Is purchasing a TL2 still a good idea

kuau

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I realize that Leica has discontinued the TL line of cameras yet I was thinking about picking up a used one to use with the new Sigma 18-50/2.8 lens 

I already have a VisoFlex that I use sometime with my Leica M10M. 

Can anyone comment on how bright the LCD gets when shooting outdoors in sunny conditions ?

I have TL2 and M system. I bought TL2 in 2017 where it arrived. I'm happy with it. If you can fine one at a really good price then fine.

I have seen VERY good price for a new set with one, two or tra lenses (18,35 and 60mm) So buy.

But do not expect a successor and consequently drastic falling prices for TL2 camera.

TL optics will still be value for  SL users.

But if you are not thinking of becoming an L mount user (Leica SL or panasonic) then maybe hesitate a bit ....

ps: A used TL2 with a sigma I think can not go very wrong.

Edited by Kim Dahl
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have TL2 and evf.  TL2 is best - most compact - without evf.  I also think it works best without evf.  Try out first.  I do not live in a country with a lot of sunshine so maybe it depends on location.  But I would try without first.  Unless you want to use M lenses then that is a completely different matter.

evf has a tendency to fall off when sitting on.  It can not be locked.

Edited by Kim Dahl

On 1/1/2022 at 11:42 AM, kuau said:

Can anyone speak to how bright the LCD is in bright sunlight? or would dI have to use my VisoFlex?

I too have used a TL2 since 2017. I live in Utah, where there is normally plenty of sunshine, and I find myself using the rear screen more often than the Visoflex, which I also have. I find the rear LCD bright enough for purposes of composition most of the time -- unless there is direct sunlight on the screen. In those cases the Viso rules. I've never had problems with the Viso falling off or even coming loose. 

• Like 1

I am very satisfied with my TL2, which I bought mid 2021.  Framing via the screen and the touch screen interface is very much akin to my iPhone and was very easy to adapt to.  My picture taking style is usually in broad daylight, outdoors of family (who may or may not be moving) or landscapes.  For my purposes, printing up to 17x22", the camera is perfect for travel; the original reason I acquired it.  Though there are times where there it may be too bright to see the screen completely, it is good enough for framing and picking the subject to focus on via the touchscreen.  

I actually bought 2 more TL2 bodies and the complete line of TL lenses so can bring at least 2 bodies with lenses attached on my eventual travels and still be close to compact and definitely lighter than if I brought a single digital M and 2 lenses.  I get the advantage of not having to change lenses, having auto focus and use and touch and release method to shoot.  

Thanks for all the responses 

Here in the USA Amazon was running a special TL2 + 18-56 Zoom for $2200 so I made the purchase. 

I should have the camera in a few days…. I also already have the Visoflex which I used with my M10M on occasion.

Am 4.1.2022 um 15:11 schrieb kuau:

Thanks for all the responses 

Here in the USA Amazon was running a special TL2 + 18-56 Zoom for $2200 so I made the purchase. 

I should have the camera in a few days…. I also already have the Visoflex which I used with my M10M on occasion.

Good call. The deal I'm seeing on Amazon for the TL2 plus 18-56 Zoom right now (1/5/2022) is closer to $3200, so you saved yourself a bundle.