Whyvis 18mm worse than 18 56?

Xue

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/30/2021 at 3:06 AM, Rusty said:

I have watched this subject with interest as I have recently bought a CL and it came with just the 18mm lens so I confess I don’t have any other Leica glass to compare it with.

During my research stage of getting the CL I did a fair bit of reading and video watching.

one video I watched was the red dot forum review of the CL where they also went through lenses.

david Farkas who was on the video noted that the 18  (28mm) focal length was covered by 3 lenses, the 18/f2.8 and the two zooms, the 18-56 and the 11-23. 

His opinion was that the 18 f2.8 was the best of the three at that focal length.

he also said that the TL and L lenses were all designed and built to a min of 60 lines of resolution per mm. And that with M glass it was 40 lines per mm. So the L mount lenses are all very sharp and to the highest standards. This may have been on a different video I watched a few.

I guess everyone has their favourites and most of us like to justify our own purchases so opinions vary but it seems to me any tl lens will be first rate.

On the CL, my 18-55 at the wide end is so much better than my adapted 28/2.8 ASPH M that there is basically no contest.  That's not even taken into account that the equivalent 28mm corners at 18mm are much wider than the equivalent 42mm corners of the M lens.  

Point is, the CL / TL native lenses are so good across the board that I don't really know if saying the 18-55 is better than the 18 prime or vice versa is meaningful.  They are all good.

• Like 3

I have tested both in the 18mm range and have come to the conclusion that both are similar and very difficult to differentiate with the naked eye,

The 18mm. Depending on the subject and the area to be photographed, the background may blur a bit more.

Where you can see a lot in favor of 18mm is that both the CL and TL2 cameras make them lighter and aesthetically more beautiful:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1