for anyone with a currently-meterless M6.

-Was there ever talk of naming it the M6-P or M6-2? No, not at all. From the start, it was the M6. Finally: Silver chrome? No.
- - - - - - - - - - -
These are just some quick notes- There’s still a lot I’d like to share from my time in Wetzlar last week- stay tuned. #leicam6 #camerastyle

None of that sounds like a new/new redesigned camera.

55 minutes ago, Huss said:

If you are in the US I recommend on getting one from England just because of the exchange rate.  You can use it and sell it for more than you bought it for, or at the very least not lose any money on it.  It is (or was when ai bought mine) $1400 cheaper buying from the UK shipping to the US.

In six-eight months time there will be a bunch of these on the used market, when many find out that a. film isn’t cheap, and b. film has terrible resolution and “noise”. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, oldwino said:

In six-eight months time there will be a bunch of these on the used market, when many find out that a. film isn’t cheap, and b. film has terrible resolution and “noise”. 

I think people are aware of film by now.  And the newbies are attracted to it because it is not digital i.e resolution etc.

I really don’t think the M6 or any Leica attracts the no idea about film photography crowd.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, oldwino said:

If someone can drop over 5K (plus a lens don't forget) on a new camera I doubt they would consider the cost of a roll of film to be prohibitive!

Terrible resolution and noise? Oh dear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1