Core of the SL

IkarusJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

if SL2 and heavyish lens then I find the peak design slide is good for me as I can swing it right round my back and sometimes cycle with it like that with as much as I like in panniers

more kit and on foot means a back pack as I find messenger bags make my already 'twitchy' back worse, I've one that you can swing around and access fairly quickly through a side opening but I find I opt for one lens(the wrong one of course) and a spare battery instead

1 hour ago, Simone_DF said:

I workout 4-5 times per week, 60 mins HIIT with heavy weights. I have no problem carrying weights for hours and hours.

I'm still complaining about how terribly heavy the SL and its lenses are. From a weight standpoint, they are heavier compared to other mirrorless on the market, sometimes by a huge margin. Furthermore, carrying such heavy weights every day for prolonged period of times, especially if one is using a messenger style bag, can bring severe consequences in the future, like back or spine problems. 

But yes, let's gaslight people instead.

No issues for me working with the SL2 & native glass for 5-6 hours at a time. And I’m glad the camera doesn’t feel like it’s made with plastic like other mirrorless brands.

If they make the SL3 lighter I wouldn’t complain, so long as it isn’t less sturdy, well balanced, or cheap feeling. Some people are saying this exactly about the M11, that’s it’s too light and feels less substantial as a result.

Impossible to please everyone, it seems.

• Like 3

I'm sure these guys also thought their computer was ok, sturdy, well balanced, with a fast processor perfect for studio work, and indeed it was.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I take my SL2-S + 16-35 SL setup on 25+km day hikes with 1600+m of elevation gain, along with all the other gear, food, water, clothing, etc. needed in the mountains. I notice the 2kg that I’m hauling but it’s not that big of a difference compared to a similarly capable setup like a Sony A1 + 16-35 GM lens (<500g delta). I’m not that big either, <60kg, but it’s all relative and depends on your fitness level. Making sure your other gear is light and minimizing any unnecessary items also helps. Aside from my camera, the heaviest thing by far that I carry is water.

Edited by beewee
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

I'm sure these guys also thought their computer was ok, sturdy, well balanced, with a fast processor perfect for studio work, and indeed it was.

If a camera bothered me as much as the SL seems to bother you, I’d just sell it and try something else (maybe you already did? Your profile says you own an M10). 

Edited by trickness
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

Paper tape! I remember those days.  You had to use punched paper tape to boot the computer. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 hours ago, trickness said:

If a camera bothered me as much as the SL seems to bother you, I’d just sell it and try something else (maybe you already did? Your profile says you own an M10). 

I sold my M10 a couple of years ago. I don't miss it, no regrets. I'm in wait & see mode for a smaller / lighter SL3. Should that not appear, I have no problem in getting a Panasonic S5II or moving to Canon. I'm brand agnostic. 

1 hour ago, Simone_DF said:

I sold my M10 a couple of years ago. I don't miss it, no regrets. I'm in wait & see mode for a smaller / lighter SL3. Should that not appear, I have no problem in getting a Panasonic S5II or moving to Canon. I'm brand agnostic. 

I'm betting they reduce the weight but not the size of the SL3. Too much tech inside + they don't want to provide any more reasons for users to switch from the M or question why it is so much more expensive.

1 hour ago, trickness said:

I'm betting they reduce the weight but not the size of the SL3. Too much tech inside + they don't want to provide any more reasons for users to switch from the M or question why it is so much more expensive.

Then I'll just move to another brand no problem, just like other people did, so rather than having people switching from M to SL, they'll have people switching to Panasonic. If you don't cannibalize yourself, others will. Gotta love the L alliance, it makes it even easier.

19 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

Then I'll just move to another brand no problem, just like other people did, so rather than having people switching from M to SL, they'll have people switching to Panasonic. If you don't cannibalize yourself, others will. Gotta love the L alliance, it makes it even easier.

Perhaps you’re right - but for many, myself included, the SL series cameras are wonderful tools, and you’d have to drag me kicking and screaming to Panasonic, Sony, or really any other camera. I’m THRILLED with my SL2.

Smaller, lighter … not really a concern.  I wouldn’t want a camera smaller in the hand than an M (the TL2 is actually about the same size in the hand), and the SL is perfect for my hands.  Weight?  Well, it weighs what it weighs - the lenses are heavy too.  Heavier than the completion?  There wasn’t any competition when the SL was released, and to be honest the SL is still so good for my needs that I haven’t looked elsewhere.

Coming from SLR film cameras (with motor-drives), I don’t really notice the size and weight of the SL.  I’ve been taking photos since the 1960s, and something I’ve learned is that the fundamentals of photography really haven’t changed in that time.  I spend no time looking at what other brands have to offer, for so long as my SL continues to meet my needs.

