35mm or 50mm?

Olaf_ZG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

43mm is the answer?

The well known diagonal size format is the normal.

I have one in Pentax mount "43mm" but ...

40mm Summicron is the way to go in M mount, without the correct framelines though,

so the question remains 35mm or 50mm framelines.

No good answer here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting thread. I'm mostly a portrait guy and dabble in street portraits, so I have a 50mm Summilux as my everyday lens. But I recently got a Tri-Elmar (MATE) for vacations and such, expecting that I would mostly use it at 28mm and 50mm. Now I checked my images from the last trip and found out that I took almost as many pictures at 35mm as at 28 & 50 COMBINEND! Seems like I really like the 35mm. Got me thinking if I might get me a 35mm lens and see how that work for me as an everyday lens. But there are so many to choose from ...

• Like 1

From my perspective (he said wryly) this all hinges on the combined influence of several factors, each of which will vary. 

These include subject size, working distance from subject, distance of subject from background, desired image scale of subject in the field of view, and other considerations, including presentation scale (size of print) viewing distance to print, and, not least, your own aesthetic intentions for the image. 

I recently returned from taking part in a photography workshop in Japan. I had brought 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 90mm lenses. I started the workshop with the 50 and found few reasons to change until the second or third day when I switched to the 35. The last day in town, I went back to the 50 for most of the day and wished for the 35 only once we'd gotten to a crowded street market with varied and colorful wares. This was, as a companion commented, "a target-rich environment"! Here the 35 suggested itself, and I also switched from the M11M to the M11, simply because of the richness of the subjects. 

So in some ways, the focal length question raised is similar to wondering whether to use black and white or color. The answer for me in this case was, "it depends."

Enjoy!

Edited by DadDadDaddyo
  • Like 2

35 doesn’t give anywhere near as much depth of field at f8 as a 28, so I think 28 is better for street. And a 35 isn’t as good for portraits as a 50 - so for me, I don’t think 35 is particularly strong at anything except general use. That’s why a lot of people like it I guess, but not me.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It was a street and urban landscape workshop put on by a husband and wife team who've done similar workshops in New York for quite a while. I took part in one of those in 2022 and got a lot out of it. This was their first workshop in Tokyo. There were ten in the group, about half new folks and half returnees. It was an intensive and outstanding experience. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DadDadDaddyo said:

It was a street and urban landscape workshop put on by a husband and wife team who've done similar workshops in New York for quite a while. I took part in one of those in 2022 and got a lot out of it. This was their first workshop in Tokyo. There were ten in the group, about half new folks and half returnees. It was an intensive and outstanding experience. 

Might as well say Hugh and Claudia Brownstone.  He often gets discussed here.

Jeff

You can also think about it as a choice of resolution. Since an image from a 35mm lens can be cropped to the equiv. of 50mm, you can pick your poison. After cropping the 35mm image and then re-printing it at the same size as the non-cropped image, the basic image properties (field of view, depth of field) are the same as if you had used a 50mm lens, only with less resolution i.e. fewer pixels / more grains. With an M camera having multiple frame lines, you really only need the 35mm, just use the 35mm or 50mm frame lines as you feel inclined. Hmmmm, I could release some cash selling my 50mm Lux pre E46… of course, if it is the character of the lens we seek then our priorities will change.

Edited by Mr.Prime

4 hours ago, Mr.Prime said:

You can also think about it as a choice of resolution. Since an image from a 35mm lens can be cropped to the equiv. of 50mm, you can pick your poison. After cropping the 35mm image and then re-printing it at the same size as the non-cropped image, the basic image properties (field of view, depth of field) are the same as if you had used a 50mm lens, only with less resolution i.e. fewer pixels / more grains. With an M camera having multiple frame lines, you really only need the 35mm, just use the 35mm or 50mm frame lines as you feel inclined. Hmmmm, I could release some cash selling my 50mm Lux pre E46… of course, if it is the character of the lens we seek then our priorities will change.

The DOF will not be the same in a 35mm f2 image cropped to 50mm as in a 50mm f2 image. There will be much less image separation (DOF) in the cropped picture. 

This can be a positive in certain circumstances; wild-life photography, landscapes maybe, but not on others; portraits, highlighting of subject. 

Generally a crop is no replacement for a different lens. I think some people are buying the Q without really understanding this. 

Not exactly the same perhaps, but the differences between the 35mm and 50mm lenses are not as large as most people expect because cropping and enlarging to the same print size impacts your resolution vs circle of confusion, which works in the opposite direction to the focal length regarding the DOF. 

