live view

XMan

Sorry to puzzle you, let us say I am sharing my puzzlement.  

Live view is not giving me exactly what I want and clutter is not the problem.  The problem is the image view is so dark, even with the lens fully open, to the point where I cannot focus on a star or see the shooting environment to compose.  I am using the 11-23mm at f4.5 and no matter what shutter time I select the image does not get any brighter.  I am also a Fujifilm user and the X cameras have an option to preview exposure in manual mode or turn that off.  This can be used when shooting flash at night where you set the Shutter/Aperture manually and the viewfinder may well go very dark but the flash exposure will be correct and the image properly exposed.  By turning the preview exposure off the viewfinder image is bright, irrespective of the shutter/aperture settings.  This is what I am seeking with the CL.

28 minutes ago, XMan said:

Thank you for your time and trouble which is appreciated. I’ll follow up as suggested. 

Send Dunk a private message through your profile. He will help you, I'm sure. You can mention my name, if you wish .

On most digital Leicas, they have a menu labeled as Exposure Preview or similar.  If set to P-A-S-M, then it is previewing the exposure settings you’ve dialed in.  If you want a brighter view of the scene and rely on the meter to gauge exposure, set it to P-A-S.  I only owned the CL for a brief time, but I believe that this was an option. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, XMan said:

i have been trying to shoot some astro and am unable to turn the live view off so i get a bright screen/evf for focussing and composition.  have read manual front to back but cannot find.

Since you're using a CL, you cannot "turn off Live View" since Live View is the only way to see what the lens is imaging. What I think you mean is that you want to turn off Exposure Preview—the feature that allows the EVF and LCD to image with representative brightness matching the exposure setting—in order that the EVF/LCD are held at maximum brightness regardless of lens aperture and shutter speed setting for framing and focusing. 

Use the command buttons to select Exposure Preview in the menu: MENU > page 3 > Exposure Preview. Press the right arrow on the four way controller until P-A-S is displayed. The other option is P-A-S-M.  

What this means is that Exposure Preview will be disabled in Manual exposure mode for focusing and framing. This is typically used for flash photography and other situations where Exposure Preview will inadvertently make the displays too dark to be useful. Program, Aperture priority, and Shutter priority operation will be unaffected. Set this way, Exposure Preview will enable only with the shutter release pressed to the half-way point when using Manual mode, whereas with P-A-S-M enabled it will be enabled at all times. 

As an aside: The CL has its limitations for doing astrophotography, chief of which is that you can only obtain up to 30 seconds of exposure, whether with a timed exposure or on the T (Time) setting. The shutter will close after 30 seconds regardless whether you have set T or any other exposure time. 

G

Many many thanks, this exactly what I was chasing!  Perhaps it is in the manual but has not been recognised by me.  The 30 sec exposure time limit is not a problem for me and I have had satisfactory results with exposures as short as 3 seconds by upping the ISO.  Thanks for helping me out.  The shot below has been processed to isolate the Southern Cross and its associated Pointers.  White balance was a problem as the area is lit by powerful orange flood lights.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I was not happy with the edit of my astro shot and have spent some more time on it.  A more pleasing (to me) effort attached.  Leica CL, Super Vario 11 - 23mm @ 16mm, ISO 3200, 4 secs @ F4.5.

• Like 1

Not yet wda.  I am on the road in the outback and spend a lot of time swearing at my data connection.  Operating remotely is like drawing teeth, slow and painful.  I'll follow your introduction when I reach home in October.  

Regards.

XMan

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 3:27 AM, XMan said:

I was not happy with the edit of my astro shot and have spent some more time on it.  A more pleasing (to me) effort attached.  Leica CL, Super Vario 11 - 23mm @ 16mm, ISO 3200, 4 secs @ F4.5.

You're welcome, glad to help. This is a lovely photo too. :D

The Exposure Preview setting is in the owners manual, but as is often the case "you have to know what/where it is before you can look it up" ... LOL!

In the Exposure section of the owners' manual Table of Contents, you'll see a reference to exposure simulation as an entry, and a few pages later in the manual, in the section titled EXPOSURE CONTROL there is a short section dedicated to exposure simulation and the Exposure Preview command. Kinda goofy that they use three different terms to refer to this feature/function in the same paragraph! 

I was used to the Leica nomenclatural mess about it from the Leica SL camera manual, so I found it pretty quickly. ;) 

G