Advice wanted on 35mm + 50mm lenses

JoshuaRothman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

23 hours ago, JoshuaRothman said:

Thanks for all these replies! I won't reply individually, but they're all very helpful. The Summarit lenses are definitely on my radar; my main worry is that I found f/2.5 too slow a lot of my shooting when I used the Color-Skopar. (I take a lot of pictures indoors.) 

On post-processing: You're absolutely right, I shoot a Q2 in addition to the M2. I do find that a little sharpening gets me closer to what I want. I'm not rushing into any purchases, and I plan to sit on my current lenses for a while longer; I'll try and see if I can come up with a preset that closes the gap.

On MC vs SC: Yeah, I'm kind of regretting going with the SC lenses! I think I overdid it. My biggest source of unhappiness is flare and "glow." I like the way it looks in black and white, and when I bought the lenses I was mainly shooting black and white film. But I've ended up relying on color film quite a lot, too, and I don't like the washed-out color that veiling flare is sometimes creating. (Of course, it's also possible that I'm messing up my exposure, since I'm often shooting meterless.)

Thanks again for everyone's help!

I can not help, sorry

Pick one of these ...😉

then be happy

For those who say the CV 35 1.4 v2 is soft wide open, I just took these comparison shots @ 1.4.

CV 35 1.4 V2 vs Zeiss ZM Distagon 35 1.4 vs Summilux FLE 35 1.4

Full scene, then a 200% crop from the center.  Using an M10r - so if you are using these lenses on a film M, well, you wouldn't even see these miniscule differences as there is no way your film is going to out-resolve the M10r's sensor!  And yes, I shoot my film Ms and other film cameras pretty much 99% of the time.

The point of focus was meant to be the Leica red dot.  Using the rf.  If anything I may have slightly mis-focused with the CV as the writing on the lens is slightly clearer.  On the Distagon it is obviously way out of focus as the lens is so long.

Anyway, if your lens is 'soft' it's on you.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Huss
  • Thanks 1

ZM 35 1.4 Distagon

Edited by Huss

FLE

48 minutes ago, Huss said:

FLE

Thanks for sharing these comparisons, @Huss. Can I ask a really stupid question - I keep seeing people mention “FLE” - what does it mean, and which lens would be the 35mm FLE?

Floating Lens Element...

the first Summilux-M 35mm asph. has no FLE

second version has FLE to better correct field curvature and focus shift.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/35mm_f/1.4_ASPH_Summilux-M

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/35mm_f/1.4_ASPH.fle_Summilux-M

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry, I should’ve been clearer. By “soft” I didn’t mean that the pictures were out of focus. (Of course that’s what “soft” often means, so that’s my mistake.) I just meant that the rendering wide open is glowy. I don’t have a problem nailing focus; it’s just the vintage vibe of the 35 that doesn’t quite suit me.

On MC vs SC—do the coatings really make that much of a difference? Maybe I’ll rent an MC lens and see. 

CV 50 1.5 v2 SC on a M10r @ 1.5 and ISO 6400

Edited by Huss
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Primary purpose of the floating element is to improve performance at close focus distance (through reduction of spherical aberration).  Reducing focus shift is a secondary benefit.

Jeff

21 hours ago, JoshuaRothman said:

Sorry, I should’ve been clearer. By “soft” I didn’t mean that the pictures were out of focus. (Of course that’s what “soft” often means, so that’s my mistake.) I just meant that the rendering wide open is glowy. I don’t have a problem nailing focus; it’s just the vintage vibe of the 35 that doesn’t quite suit me.

On MC vs SC—do the coatings really make that much of a difference? Maybe I’ll rent an MC lens and see. 

But that's the thing.  I don't see glowy wide open, and the pics I posted prove that.  'Glowy' with a modern lens, unless it is that new 50 Heliar which is intentionally glowy, is actually out of focus.

Post some pics that you have taken @ 1.5 showing what you are seeing. Because I have those exact same lenses and do not see it.  Again, as shown with my examples.

Glow is easy to get at full aperture on the CV 35/1.4 SC v2. I bought it mainly for that. Better choose an MC version if you don't like that.

On 5/22/2022 at 4:06 AM, JoshuaRothman said:

Your pain points has deviated from the normal pattern for a typical focal length logic. I'd like to share a film shooter's review on Youtube for further reference. It may not on your radar but it's time worthy.

Edited by Erato
add URL mentioned for further reference

1 hour ago, Erato said:

Your pain points has deviated from the normal pattern for a typical focal length logic. I'd like to share a film shooter's review on Youtube for further reference. It may not on your radar but it's time worthy.

I've got that on my MP:

I really like it but it is fiddly to use.  I set the aperture at infinity because it rotates with the focus ring, and it is locked at infinity.  If you try to change it while you focus, you will move focus.  Also at min focus your thumb will be in the VF as there is only one place to hold it to focus - the lock knob, which is  by the vf at min focus.

I bought an $8 Tiffen filter, removed the glass (just unscrews) and use that as a lens hood because a knock off Leica lens cap fits over that.

Edited by Huss
  • Like 1

CV 40 2.8 on digital (M240)

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 8:59 PM, a.noctilux said:

Floating Lens Element...

the first Summilux-M 35mm asph. has no FLE

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/35mm_f/1.4_ASPH_Summilux-M

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/35mm_f/1.4_ASPH.fle_Summilux-M

Ahhh brilliant. Thanks for explaining what FLE means, and what it is meant to do.