New edition of the Leica Summilux-M 1.4/35mm ASPH.

Ken Abrahams

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Chromatic aberration wide open was there to improve - the strong FLE purple/green fringing... Yes please.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Oh that's as bad as 7art

19 minutes ago, jaeger said:

Oh that's as bad as 7art

Fixing (or at least decreasing) the green fringing wide open in contrasty light is a missed opportunity for this lens. I feel its more noticeable with M11 60MP files because it's so easy to zoom in to 100% and find the green. 

• Like 2

Gas is strong :)

But I own both the FLE, and APO. I'm having a similar experience to those above. The 35APO is the 35mm, I reach for almost all the time.

I wouldn't mind testing the lens, though, while my wife holds my wallet out of reach...

I only use RF focusing, so not only is the close focusing wasted on me, it will surely add build complexity, and likely a price to match. Maybe the additional aperture blades will tame the sometimes nervous bokeh, but that’s avoidable. 

Smart for Leica (IF they can reliably and efficiently produce these close focusing lenses…I expect more). But pass for me.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

1 hour ago, darylgo said:

It's a love/hate relationship, Leica is all over the place with hoods.  Series filters in hoods, ugh!!

No question on that.

The best hoods they have made are the metal screw on hoods like my 28 Elmarit and 50/2.4 Summarit have.  Why can't Leica just make those for every lens and be done with the experimenting??

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

33 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

No question on that.

The best hoods they have made are the metal screw on hoods like my 28 Elmarit and 50/2.4 Summarit have.  Why can't Leica just make those for every lens and be done with the experimenting??

Agreed, my guess is that the hood is the least and last part of design, mechanical and optical.  M lenses are demanding, size and performance are jewels, priced accordingly.  After exhaustive research and years of work, many drinks to celebrate finalizing the lens the hood thoughts start.   A drunken design at best, perhaps an intern.  Seriously 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

No question on that.

Because consumers are never happy? I don't have the lenses you're quoting but what you're describing is pretty well the same hood as the FLE's we are discussing about here, or am i missing something?

Well, the type of hood, that is on the current FLE, is something that I like. (I do not own an FLE, but have other lenses with this type of threaded hood.) I do not see the closer MFD as being necessary, for my shooting, with a 35mm lens. So, unless there is some other significant improvement in the optical performance, I am unlikely to want to acquire one of the as-yet-unannounced Summilux 35mm lenses. I really like the superb Zeiss Distagon f/1,4 35mm ZM, for much of my shooting, but the idea of adding a 35mm FLE has occasionally tempted me, for the times when its character would be desirable. 

Edited by RexGig0

I have always felt that the rectangle metal hoods were sturdier than the slide out ones (35FLE vs 50lux asph for example) and also work better against flare..and are also more user replaceable (until Leica stops making them). The rectangle hoods do make the lens about 1cm longer though, but on the flip side if I wanted more compactness I've always just swapped the hood for the hood protection ring (at the expense of more flare). I do the same with my 28cron. I suppose a slide-out hood is the middle ground and does make the lens more sleek. One peeve I have with the FLE after spending time with more compact 35mms and particularly the 35lux preFLE is that it can appear bloated, and the built-in-hood doesn't really get around that. I must add that the 35 FLE is already a small lens, so it's all relative.

Close focus is useful but I wouldn't pay a premium for it. When I used my FLE on a Sony body with a voigtlander helicoid adapter, the closer focus with the adapter was novel but that novelty wore off and I didn't engage the close focus so much in day-to-day shooting. I guess your mileage may vary.

I shoot my FLE wide open most of the time, so extra aperture blades shouldn't make a difference. When i stop down for more depth of field to give context i don't really care so much about bokeh. Again one of those "YMMV" things. 

It is a good update all around improving on an already decent lens design, but if they tweaked the optics like they did when the 28cron v2 came out then existing FLE owners like myself would really have something to consider. In some sense I'm happy nothing had changed optically (at least based on what i've read)...I can put my money elsewhere. 

Edited by chasdfg
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, lct said:

Because consumers are never happy? I don't have the lenses you're quoting but what you're describing is pretty well the same hood as the FLE's we are discussing about here, or am i missing something?

The “old” FLE has the exactly same style hood as the current version 28 Elmarit 2.8. I have both lenses. They are different part numbers, but exact same design. 

Edited by Crem
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yanidel said:

So basically my 35mm Summilux ASPH pre-FLE would still render the same as this new one, except for the focus shift? (which I have learnt to adjust for) 

Improvements regarding focus shift are secondary benefits of the floating element; the primary one being improved close focus performance. See especially comments in this old thread from Rick and o1af, as well as the Karbe quote I cited.

There are many other threads comparing the FLE to the prior 35 Summilux ASPH, including comments regarding bokeh and flare.  Emotions often run high on the rendering distinctions, so no need to rehash all that here.

Jeff

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I only use RF focusing, so not only is the close focusing wasted on me, it will surely add build complexity, and likely a price to match. Maybe the additional aperture blades will tame the sometimes nervous bokeh, but that’s avoidable. 

Smart for Leica (IF they can reliably and efficiently produce these close focusing lenses…I expect more). But pass for me.

Jeff

I love the nervous bokeh at times, wouldnt mind it, i might consider getting back the FLE but wallet speaks louder

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, chasdfg said:

One peeve I have with the FLE after spending time with more compact 35mms and particularly the 35lux preFLE is that it can appear bloated, and the built-in-hood doesn't really get around that. I must add that the 35 FLE is already a small lens, so it's all relative.

Relative indeed. I am not prepared to pay Leica prices for anything larger, taller or heavier than the FLE (right). As far as M lenses are concerned, the example to follow is not the FLE or the pre-FLE imho, let alone SL lenses, but the Summilux 35/1.4 pre-asph (left). Cosina has well understood that with their Nokton 35/1.4 which has the same size as the Summilux pre-asph more or less. YMMV.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lct said:

Relative indeed. I am not prepared to pay Leica prices for anything larger, taller or heavier than the FLE (right). As far as M lenses are concerned, the example to follow is not the FLE or the pre-FLE imho, let alone SL lenses, but the Summilux 35/1.4 pre-asph (left). Cosina has well understood that with their Nokton 35/1.4 which has the same size as the Summilux pre-asph more or less. YMMV.

I use the FLE as the benchmark for largest day-driver leica lens too (i have made exceptions to special lenses like the 75lux and noctilux f1, to the detriment of my bank account). I picked up a 35lux preasph recently as my small 35mm, to pair with my M11 (it is only 790g including the weight of a strap!). If the pre asph had a solution to use a filter without the hood (since it flares in its unique way with or without the hood - though I suppose the hood prevents flare in more circumstances? Never tested), one could really maximise the size benefit of that lens. It'd be half the FLE in height. 

I admire what Cosina has done with the 35 1.4 and 35 f2. I had the f2 for a while and couldn't complain about image quality in such a small package. Leica has done miniaturisation right with the 35apo (though I wish it was a smidge smaller) and 50apo especially compared to the equivalent VM lenses though. 

Am curious to know the weight of the new FLE.