Rethinking my digital photo storage - how do others do it?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 minutes ago, P1505 said:

You’re determined to save me space. I’m determined to get a new drive.

Your way is cheaper. My way helps save me from this 12 year old drive failing :)

My way is 'Win Win'. You can still buy a new drive, if you deem it prudent to do so.😀

• Haha 1

I don't think that is has been mentioned here before. DNG files can be uncompressed or compressed. Of the various compressing features, some can compress the image files in a way that does not lose any information at all; it merely shrinks the files by using the storage space within the file more efficiently. It might be worthwhile to convert all DNG files to a compressed format if they are not already compressed.

Even if storage capacity is cheap, moving a large number of bloated image files between several locations is not and will not become cheap enough.

• Thanks 1

And further to pop..

Living with computers is a dystopian nightmare.

One just spends time where the images are...backed up enough, safe enough, did a brown-out happen last night, who wants to look at my images now (no-one). Some like to think it's "money in the bank"...big no, it's worthless.

Vast storage has unobtrusively been pushed on us as a good thing.

1 hour ago, P1505 said:

Ok. You win.

Ill buy 12tb of new storage and cull so I could of got away with a 512meg USB stick.

I am confident that you will reap the benefits once you reach the creative phase of your retirement. Happy days.