New edition of the Leica Summilux-M 1.4/35mm ASPH.

Ken Abrahams

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 minutes ago, Ken Abrahams said:

Yes, the Leica Australia store prices are always tax included so it works out pretty much the same.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to, unless I am missing something in my understanding. For example, for local US purchasers:

US $5400 + approx 7% state tax (as mentioned by US posters here) = $5800 USD inc Tax .  At AUD8650 (today's rate) that's AUD550 less than our $9300 local purchase price.

Now that particular example may well be because the US dollar is strong at the moment, but the problem is the same holds true for UK market, and the pound is weak at the moment v AUD.  

For UK locals Price in UK is 4950 pounds inc. Tax . At AUD8500 (today's rate) that's AUD800 less than our local purchase price.

So it seems that we are paying significantly over versus both these 2 examples.  UK VAT is around 17% and our GST 10%, so the difference is certainly not in locally applied taxes.

Not exactly complaining, just observing .... and in saying all of this we are a long way away from Portugal (I mean Wetzlar :D  )

5 minutes ago, grahamc said:

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to, unless I am missing something in my understanding. For example, for local US purchasers:

US $5400 + approx 7% state tax (as mentioned by US posters here) = $5800 USD inc Tax .  At AUD8650 (today's rate) that's AUD550 less than our $9300 local purchase price.

Now that particular example may well be because the US dollar is strong at the moment, but the problem is the same holds true for UK market, and the pound is weak at the moment v AUD.  

For UK locals Price in UK is 4950 pounds inc. Tax . At AUD8500 (today's rate) that's AUD800 less than our local purchase price.

So it seems that we are paying significantly over versus both these 2 examples.  UK VAT is around 17% and our GST 10%, so the difference is certainly not in locally applied taxes.

Not exactly complaining, just observing .... and in saying all of this we are a long way away from Portugal (I mean Wetzlar :D  )

i've found over the years that leica australia will cynically set prices at just under what you could import lenses or cameras for from the US or HK and not the equivalent, the extra 550 may allow for some of the duty or other costs 

• Like 1

U

8 minutes ago, grahamc said:

FYI UK VAT is 20% and sales tax here in NYC is 8.875%.

The pound/dollar rate is such that I would buy from the UK (exported tax free). 

Silver version is listed by Red Dot at £4250 excluding VAT which is roughly $4880.
Leica USA price is $5595 + tax.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, hillavoider said:

i've found over the years that leica australia will cynically set prices at just under what you could import lenses or cameras for from the US or HK and not the equivalent, the extra 550 may allow for some of the duty or other costs 

Yes, it looks like when comparing apples for apples  (i.e. local resident purchaser, inc Tax) we are priced very much over .

Let's just think of the beaches 

Edited by grahamc
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, NigelG said:

U

FYI UK VAT is 20% and sales tax here in NYC is 8.875%.

The pound/dollar rate is such that I would buy from the UK (exported tax free). 

Silver version is listed by Red Dot at £4250 excluding VAT which is roughly $4880.
Leica USA price is $5595 + tax.

You must be loving this US dollar strength .. :D

Oh well, back to camera-talk - sorry to derail us everyone 

9 minutes ago, grahamc said:

Yes, it looks like when comparing apples for apples  (i.e. local resident purchaser, inc Tax) we are priced very much over .

Let's just think of the beaches 

Must be the price of aviation fuel or some such covid logistical surcharge that Australians must pay.

• Like 1

Does anybody here have any experience with this new style integrated hood?

Does it become loose or rattle over time?
Does it ever jam with dust etc? 

I like the idea of being able to order a replacement hood if I ever damaged it.

Edited by mrmalo

15 minutes ago, mrmalo said:

Looks the same as the 50 and 75 apo which is very good to use. Mine are not loose or rattle after many years.
50 apo still the king as it has a slide on cap 

Edited by hillavoider
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, hillavoider said:

Looks the same as the 50 and 75 apo which is very good to use. Mine are not loose or rattle after many years.
50 apo still the king as it has a slide on cap 

That's great to know!

I use the metal slide on cap from the APO Summicron-M 35mm on my FLE when the ring protector is attached. I wonder if it will still fit on the FLEv2.

19 hours ago, Al Brown said:

It should be a matter of honor. One should not be a player if he/she won't go along with the rules of the game.

I don’t see any honor or other moral issues involved. If someone decides not to buy if it’s his turn, there is no harm done to anyone if the next one in the line can buy. There’s so much time between announcement and availability that anything can happen in between. You can’t blame a customer for that. 

Ordered mine, no expected delivery date yet.

I was on the market for an FLE but got a Nokton 1.2 and love it.  The small improvements over the FLE may not justify an upgrade over that lens, but they do justify to me an upgrade over the Nokton. 11 blades, 0.4 focusing and the hood (which I like in the 50) Are all very expelling to me.  That plus the performance that, even if equal to the FLE is probably better than the Voigtlander.

I have then 35 Cron, terrific lens and perfect size, but I actually use the Nokton more for the close focusing and the slight softness, plus the very, very creamy bokeh. It is basically a 3 that behaves like a 75.

I don’t really favor the “nervous” bokeh of the FLE, that is something i really like better on the Nokton 1.2, I am hoping that is corrected with the 11 blade system.

1 hour ago, otto.f said:

I don’t see any honor or other moral issues involved. If someone decides not to buy if it’s his turn, there is no harm done to anyone if the next one in the line can buy. There’s so much time between announcement and availability that anything can happen in between. You can’t blame a customer for that. 

BUY BUY BUY! and then there is a special edition!

I will wait few months and buy one used ;-). I have FLE and it still wonderful .

I suppose they are updating all popular lenses to close focus. no need to limit yourself , 50 Summilux should come soon too. Well my Noctilux will not come with close focus.

5 hours ago, mrmalo said:

This hood is a bit of a joke in my opinion. Convenient from a functional design standpoint but low reliability for real use protection compared to FLE square external version. I had my 50 Lux Asph. “dropping” without almost noticing and thankfully Leica fixed at no cost but I didn’t dare to do it myself… It’s a bit delicate mechanism to be honest. I much rather like the external sturdy version way better but perhaps less convenient, especially for filter changing. Cheers and enjoy all 35mm are amazing!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mikeamosau said:

Don’t really understand the new design philosophy for these newer M lenses. The rangefinder system is not made for close focus without the EVF… and then if using that, what’s the point of the system? 

I wonder if it's more Where else is there to go?? M rangefinder apparatus has been perfect for many moons already (pun intended)!