• Like 4

I don’t imagine an SL3 would be much lighter or smaller than the SL2. The camera needs to balance well with the large existing SL lenses in the lineup. A smaller body would cause the setup to be front heavy. For better or worse, I think we’re stuck unless Leica goes for a two-tier lineup similar to Sigma where they have their Art series lenses that are focused on large aperture, high image quality at the expensive of size/weight/price, and their Contemporary series which emphasize smaller size/weight/price at the expensive of larger aperture and absolute image quality (though some are still very good). If Leica were to go for such a setup, then they would be able offer a smaller body but it wouldn’t be a SL3, it would probably be something to fill the void of the CL but using a full-frame sensor.

Personally, I can’t imagine Leica going back to a 2-tier line up. They tried this with the M series where they produced the wide angle elmar and summarit lenses which were optically excellent but lack the prestige of the Summilux and Noctilux. From what I can tell, a big chunk of Leica’s customer base buy such lenses because of the prestige factor, regardless of how much they use such lenses and so this skews Leica’s product offerings, for better or worse.

Edited by beewee
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, beewee said:

I don’t imagine an SL3 would be much lighter or smaller than the SL2. The camera needs to balance well with the large existing SL lenses in the lineup. A smaller body would cause the setup to be front heavy.

You mean front heavy like a M with a Noctilux? Because Leica doesn't seem to have any problem releasing front heavy lenses. The M11 is even lighter now.

15 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

The L Mount alliance (specifically the Sigma DG DN contemporary primes) is actually what convinced me to buy my SL2-S. Leica’s SL lenses are astoundingly good but, if you are sensitive to the expense and weight, the Sigmas are excellent; optically very good and so light & lovely to use that they transform the user experience for me. I cannot speak for anybody else but, if others think as I do, then the alliance can only help to sell more Leica SL bodies - they are possibly even more desirable as a result of the accessibility to third party, L Mount lenses. And, as previous M user, I’m one of those who really enjoys using M lenses on mine. How are you finding your Nokton 35 f1.4, Simone? Still liking it? 
Regards, Chris.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Nebard said:

The L Mount alliance (specifically the Sigma DG DN contemporary primes) is actually what convinced me to buy my SL2-S. Leica’s SL lenses are astoundingly good but, if you are sensitive to the expense and weight, the Sigmas are excellent; optically very good and so light & lovely to use that they transform the user experience for me. I cannot speak for anybody else but, if others think as I do, then the alliance can only help to sell more Leica SL bodies - they are possibly even more desirable as a result of the accessibility to third party, L Mount lenses. And, as previous M user, I’m one of those who really enjoys using M lenses on mine. How are you finding your Nokton 35 f1.4, Simone? Still liking it? 
Regards, Chris.

I do believe the L mount is great, it offers more choices and customization than Canon and Nikon. I got the Sigma 45 and 24, lovely little lenses, and I'm even considering selling my APO 50 and 90 and replace them with the Sigma or Panasonic counterparts. 

The Nokton is such a gem, love it, but lately it lives more on my Bessa R2A than my SL2s.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

You mean front heavy like a M with a Noctilux? Because Leica doesn't seem to have any problem releasing front heavy lenses. The M11 is even lighter now.

No, I mean front heavy as in a 90-280 on a CL.

• Haha 2

On 7/5/2022 at 3:30 PM, beewee said:

I don’t imagine an SL3 would be much lighter or smaller than the SL2. The camera needs to balance well with the large existing SL lenses in the lineup. A smaller body would cause the setup to be front heavy. For better or worse, I think we’re stuck unless Leica goes for a two-tier lineup similar to Sigma where they have their Art series lenses that are focused on large aperture, high image quality at the expensive of size/weight/price, and their Contemporary series which emphasize smaller size/weight/price at the expensive of larger aperture and absolute image quality (though some are still very good). If Leica were to go for such a setup, then they would be able offer a smaller body but it wouldn’t be a SL3, it would probably be something to fill the void of the CL but using a full-frame sensor.

Personally, I can’t imagine Leica going back to a 2-tier line up. They tried this with the M series where they produced the wide angle elmar and summarit lenses which were optically excellent but lack the prestige of the Summilux and Noctilux. From what I can tell, a big chunk of Leica’s customer base buy such lenses because of the prestige factor, regardless of how much they use such lenses and so this skews Leica’s product offerings, for better or worse.

I wouldn't want anything less than an SL2 in an SL3, meaning compromises in quality. For instance, I hope the SL3 doesn't have a flip screen. I think if people want something like Sigma's Contemporary line, they can buy Sigma's contemporary line. Leica created a fantastic platform with the SL. If people want to compromise that platform, there are all kinds of ways of doing it, whether it be Sigma lenses, M lenses, Lumix bodies, etc.

• Haha 1