New edition of the Leica Summilux-M 1.4/35mm ASPH.

Ken Abrahams

1 hour ago, hdmesa said:

I think the only language barrier is your misperception about the joke being mean-spirited. People with English as their native language make these silly joke with ourselves all the time. In other words, culturally in most English-speaking places, it’s considered light-hearted to joke about taking someone literally or even intentionally misunderstanding them simply to make the joke. There is no malice toward non-native speakers since we joke this way with everyone.

Thanks for trying to explain but it is just bad manners and disrespectful in my world to make fun of someone else for not being able to express himself clearly in a different language. Just not right kicking someone down to get a better feeling about yourself. Like being in the playground at kindergarten and bullying another kid while his friend are laughing with him. That is what I see happening.

59 minutes ago, mboerma said:

Thanks for trying to explain but it is just bad manners and disrespectful in my world to make fun of someone else for not being able to express himself clearly in a different language. Just not right kicking someone down to get a better feeling about yourself. Like being in the playground at kindergarten and bullying another kid while his friend are laughing with him. That is what I see happening.

Even I, who speaks English very poorly, and who also has a diagnosis that means I am bad at understanding human interactions, immediately understood that this was an innocent joke. I thought it was very funny and didn't think for a second that this was meant to hurt anyone. I was very surprised that it was even possible to interpret it differently.

I'm convinced that everyone who laughed at the joke was laughing because the poster was making a fool of himself, not because they thought you were asking a stupid question.

Edited by evikne
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

vor 37 Minuten schrieb evikne:

understood that this was an innocent joke

So did I. And mboerma's English was not bad or misleading. Everyone could understand his question. The question was probably deliberately misunderstood in order to be able to make the joke. I like to do that kind of thing too. The joke itself was not personally hurtful or otherwise malicious in my opinion. Just a little joke. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, mboerma said:

Can anyone explain what the difference in minimal focus distance between the APO and the new FLE implies? 30cm for the APO and 40cm for the FLE II. Is this a big difference?

I just got my 35Apo yesterday. For portraits, 30cm is too close (I hadn't shot a portrait from 30cm for ages, so forgot what such a portrait would look like). 40cm is acceptable (rather close but not too tight). If I shot below 70cm, I'd probably be sticking between 50cm to 60cm on a 35mm. 

I suspect the 35FLE v2 doesn't go down to 30cm for three reasons. 1) on the 35Apo, the travel on the distance scale between 40cm to 30cm is quite long - I'd say about 60 degrees or more. I don't think the 35FLE had that much room on the lens barrel to add that extra close focus 2) the 35FLEs close focus at such distances may not perform to Leica's standards 3) 40cm is about right for portraits (you needn't go closer and can always crop in a little if you want to shoot other stuff) and the 35FLE would be my pick over the 35APO for environmental portraiture. For such use, you needn't the extra 10cm (if Huss's math is right)

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Please be advised that this forum is 7.34% silly jokes, puns and dark humor. It is an integral part of the terms and conditions agreement when you sign up 😏 because of this thing called Internet.
I for one love it that way as long as it is not rude or dissing a person in some bad flame war. The vast majority of members here consider humor to be a very healthy behavior: it makes us forget how much we paid for our expensive German (or Canadian, or Portugese) stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, evikne said:

Even I, who speaks English very poorly, and who also has a diagnosis that means I am bad at understanding human interactions, immediately understood that this was an innocent joke. I thought it was very funny and didn't think for a second that this was meant to hurt anyone. I was very surprised that it was even possible to interpret it differently.

I'm convinced that everyone who laughed at the joke was laughing because the poster was making a fool of himself, not because they thought you were asking a stupid question.

Ok. Thanks. I’m sure it is me. It just quite a lot of effort to come up with the question. And to express myself so I could get an answer. If the person would have made the joke and also tried to answer it or ask a question to get a better idea of what I was trying to ask, it would have been ok or funny. Not like this. But again, it must be me. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, elmars said:

So did I. And mboerma's English was not bad or misleading. Everyone could understand his question. The question was probably deliberately misunderstood in order to be able to make the joke. I like to do that kind of thing too. The joke itself was not personally hurtful or otherwise malicious in my opinion. Just a little joke. 

