Best small flash for Leica Q / Q2 for indoors

trstahly

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/19/2023 at 2:43 AM, jwr50 said:

Are you sure you really need a flash for the Q3?  Check out the ISO range of the sensor on the Q3.

If you decide you still want one, I find that the Leica SF-40 works really well with the Q3.

Good advice. I bought an SF-40 for my Q2 about 2 years ago. I tested it and it works well, but I still haven't used it!

I wanted a fill flash (which will likely be rarely used) that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg and doesn’t take up much space in my bag. I just received delivery of a Godox Lux Junior and think it will fit the bill. It only cost US$70, is tiny and light, and works fine on the Q3 in manual mode (which I don’t mind). From what I’ve read it also works on the Q3 in auto mode but with somewhat less satisfactory results. Just what I needed for my very small kit bag so that I’ll actually have it with me when I need it. 

• 3 months later...
On 4/19/2023 at 9:35 PM, SirBlunder said:

Update for anyone interested: Returned the Godox Lux Junior. Cool unit for what it is and good value for sure, but it's just too cheaply built and quirky looking. Feels like it's... fragile. 

Ended up buying a used Nissin i40 from eBay for about $85 shipped in 90% condition. (NOTE: Be sure to buy a FUJI one and not a Sony one; the Sony ones won't fit a Leica)

Although it's bigger than what I wanted, it's SUCH better quality lighting and production than the Godox for essentially the same price. Far more versatility as well. And considering that you can get basically 95% of the SF 40 (essentially a Leica branded Nissin) for ~20% of the price, you can't really go wrong as long as you're OK shooting manual vs. TTL. 

Overall highly recommend the Nissin i40 if you're looking for a high quality compact(ish) flash. 

Another update: I ordered this about a month ago. They claim that it's "probably" the smallest flash in the world. Hasn't arrived yet, but I'll send an update when it does. 

https://reflxlab.com/products/pre-order-reflx-lab-mini-flash

On 8/6/2023 at 6:14 PM, TDE-Photo said:

Does anyone have experience with that flash? Is it working with TTL on the Q3?

https://www.meike-shop.de/Meike-Speedlite-MK-320-TTL-Blitz-fuer-Panasonic-Olympus-Leica-Kameras

You  probably found out by now. No, it won't do TTL on the Q3. Panaleicas only. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As it's been pointed out, the Fuji EF-X20 is an excellent companion with the Q series, it just feels sleek and compact:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

((Q1 here, sorry!))

With a little bit of patience you can find one for £250-300. It's definitely pricey but it's a great flash. I use it at min power (1/64) and often cover half of the flash with a finger - it does the job!!
Lightweight, compact, powerful and compact....the manual controls are really nice and responsive.

I used to own a Leica SF-20 flash, I hated the shape and way more clicks to control it.

Wow what a great thread!! I use the q2 with on camera flash A LOT.. probably won’t appeal to a lot of you here, but its for a very “point and shoot”ish style approach.. i’ve actually been stockpiling sf20’s and sf24ds. So far they’re the best ones i’ve used. I’d love it if they were a little closer to the lens, so the shadows were less pronounced, but otherwise they’re great. My one complaint about the sf’s is when it’s a backlit scene i can’t figure out the manual mode, buttons dont seem to do anything (i suppose i should read the manual eh?).

The head has a really beautiful sparkle to it, and when i tried the Godox thing, i just didn’t like the light quality anywhere near as much. Given that the Leicas are $800 AU and the Godox is about $100, the Godox is still pretty good. 

I saw someone talking about HSS.. for those of you that arent aware, the q series has a leaf shutter and can sync anywhere up to 1/2000th mechanically. Brilliant. 

sf24d ALSO works really well on the SL2, by the way.

picked up two sets of the Lightpix the other week.. i haven’t used them for work yet, but i’m thrilled with them. They also come with cute little gel kits, and have a really beautiful light quality. 

here’s a few examples. Will add lightpix to a new comment (i hit my limit!)

all q2 with sf24d, except the man in front of the shelves, which is sl2.  

• Like 2

Lightpix flashes with my kids the day they arrived.. can’t wait to fiddle with these. I think they’re going to make great catch light flashes on complex portrait lighting setups as well if i can find a way to trigger them with profoto heads. 

• Like 2

On 12/5/2023 at 3:48 AM, jonnyboy said:

As it's been pointed out, the Fuji EF-X20 is an excellent companion with the Q series, it just feels sleek and compact:

((Q1 here, sorry!))

With a little bit of patience you can find one for £250-300. It's definitely pricey but it's a great flash. I use it at min power (1/64) and often cover half of the flash with a finger - it does the job!!
Lightweight, compact, powerful and compact....the manual controls are really nice and responsive.

I used to own a Leica SF-20 flash, I hated the shape and way more clicks to control it.

I keep meaning to try these!! So it talks to the camera okay for auto mode?? How fascinating.,. Can’t wait to try. Just managed to find one in Australia for $260 (about 160 euros).. what the hell! What a steal!

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 3:11 AM, jaapv said:

You  probably found out by now. No, it won't do TTL on the Q3. Panaleicas only. 

Yup. I got one on my shelf that definitely does not work on Leica. 

Funny story.. The importer were like “no, the manufacturer says it does work”.. Then I’d reply “well here’s a video showing that it does not work”. “The manufacturer is in china and cannot view videos”.

They just refunded it. Wild.

22 hours ago, Kristofferpaulsen said:

I keep meaning to try these!! So it talks to the camera okay for auto mode?? How fascinating.,. Can’t wait to try. Just managed to find one in Australia for $260 (about 160 euros).. what the hell! What a steal!

I'm not sure it works on Auto, I've use it on Manual as the dial on the top make it so quick and easy to switch settings. You definitely got a massive bargain with that price, good catch!

5 hours ago, jonnyboy said:

I'm not sure it works on Auto, I've use it on Manual as the dial on the top make it so quick and easy to switch settings. You definitely got a massive bargain with that price, good catch!

Ohh got it. Well, either way.. I’m happy!

Oh also.. I got reprimanded for “flooding the thread” with pictures. Apologies to anyone I may have offended. 

14 hours ago, Kristofferpaulsen said:

Oh also.. I got reprimanded for “flooding the thread” with pictures. Apologies to anyone I may have offended. 

Personally I love the pictures for whatever that is worth! As far as the Fuji flash goes, manual only but it fits great on a Leica and works brilliantly in manual mode. The Reflx Lab mini flash looks like it is not even taking back orders, bummer. It looks nice, is small and is rechargeable. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Kristofferpaulsen said:

Who reprimanded you…I hope not one of the mods.

It is after all a camera/PHOTOGRAPHY forum.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BruceRH said:

Personally I love the pictures for whatever that is worth! As far as the Fuji flash goes, manual only but it fits great on a Leica and works brilliantly in manual mode. The Reflx Lab mini flash looks like it is not even taking back orders, bummer. It looks nice, is small and is rechargeable. 

I know right. I told him i’ll try not be as helpful in the future. (Also, thanks)

you must be looking at the wrong one, i found mine super easy on amazon.. try this

LightPix Labs FlashQ Q20II 474972 https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B010VEYV9U?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share