How many will get a M6

lmans

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is a simple trick to using the M6/M6n/MP "classic" shutter dial with metering.

Slide your fingertip across the front of the shutter dial towards the pointy end of the exposure arrow that is illuminated, until the center dot comes on alone. So as to "prick your finger" on the arrow's point.

>•<      (    )<<<<<<<<    or     (    )>>>>>>>>  >•<

For those with flexible minds, this takes about 15 seconds of mental/muscle training to make it habitual.

BTW, when the dial direction was changed for the M6TTL and M7, it was done by introducing an idler gear into the gear chain to the shutter clockwork. Which is why those cameras are 2-3mm taller than the classic M3 through M6 (excepting maybe M5).

If you want the classic M6 (MP/M-A) size, the classic dial direction is part of the package deal.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Huss said:

No, because you are now using your forefinger and your thumb is still being fouled by the advance lever.  

The simple fact is the M6ttl and M7’s shutter speed dials move in the correct way in relation to the arrows in the vf. It is the one thing I find frustrating about my MP.

And yet I find it perfectly easy (and natural) to use forefinger and thumb. Your mileage (or perhaps the size of your thumb) may vary.

With a simple mental adjustment you may find that frustration goes away, though of course swapping between similar cameras that work differently can be confusing.

3 minutes ago, adan said:

There is a simple trick to using the M6/M6n/MP "classic" shutter dial with metering.

Slide your fingertip across the front of the shutter dial towards the pointy end of the exposure arrow that is illuminated, until the center dot comes on alone. So as to "prick your finger" on the arrow's point.

>•<      (    )<<<<<<<<    or     (    )>>>>>>>>  >•<

For those with flexible minds, this takes about 15 seconds of mental/muscle training to make it habitual.

BTW, when the dial direction was changed for the M6TTL and M7, it was done by introducing an idler gear into the gear chain to the shutter clockwork. Which is why those cameras are 2-3mm taller than the classic M3 through M6 (excepting maybe M5).

If you want the classic M6 (MP/M-A) size, the classic dial direction is part of the package deal.

That's a good rule of thumb - or, er, index finger 😉.  Will keep this in mind if I ever get a metered M camera with the 'Classic' arrangement.

Edited by logan2z

1 minute ago, Anbaric said:

And yet I find it perfectly easy (and natural) to use forefinger and thumb. Your mileage (or perhaps the size of your thumb) may vary.

With a simple mental adjustment you may find that frustration goes away, though of course swapping between similar cameras that work differently can be confusing.

The fact that you have to use your forefinger says it all.  It is not a thumbwheel.  You don’t even have to use your thumb if you use your forefinger, it is easy to turn it with just that finger.  Which shows the intention of the design, and the unfortunate choice of rotation direction given that Leica got it right with the M6 TTL.

Leica just reverted to the old pre metered body functionality as a nod to tradition.

On 10/27/2022 at 3:55 PM, stephen.w said:

There can't be very many 4xxxxxx M7s out there - Mine is a late 3xxxxxx and was ordered shortly before the a la carte program ended.

My. black M7 came fresh from Wetzlar in 2015, serial number 3999xxx.  

Really must put it to use more, it is sitting here in its pristine glory with a fresh roll of Acros 100 residing in it, waiting for me to stop picking up my M10M...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Huss said:

The fact that you have to use your forefinger says it all.  It is not a thumbwheel.  You don’t even have to use your thumb if you use your forefinger, it is easy to turn it with just that finger.  Which shows the intention of the design, and the unfortunate choice of rotation direction given that Leica got it right with the M6 TTL.

Leica just reverted to the old pre metered body functionality as a nod to tradition.

You can be as dogmatic as you like about this, but some of us find it a little easier to turn the dial with both finger and thumb, which is something that has (inevitably!) been discussed previously on various forums. But that's hardly the point. Bearing in mind the simple concept that the side of the dial nearest to the photographer moves in the direction of the arrow is an easy way to follow the meter reading. Adan's trick is another. I'm sure other M6/MP users have their own ways of thinking about this. In any case, it doesn't exactly require advanced mental gymnastics.

Yes, clearly they wanted to get as close to the M6 Classic as possible. The traditional rotation also helps them to keep the body size the same as the Classic and the MP because they don't need the extra idler gear arrangement (see Adan's post).

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have posted several times in this thread that I don't want a new M6, that I have more than enough film cameras, and I'm enjoying my M4 more than ever, though I admitted that if I bought a new film M it would be the M6.

