24-70 Lens making a grinding noise.

Waih98

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi. This is my first post. I bought a new SL2-S with the 24-70 f2.8 lens bundle on 16/12/2021 at LCE in London. I’m still really setting up the camera and testing it having come over from A Sony A7Riii but I have had the camera seize up on 3 separate occasions and now my lens makes a grinding noise. Initially the zoom ring made a grinding noise and a search on this forum mentioned the same issue with the 24/-90 and that problem seems resolved but now replaced with a grinding noise whilst focusing. All these problems in the space of 3 days is giving me concerns about the camera and lens long term reliability. I’m looking to weigh up my options including getting a refund. Do you think this is possible? I took up the current trade in promotion and my Sony never had any issues in nearly 4 years.

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

Contact your dealer, he should sort this for you quickly. I wouldn't worry about long-term reliability, the SL system generates very few complaints in this respect on this forum.

But the lens made by Sigma(?) doesn’t seem to be reliable.

That's interesting. My new 24-70 2.8 also made a slight grinding noise with the zoom ring when I first was setting it up.It was disconcerting to say the least.

I switched the camera off, dismounted the lens. Re-mounted it and turned it on again and it hasn't done it again since. Seems to be fine now. No freezes with my camera at all.

Definitely have Leica check it out.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, 2M6TTLs said:

That's interesting. My new 24-70 2.8 also made a slight grinding noise with the zoom ring when I first was setting it up.It was disconcerting to say the least.

I switched the camera off, dismounted the lens. Re-mounted it and turned it on again and it hasn't done it again since. Seems to be fine now. No freezes with my camera at all.

Definitely have Leica check it out.

I had exactly the same experience 2M6TTLs. It happened just the once, very briefly, and I even wondered if I’d imagined it. Re-mounting as you suggest can often clear such things - I did the same as you.

This is a lens I rate, but it’s a very good thing that issues like this are highlighted. If Leica monitors this forum - and I hear they do - then they should investigate. 

My 24-70 Is doing this as well.  It only happens when the camera is powered on and awake.  With no power to the lens the zoom ring is silent.  No noise with our without the rear cap on when off the body either.  No amount of remounting on the camera solves the issue as it seems to be some sort of electronic resistance internally with the gearing.

Unfortunately I've had the lens in the box since I got the camera back in October so I'm out of the 7 day return window.  Still filed for a credit or refund.  We'll see what happens.

I had the sigma 'version' of this lens on an a7 body in 2019 and did not have this issue for whatever that information is worth.

I received my replacement SL2-S 24-70 bundle yesterday after reporting my initial lens grinding and camera freezing. Well....the new camera has a dead pixel in the EVF! And it also froze wiping all my customised settings!! 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’ve never had any problems with the Nikon/Fuji/Sony systems I’ve owned in the past and my Q is problem free (which I still own) it’s Christmas and I think I’ll just grin and bear it as it’s a fabulous camera with (in my case) a few gremlins. 😩

25 minutes ago, Waih98 said:

I received my replacement SL2-S 24-70 bundle yesterday after reporting my initial lens grinding and camera freezing. Well....the new camera has a dead pixel in the EVF! And it also froze wiping all my customised settings!! 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’ve never had any problems with the Nikon/Fuji/Sony systems I’ve owned in the past and my Q is problem free (which I still own) it’s Christmas and I think I’ll just grin and bear it as it’s a fabulous camera with (in my case) a few gremlins. 😩

These issues are being reported in other SL2s forums too .

I did receive my Sony A7Riii and lenses back so I could dwell on whether to get a replacement or not. It didn’t take long, the Sony just didn’t cut it any more. It’s like sitting in a Rolls Royce and then having to take the bus! I instantly missed the EVF and even the heft. Though the flip out screen is essential and Leica really need to step up. The 24-70 lens was sharper than most of my Sony lenses and the superior high ISO capabilities meant I didn’t miss my primes that much! That’s a lie...I miss my Zeiss 35mm f1.4 Distagon but plan on getting the M Mount equivalent. Now I have one camera and one lens to join my beloved Q! Merry Christmas all!