Taping, when home-spooling film

Xícara de Café

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't like plastic cassettes, there are metal ones available that have tighter caps. I got mine at Freestyle Camera. For tape, I was doing a lot of bulk loaded E6 a while back, the labs I took the film to really didn't like masking tape, said it gummed up their machines. One lab gave me a roll of the 3M tape they used, much stickier. The one thing to remeber no matter what tape you use is to have the tape adhere to both sides of the film. If you are processing the film yourself masking tape is fine, but labs may not like it especially if you are sending in multiple rolls. 

39 minutes ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

the labs I took the film to really didn't like masking tape

If I’m going to be bulk loading film canisters, may as well do my own development too.

On 10/10/2022 at 6:53 PM, Pyrogallol said:

I have now revised my recommendation on plastic cassettes. I think now they are not the best if you are using older screw Leicas, I think the early bodies have tighter tolerance on the size of the cassette causing the plastic ones to be a tight fit and can jam when inserting them. I just went to load one in an early 111 body and it did not want to drop in. The FILCA cassettes are best for screw bodies. But even then they can vary and the odd one might not engage with the base locking key on some bodies, but be ok in others, but they are all getting on towards 100 years old.

vor 16 Stunden schrieb OThomas:

If I’m going to be bulk loading film canisters, may as well do my own development too.

Very true for black and white, but color is a different story. Unfortunately E6 color is rare if non existant in 100ft 33m rolls. I have found 400 ft rolls of positive movie film, but nothing for standard 35mm film. Oh on the plastic cassettes, they didn't play well with my bulk loaders, they wouldn't stay in place and the film would start wrapping around the outside of the cassette, no such problem with the metal cassettes.