Leica M2 - Light leak, shutter problem, film processing?

tib

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi! I've been noticing uneven exposures, usually on the right side of the photo. Have you guys experienced the same thing?  What could be the cause? 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I think we need a bit more information than 'uneven exposure'. I can see a sort of washed out effect in the shadows of the second photo but this could be almost anything from poor darkroom printing, poor scanning, poor post processing, poor development, under exposure, etc.

• Like 1

I am just getting back into film photography with a Leica M2. However, back in the ‘80’s to really test for light leak was to place the camera on a tripod, cap the lens and take a long exposure. The image of course should be completely black. However the longer exposure will ensure any light leaks will be detected.

This process is only for light leaks, not the other items identified above. I see a potential issue in sample 2, but based on that sample it doesn’t look like a shutter issue. Do you develop your own film or a lab?  As someone stated it could be a problem during the development process. Have you used the lab previously? May want to test multiple rolls to different labs and see the results.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, tib said:

Thank you all for your inputs. I've finally found out the culprit: Expired developer. I've been using Rodinal for over a year now thinking it could last for several years. Hehe 

Interesting. I am new to at home developing but had heard Rodinal shelf life is measured in decades. I heard someone say “Rodinal’s shelf life will last longer than the actual shelf it sits on”.

Edited by ejg1890
  • Like 1

I've got a bottle of Rodinal that is fifteen years old and it still works. And even if it had expired (maybe it was thirty years old 😁) I don't think expired developer would account for the variation across the frame.

• Like 1