Thanks. In my world making fun of someone is hurtful for the other person. But hey, apparently I live in a different world. Let’s move on. I got a couple of very helpful answers so I made my decision to get the APO instead of the FLE II.

• Like 3

Not an optician nor a professional photographer, I don't see the advantage( sure some here will get great pleasure to convince me of the contrary) of the close focusing for a 35m specially for portrait. Even if 35 mm is not a super wide angle, the short focusing distance increases perspective issues, reduces sharpness zone, even more wide open.

For "macro" use, a longer focal lens gives more flexibility.

One reflection (with a C not a an X 😜) about the shade : the rectangular shape is the most efficient for the rectangular sensor (I 've never seen round shades on professional cinema cameras), so the rectangular shade is good for me, going back to the circular is regression IMVHO.

I assume that manufacturing the round shade (and cap) is also a lot easyer so  cheaper, so the final price can be contained.

To accumulate all advantages I would suggest a collapsible rectangular-shaped shade made of rubber, to be screwded or clipsed (no matter for me) on the lens. @ Leica R&D department if you read this 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Brown said:

Please be advised that this forum is 7.34% silly jokes, puns and dark humor. It is an integral part of the terms and conditions agreement when you sign up 😏 because of this thing called Internet.
I for one love it that way as long as it is not rude or dissing a person in some bad flame war. The vast majority of members here consider humor to be a very healthy behavior: it makes us forget how much we paid for our expensive German (or Canadian, or Portugese) stuff.

I signed up for this forum almost 20 years ago, I just checked, maybe I've become less flexible on my mind. I rarely post a question or a remark because it is not easy to express oneself in subtle ways in a non-native language. And if I then post a question once in a while and this is the answer I is not nice. Simple as that. 

I like humor a lot, but not at the expense (which I felt) of others. But that is just me and my feelings behind my screen and my keyboard... 

9 hours ago, mboerma said:

Like others said, the joke is that the person who made it is making fun of themselves because they are pretending to be dumb. It just came across the wrong way to you because perhaps culturally that’s not familiar to you.

There is an entire class of memes in the Internet where a person answers a question in a literal way that was not meant or by using an alternate meaning of a word.

(And someone will always post a real answer right afterward, anyway :))

Here are a few memes that explain the humor:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

8 hours ago, Al Brown said:

I need a sense of humor when I try to explain why my excellent Pentax SMC 50mm f2 cost $15, but I really need a 50mm Summicron which is $2500.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, mboerma said:

Can anyone explain what the difference in minimal focus distance between the APO and the new FLE implies? 30cm for the APO and 40cm for the FLE II. Is this a big difference?

Depends on your style of photography.  For me it's quite a bit becasue I am used to ultra wide shots where I use the distorsion and the effect of closely focused subject within a wide range context.  easy on 21 mm and bellow, not so much at 35 and above. In other words, you need to know how to take advantge of close focusing At 35 mm.

Being able to focus that closely, and also to really make use of Bokeh effects opens a range of creative possibilities. 

So, for me, it is the 40cm PLUS the 1.4 apperture that makes this quite interesting.  30 cm in the APO is magnificent though.

This said, for most photography styles associated with the M system and typical users the close focusing has limited real use.

Edited by S Maclean
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mboerma said:

Ok. Thanks. I’m sure it is me. It just quite a lot of effort to come up with the question. And to express myself so I could get an answer. If the person would have made the joke and also tried to answer it or ask a question to get a better idea of what I was trying to ask, it would have been ok or funny. Not like this. But again, it must be me. 

Just on't worry about it.  Its a comunity thing.  One joke here and there and a few really usefull tidbits in between...and then one or two distractions.    And for the record, Optically it is not 10 cm, it is 10.4567643.  

Edited by S Maclean
  • Like 2