ON1 Photo Raw and non 6-bit coded lenses

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone, 

I am looking for an alternative to LR and I quite like the feature set of Photo Raw: the reason I want to move away from LR is the bad integration between the Mac and iPad workflow, I need something more functional instead of two very different and badly compatible programs - no sync of keywords or catalog structure and so on.

Photo Raw might be an alternative, but I very often use non 6-bit coded lenses and LensTagger is my friend in LR to identify the lenses and find them again in the catalog.

Capture One doesn't allow the freedom of rewriting the metadata in a similar way and Exif Editor app is useless - it doesn't change the root metadata of the file like LensTagger.

Does anyone use Photo Raw? Do you change the lens metadata to identify and catalog the files? Does it allow you to do so properly?

Thanks in advance!!

3 hours ago, Harpomatic said:

Do you change the lens metadata to identify and catalog the files?

I use Multi Tool 7 for Macs. Works fine to edit lens names on raw, dng, tiff, and jpeg files metadata. Cannot edit apertures on all files though, i don't know why.

Thanks for the suggestions! 

One great thing with the LensTagger plug-in is that I can select the images off the contact sheet in LR and apply the changes directly on those. That’s why I’m wondering about what options I have inside the post-processing software.

Other programs (like PhotoPad but even DXO) don’t have the iOS version that fully integrates with the desktop version.

Anyone using Photo Raw?

• 4 months later...

I've been using ON1 Raw for about 3 years now. The initial version was a bit slow (exports) and sometimes a little finicky, but the latest ON1 Raw 2022 is very good. Their concept of filters and presets is nice and you can create your own camera and lens profiles. It also comes bundled with a number of AI tools and NoNoise.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use ON1 too and really like the 2022 version.  I create a keyword called .Lens (with the "." in front so it sits at the top of my keyword list and it is easy to find).  Under the .Lens keyword I create sub-keywords for each lens that I own.  When I am done editing my files from an outing I select all the photos (CTRL A) and add the keyword for the lens that I used.  It isn't perfect if you forget to do that or if you change lenses often.  I just make a habit of importing from my card after each shoot and usually I only go out with one or maybe two lenses at the most.  I have never used Lightroom so I am not spoiled by anything it offers that ON1 doesn't.  I think it would drive me nuts to switch between LR and Adobe and NR software.  All that is included in ON1 so it is all in one place.

If you do go with ON1 check out Scott Davenport on YouTube he has great videos explaining how to use ON1.  The first year I bought ON1 I got the extended support that gave me access to all their videos but I really didn't use it that much.  I found the free ON1 videos had enough info with the addition of what you can find on YouTube.

The only thing I really miss is the opportunity to try some of the Leica presets for Lightroom but I am happy to edit my photos to my taste and I mostly use vintage lenses with my SL (601) anyway.

Report back if you start using ON1 and let us know how you tag your lenses.