Leitz Wetzlar Portable Copy Stand

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone have information about a Leitz Wetzlar Portable Copy Stand. I have been trying to find out more details about this and have had little progress.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Plusfour
misspelling
  • Like 1

• Plusfour changed the title to Leitz Wetzlar Portable Copy Stand

The big handle is the characterizing feature... with the hand activated facility for fine focus adjustment : not 100% sure... but I think it can be the 16707 : a device dating to '60s for M cameras (maybe for Leicaflex too) , It was surely provided also with its own base, and in this case probably the column was fitted onto, not with the clamp here depicted.

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

These copy stand parts are derived from the Valoy II enlarger.  The clamp is ZPOOK (not part of Valoy II).  The column with the black rail is 65cm OKZPO or 80cm VOOQF (part of Valoy II).  The arm with course and fine controls is OKYNO (also part of Valoy II).  The 90 degree piece is UWOOS (attaches to OKYNO when the entire enlarging head is removed).  UWOOS was available with 1/4 or 3/8 in threads on the screw.  If your complete copy stand had a baseboard, it would be OVURO.  Leitz used common parts between enlargers and copy stands.

UWOOS is set up for a Focoslide base.  To get the flat bottom of an SLR to fit, there is a anit-rotation pin that has probably been removed.

16707 is a later copy stand.  It has a slightly different set up at the end of the arm to attach a camera or a Visoflex II / III reflex housing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are right... 👌 I found this catalog and 16748 was indeed previously coded as OKYNO

And here you can see also the clamp 17508 former ZPOOK

you can see

Edited by luigi bertolotti

This is very helpful. Something has been taken off on the side where the camera is mounted. Probably the anti-rotation pin. Thanks for all the help! 

33 minutes ago, jc_braconi said:

I have the same handle mounted on a column fixed on a wood plate..

Interesting, I was not aware of all the combinations available for this. Thanks for the info!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The are hundreds of combinations of arms, columns, baseboards, adapters, lights and other related equipment.  The real portable copy stands are STARE (pre-War) and OMEXO (post-War).  These two even have canvas carrying bags to wrap everything up in. There must be more than two dozen codes for complete copy stand sets.  Just for Reprovits, there were:  two versions of the Reprovit I, the Reprovit II, the Reprovit IIa and the Reprovit R.

Leitz copy equipment doesn't get a whole lot of love from collectors.  One of the problems is that the TELEX codes are seldom engraved on the parts.  But even worse the name Leitz is seldom engraved on the parts.  The pre-War stands and parts are very hard to find.  Likely much of it was thrown in scrap metal bins.

Focaslides / Focoslides (both spellings were used) are what connect the Leica camera to the copy stand, allowing through the lens focusing.  These are very plentiful and are nearly free on the price scale for used Leica equipment.  The Canon equivalent, the Panta / Panto close focusing slide, is much rarer and is nearly 10x the price of a Focaslide.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zeitz said:

The are hundreds of combinations of arms, columns, baseboards, adapters, lights and other related equipment.  The real portable copy stands are STARE (pre-War) and OMEXO (post-War).  These two even have canvas carrying bags to wrap everything up in. There must be more than two dozen codes for complete copy stand sets.  Just for Reprovits, there were:  two versions of the Reprovit I, the Reprovit II, the Reprovit IIa and the Reprovit R.

Leitz copy equipment doesn't get a whole lot of love from collectors.  One of the problems is that the TELEX codes are seldom engraved on the parts.  But even worse the name Leitz is seldom engraved on the parts.  The pre-War stands and parts are very hard to find.  Likely much of it was thrown in scrap metal bins.

Focaslides / Focoslides (both spellings were used) are what connect the Leica camera to the copy stand, allowing through the lens focusing.  These are very plentiful and are nearly free on the price scale for used Leica equipment.  The Canon equivalent, the Panta / Panto close focusing slide, is much rarer and is nearly 10x the price of a Focaslide.

A lot of good information. Thanks!

for illustration OMEXO

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I just received another OMEXO and have four in my collection. From observations and all available photos, such as the above excellent one, and included items, as listed in only a few catalogs, I believe there might have been two very similar versions with slightly different components.

Version 1  used the ZWTOO focus mount and early extension tubes. And, likely did not contain the  VALOO. Also, the steadying rods were not leather restrained in the canvas case. It seems here that the case was a brown or brownish/slightly green canvas. This  version may have also had cm engravings on the horizontal bar. Right photo.

Version 2 used the ZOOXY focusing head with greater travel, and thus the only included extension tube was the 26mm ROOYH. The VALOO had a different leather holder in the case, which was now a dark green and had the small leather straps to hold the long steady rods. My horizontal bars in this version are unengraved. The previous post would be this version. Left Photo.

In all cases, my thought is that the KGOON tripod head should be mounted in the lower right corner next to the short vertical rod, when in the case. The component locations in the case vary with the version. Both versions are marked up to 62cm. on the vertical rod. I have not yet encountered an OMEXO with inch engravings.

• Like 5