Kaiser Wilhelm's last home

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

CL, Summilux 24 M

When WW1 was lost , Kaiser Wilhelm appeared at the Dutch border, aking asylum. The Dutch government saw no choice but to grant it. Nor did they accede to extradition requests by the Allies, being neutral. After a short while he bought Huis te Doorn, a small castle. He lived there to his death in 1941. As he had to ask permission to travel more than 10 miles,  he rarely if ever left his home, hoping for the restoration of the Monarchy. Although the Nazis embraced him for his rabid anti-semitic views, he never accepted their politics as he thought them to be lower-class thugs. Still, there was an official presence at his funeral, complete with a wreath with swastikas, despite his express wish that no such symbols would be displayed. Today the castle is kept exactly as he left it, including his collection of snuff boxes.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Guest Nowhereman

^ Not my favorite type of humor.

Interesting, though, that when the Shah of Iran wanted asylum in the US he was refused and ended up in Mexico City — to where, according to a documentary I saw a few years ago, the "wrong" doctors from New York came to treat him for cancer.

11 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

^ Not my favorite type of humor.

Interesting, though, that when the Shah of Iran wanted asylum in the US he was refused and ended up in Mexico City — to where, according to a documentary I saw a few years ago, the "wrong" doctors from New York came to treat him for cancer.

The world preferred Ayatollah Khomeini, and they are paying for it since; Iranians, themselves, even more!… Some people say  the treatments of those “ Doctors “ killed him!…. 

A team of US and European physicians examined the Shah in Mexico City, and the US granted him asylum on humanitarian grounds in the US for treatment in a modern hospital.  I forget if he went to Memorial Sloan Kettering in New York or Wilford Hall Hospital in San Antonio for his treatment.

Guest Nowhereman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

^ It's much more complicated and convoluted that that. There is an LA Times article on the documentary that I mentioned, here. You can also do a web search of reputable publications to get the full story.

Edited by Nowhereman

On 11/15/2021 at 3:56 AM, stuny said:

A team of US and European physicians examined the Shah in Mexico City, and the US granted him asylum on humanitarian grounds in the US for treatment in a modern hospital.  I forget if he went to Memorial Sloan Kettering in New York or Wilford Hall Hospital in San Antonio for his treatment.

Wilford Hall