Edited by Mr.Prime

Choosing between 50mm and 35mm is about how much of a background you want in the composition. If I took a photo with a 50mm and then another with a 35mm but closer to the subject so both fill the frame exactly the same, the photo shot with the 35mm would include more of the background. I prefer street photography with a 21mm or 24mm to showcase the background with a layered composition. Can’t do that with a 50mm and barely with a 35mm. Alex Webb does great work with a 35mm. Take a look.

Edited by rtai
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dem331 said:

Generally a crop is no replacement for a different lens. I think some people are buying the Q without really understanding this. 

For rangefinder users we are used to seeing the same image in the viewfinder with lens selection denoted by different “crops”. I see a lot of Leica users claiming a 28mm is too close to a 35mm to get both. Viewing via the lines on the M6 yes but real life no.

On 12/13/2023 at 4:22 PM, Per P. said:

I agree with Mr.Prime, and I would almost say that it is a trick question. A few years ago I reviewed my Lightroom catalogue and could see that at least 75% of my better pictures were made with either a 35mm or a 50mm. It was split 55/45 between those two with the 50mm being the ultimate favourite. In other words, so long as I have one of them I'm ok.

But style and subject is a key factor. There are not just people in most of Peter Turnleys pictures, people is his subject. Period. And he goes close. I took a workshop on people photography one time, where I used the 35mm exclusively for a week. One of my learnings was that if I was more than 3-4 meters away then the picture didn't really work. 

Maybe because the 35/50mm spent more than 75% of the time on the camera. 

On 12/10/2023 at 3:52 PM, Olaf_ZG said:

My most beloved lens was the Planar 45mm for the G1… and somehow, therefore 50mm is so natural to me. It’s my favorite F/L.

Often looking - here - the 35mm is too wide too me. If the photographer shot a bit tighter, the image would be stronger. My opinion of course. That said, when I look at images like of Peter Turnley, I like how he uses 35mm.

To me, 50mm is great outside, as you have space to move around. For most portraits, 50mm does better. Inside, 35mm has an advantage, and for reportage as well.

I have a 24mm, great for going wide. A 28mm, tiny, as I want to be it tiny, and two wonderful 50’s.

Have a 35mm as well, the nokton 1.4sc, but it is too gimmicky to me. So may be I should get a new 35. Not to big, the nokton is perfect regarding size.

But then, maybe I don’t need 35. Maybe 50 is all one need. Any photographers out here without a 35?

Why do you need to get another 35 if you already don't need it ? 

Been satisfied with 50 is blessing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/14/2023 at 3:19 PM, trickness said:

35 doesn’t give anywhere near as much depth of field at f8 as a 28, so I think 28 is better for street. And a 35 isn’t as good for portraits as a 50 - so for me, I don’t think 35 is particularly strong at anything except general use. That’s why a lot of people like it I guess, but not me.

On 12/17/2023 at 8:25 AM, Ko.Fe. said:

Why do you need to get another 35 if you already don't need it ? 

Been satisfied with 50 is blessing. 

This month I forced myself to have a 35mm on my daily camera. And I found that with most images I either should have a tighter lens or a wider. I thought about your comments a lot, you might be right…

May be I simply should forget about 35mm. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Olaf_ZG said:

This month I forced myself to have a 35mm on my daily camera. And I found that with most images I either should have a tighter lens or a wider. I thought about your comments a lot, you might be right…

May be I simply should forget about 35mm. 

I sold my 35 SL APO. I don’t miss the focal length but I definitely miss the image quality. Maybe sell or trade the 35 for a 50 SL APO?

If I'm looking to capture environmental portraits 35 is my choice; when I want to shoot tight and right, then I use my 50. I own both and use them regularly, it all depends on what I'm looking to capture.  

If you prefer or are more comfortable shooting at a distance from your subjects ....go with a 50, you will achieve more separation.  If you are comfortable getting closer to your subjects, the 35 may be a more versatile choice. 

5 hours ago, trickness said:

I sold my 35 SL APO. I don’t miss the focal length but I definitely miss the image quality. Maybe sell or trade the 35 for a 50 SL APO?

This is an option as well, I also have sold the SL35, and now have the 24-90 which is a great allrounder. Not sure yet if I want a SL prime, or stay with m lenses. And if it would be a prime, would the SL summicron or SL summilux the best choice…