Today I placed an order for a new black paint MP. I have no real excuse other than that it'll be nice to have a meter and I can put different colour film in it (it's Portra 400 in the M4). It will look and feel more different from the M4 than the M6 would (wind-on lever, rewind knob, no red dot etc). It's on back order - it might arrive sometime in the next couple of years.

I convinced my in-house asset manager that, as new photographic kit goes, a MP BP stands a better chance of not losing money than most other options.

This will be my first new film camera since a Pentax MX in 1980.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I have posted several times in this thread that I don't want a new M6, that I have more than enough film cameras, and I'm enjoying my M4 more than ever, though I admitted that if I bought a new film M it would be the M6.

Today I placed an order for a new black paint MP. I have no real excuse other than that it'll be nice to have a meter and I can put different colour film in it (it's Portra 400 in the M4). It will look and feel more different from the M4 than the M6 would (wind-on lever, rewind knob, no red dot etc). It's on back order - it might arrive sometime in the next couple of years.

I convinced my in-house asset manager that, as new photographic kit goes, a MP BP stands a better chance of not losing money than most other options.

Congratulations.  I recently did the same thing - well, I put my name on a waiting list - and I don't like metered cameras.  But the BP finish swayed me.  Who knows when the camera will actually become available and I may change my mind before then - especially if my M2 is returned from being re-serviced (ahem) by Wetzlar by that time.  We'll see... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Congratulations. Sounds like money well spent to me 👍

• Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 4:52 AM, Anbaric said:

You can be as dogmatic as you like about this, but some of us find it a little easier to turn the dial with both finger and thumb, which is something that has (inevitably!) been discussed previously on various forums. But that's hardly the point. Bearing in mind the simple concept that the side of the dial nearest to the photographer moves in the direction of the arrow is an easy way to follow the meter reading. Adan's trick is another. I'm sure other M6/MP users have their own ways of thinking about this. In any case, it doesn't exactly require advanced mental gymnastics.

Yes, clearly they wanted to get as close to the M6 Classic as possible. The traditional rotation also helps them to keep the body size the same as the Classic and the MP because they don't need the extra idler gear arrangement (see Adan's post).

I originally bought the TTL as my first film M. My logic was that having the same dial size and direction as my digital M would make the whole process of interchanging bodies seamless.  

When I later bought a smaller-dialled film M I realised I shouldn’t have worried. You tend to naturally correctly operate the one that is in your hand and I use TTL and MP in the same shoot with no issues whatsoever.    

I’m a forefinger-only dial mover (easy with both of my 2 bodies with small dial).  FWIW, my way of “remembering” that I’ve found very effective is that for any camera with the small dial, move the dial toward the arrow itself. For the larger dial, move through direction the arrow points.  

Muscle memory is a marvellous thing and just the feel of the dial makes me go in the correct direction even when using both dials at the “same” time.  👍

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

I bought an MP a year ago to go with my digital Leica’s and loved it - thought no need for the M6 ‘I have an MP’……………a few weeks ago the new M6 arrived. Couldn’t resist as my first Leica was a used M6. An early Christmas present, so now B&W film in one and colour in the other - works perfectly!! I know I’m weak but I also added the new 35mm 1.4 Steel Rim and it’s just perfect on film to. 

Edited by SJH
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

The best thing about the new M cameras are the multicoated finder window. They improve contrast and make focusing easier. In 2012 I bought an unused M6 TTL Millennium from KEH. Used it for a while and sent it to the factory for the finder upgrade. I couldn’t believe the difference that one change made. I really love my M4 but miss the finder on the M6.  Enjoy it but don’t ignore your M4.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tom.w.bn said:

My first Leica was an original M6. I struggled with the small dial many years. Thought that more practice might solve the issue. It didn't. Selling the camera solved the issue. There is no way back to a Leica with the small dial for me.

M5, M6ttl, M7 have beautiful big dials.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tom.w.bn said:

My first Leica was an original M6. I struggled with the small dial many years. Thought that more practice might solve the issue. It didn't. Selling the camera solved the issue. There is no way back to a Leica with the small dial for me.

I use M cameras both with big and small dials in parallel. I really don't care which dial size it is. The only thing sometimes offsetting me is the different directions the dials go. I never found the logic behind the change comprehensible that the rotation aligns with the aperture ring movement. It actually doesn't even work for me since I am using M/LTM lenses of multiple brands where the aperture change direction isn't consistent either. So I simply rotate and see how it affects the metering arrows in the viewfinder.