New edition of the Leica Summilux-M 1.4/35mm ASPH.

Ken Abrahams

Advertisement (gone after registration)

https://leicarumors.com/2022/09/13/leica-to-announce-a-new-summilux-m-35-f-1-4-asph-lens.aspx/

Close Focusing model like the M 35 APO and sporting a round extractable Hood, 11 aperture blades 

Really good to see another new M Lens being released and with improvements too. I might be looking for a good second hand copy of the M 35 Summilux FLE instead so I am hoping this news improves my chances.

Ken  

• Like 3

I have the FLE currently; can't see any logical reason to upgrade but GAS can't be reasoned with 🤣

I've had some front focusing issues with the FLE, it's currently being adjusted. Should have it back in a few weeks. It's on notice ... any more headaches and it's at risk of replacement!

Interesting they're going with a round pull out hood this time. Will definitely make it more compact in storage. I really like the FLE hood though, it looks cool

Edited by roboboss
  • Like 6

I have the FLE and am still pretty interested in this, I like my Summilux but often thought about getting the APO just to have close focus for the few times it could be useful. Haven't bought it yet because I already have two 35's and also it's impossible to find one in stock. Do think I prefer the FLE hood though, then again on the 50 lux I enjoy this type of hood as well so that's probably fine.

But my FLE is from April so it feels a bit too soon to think about replacing it unfortunately. Already had too much GAS this year

• Like 1

I own the current Summilux 35mm and APO Summicron 35mm lenses. Both are great, but for different reasons.

The APO 35mm is almost permanently mounted to my M11 and M10-R before that. It's small, light and crazy sharp. I spend 3-1/2weeks on vacation in Europe and the APO 35mm never left my camera even though I had my APO Summicron 50mm in my bag. For my future travels, I will only bring the APO 35mm. Traveling light with one lens is actually liberating. I used my iPhone 13 Pro camera for ultra wide and tele shots.

That said, I'm not selling my Summilux 35mm as I do use it on occasion. I think the new Summilux is a great add to the M lens line up, but I don't have a need to buy one. However, If I could not afford the APO 35mm, the Summilux 35mm would be my most used lens as it was before I purchased the APO version.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, evikne said:

A little disappointing that there were no optical changes, but what was there to improve? Better close focusing, more aperture blades and built-in hood are certainly welcome improvements as well.

Chromatic aberration wide open was there to improve - the strong FLE purple/green fringing... Yes please.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, budjames said:

I own the current Summilux 35mm and APO Summicron 35mm lenses. Both are great, but for different reasons.

The APO 35mm is almost permanently mounted to my M11 and M10-R before that. It's small, light and crazy sharp. I spend 3-1/2weeks on vacation in Europe and the APO 35mm never left my camera even though I had my APO Summicron 50mm in my bag. For my future travels, I will only bring the APO 35mm. Traveling light with one lens is actually liberating. I used my iPhone 13 Pro camera for ultra wide and tele shots.

That said, I'm not selling my Summilux 35mm as I do use it on occasion. I think the new Summilux is a great add to the M lens line up, but I don't have a need to buy one. However, If I could not afford the APO 35mm, the Summilux 35mm would be my most used lens as it was before I purchased the APO version.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography.

Couldn't agree more. 

Never got significant flare, focusing or fringing issues with the FLE and i don't need f/1.4 on closeups so i guess it is not a lens for me unless it is more compact than the FLE. Built-in hoods don't slim down lenses generally though so i don't hold my breath.

• Like 1

All the combination possibilities with the thread protection ring and the removable hood of the FLE made me crazy:

• no thread protection ring, no hood, no filter
  • thread protection ring, no hood, no filter
  • no thread protection ring, no hood, filter
  • no thread protection ring, hood, no filter
  • thread protection ring, filter, no hood … 🤪
Edited by evikne
  • Haha 6