Help! Can`t make up my mind beetwen 35mm Summaron f2.8 and Summicron V1

balzani_shots

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 minutes ago, shirubadanieru said:

Price wise the V4 makes more sense (V1 is double the V4 these days), but rendering wise I still prefer the V1 (it’s definitely softer wide open, but it has a more pleasing rendering to my eyes and the built quality / design is great too. Shooting them from f4 no difference)

V1 googled and V4 tiger claw with warranty for the same price, very nice condition... perhaps the V1 is a better deal, but it`s also older (1964 ) than the V4 ( don`t know it`s age yet )

1 minute ago, Aryel said:

I was curious about your prices and went on the Leica classic shop to find the summicron v1.  If I found the correct one, the summaron that you are looking seems really really expensive (it’d come at 4500euros?)

To me, the main difference is f2.8 vs f2. 

I`ve looked there too but thats not the one

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, balzani_shots said:

I`ve looked there too but thats not the one

I was too slow to delete 👍

Both the summaron and v1 are really lovely lenses. If you are not familiar with googled lens, I’d suggest to try before buying (relevant only for M Cameras). 

The v4 is also really good, different rendering. It all depends on your taste. if you are looking in this direction, you can also consider the Lux pre-asph (1m min focus distance though). However, if you are after the summaron, v1 rendering, these will be different.

The good thing is that if in good condition, they are all really outstanding. Just different. If you get a chance, try them out. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ianman said:

This is what I've read time and time again. Hence my request to see images. It would be interesting if someone has both and could do a side by side comparison. 

I sold the summaron to raise fund for the v1. I shoot 100% film so I wanted the extra stop. My way of testing is just shoot as usual and see how it looks like.  Happy to share some images but it will be completely uncontrolled and done with different scanners. 

Edited by Aryel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ian, I'd like to show side by side pictures, however I have none of couples to show side by side.

Not really surprising, as always, I use those lenses in real life use, never compare them (or other lenses side by side, for me it's pointless).

So my advice, is always use in real life in place of testing lenses (maybe it's just me ?).

Long time ago, I've done some testings to see that in controlled environments, the comparisons are waste of time, so I don't do that for long.

Happily, I stopped that 'testings' to take time to learn the gear in real use.

Let's go ahead for goggled/non-goggled 35mm.

if the weight of goggled Summicron SAMWO, at 239g is too heavy, I can't help.

consulting my note, 2/35  V1 is 159g, v II 170g. to have some bases.

Summaron is 160g (M2) and 237g (M3), these are real weights of my real lenses.

( i use digital scale has 1g more or less reading)

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Not really surprising, as always, I use those lenses in real life use, never compare them (or other lenses side by side, for me it's pointless).

Oh I absolutely agree. I was just wondering why over and over again I read that the rendering between the 8-element Summicron and the 2.8 Summaron as so alike as to be indistinguishable, but in contradiction I read that the Summicron has a unique rendering and the Summaron has "no distinguising signature".

So can the (presently at multi thousands of euros) price difference really be justified for one stop? Or is the 8-element Summicron, as I suspect, just another trend?

• Like 2

Ian, I think that it IS a trend.

This 8 elem. Summicron had something really new for me as long time user of Cron IV.

But like all other lenses, nothing magic, even if it's pleasing with some situations, it needs to be learned to appreciate.

Unlike the Summaron 2.8/35 which is easier lens to use, as I wrote 'good from f/2.8' and needs not to be 'learned' to know how to use at best.

Another lens though ( recent discovery, for most not in the loved category) for me 'replaced' the former two lenses, since some times now.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ianman said:

Error 404!

Sorry, search Flickr for this

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

To repeat myself,

comparisons are useless if we think to use seriously the lens with our own criterias.

Real use is the only way to know behaviors of the unit in use.

In my experiences, what other wrote did hardly what I myself waited for that particular 'nice' lens.

The worse case was Summarit 1.5/50 lenses that I was upset by many units and did think 'whaou' for the last one.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2

I had all 4 1970's 35s. I bought my M3 with goggled 35 f3.5, somebody traded me a newly refurbished M2 for the M3 and 35 and bought a 35 f2.8, I didn't like the lens and traded it for a 35 Summicron (not sure which version). Then I was offered a 35 V2 pre asph Summilux for the Summicron. I didn't get a chance to try out the Summicron very much but really liked the liked the Summilux, I am a mid fstop person and the Summilux was very good f2.8 to 8, and really funkly at f1.4, still have that lens.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally bought the 35mm, got a Summicron-M 35mm (1984 V4 -Tiger claw). 

The first two pictures taken with it, I`m quite pleased with it and hope to learn to use properly.

Thank you all for sharing your experience and opinions.

Best regards

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...