Shooting in DNG and how people deal with storage

2 hours ago, Alberti said:

I from principle do not use a cloud service for photo's. 

I should have a look on that LrSynch folder - I'm not sure I have that without the cloud attached. 

For what is described here, you would not be using the cloud for anything but transfer - not for storage. If you have the Adobe LR/PS subscription you get this service as part of the package, without paying for more than the minimum 20Gb cloud. Such transfers do not count to your storage use.

I am waiting for a new Lacie 16 TB hard drive storage to be delivered tomorrow. Storage has come down in price significantly over the years. I am paying virtually the same amount for 16 TB as I did for 8 TB seven years ago. I tried the smaller Lacie Rugged (orange colour) drives recently when cost was an issue. They are pretty good 5 TB units but they do not have internal cooling fans, thunderbolt connections or Raid potential. One can easily end up with a filing cabinet full of orange things. It's more convenient to store in a single unit and have an automatic mirror copy drive. In saying that I have two very heavy silver hard drive boxes with images between 2012-2021 and another offsite drive with the same images from the other two units. It's a crazy expense when I think about all my railway images stored away with no prospect of actually using them. Why I am storing them? Although I have created a Lacie 4 TB Rugged drive with all my finished train images sized for social media and in JPG to pass on to some other Rail Fan when the time is right.

I lost a packing box of negatives from my years working as a photographer; 1975-1987. I lumped that wooden box around from state to state, house to house until they disappeared from a friends garage in 2000. I may have felt bad enough about such a loss to want to save and protect my more recent images! Every now and again I go through my files and cull images which are obviously superfluous such as the fifteen plus train images shot on continuous mode before and after the best frame. I have saved quite a bit of space however hardly ever cull my street photography work as I often return to folders and see images I can process that I didn't see two years before.

I have no control over what happens to my images when I am no longer on this planet except that my sister or niece will hang on to the drives. I am sure some of my images would be very interesting in another forty years which by then a new and easier methods of storage would be available. Instead of scanning negatives to digital we will be transferring Petabytes of images to SD card size storage systems or into personal cloud storage allotted at birth.

In the meantime I await yet another heavy metal box (the size of small shoebox) to upload my next 8 TB worth of images.          

Ken 

15 hours ago, Alberti said:

I'm not sure I have that without the cloud attached. 

Open preferences.  Select the "Lightroom Sync" tab.  I used the "Specify location for Lightroom's Synced images" option and picked a folder of my choice.  That's my "LrSync" folder.

Once that is done anything that you import to Lr on your phone or tablet will show up in that folder.  I move such images to a LrC folder of choice and remove them from the cloud.

As I mentioned in another post I don't do that very often.  It can be handy, though.  I have no idea how it would scale when handling large number of images.

I have been a victim of my own negligence in the past. At some point, many of my photos taken with the Canon 5d Mk II disappeared never to be seen again. I suspect it happened to some of you guys in a similar way and of course after such an incident you are smarter than before. After that, I regularly backed up my photos. Over the years, it grew into what it is today. Probably a bit over the top;) but mass storage has become cheap. The whole thing is an on-premise solution and doesn't need a cloud or subscription. It is based on redundancy. I just found the thread and would like to share the concept.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Now I have bought the mentioned hub that can connect to the iPad. I did have to buy the USB/Lightning cable too. And I'll use a 500 GB SATA disk. That disk is slow and hence low-temperature and hence longlevity is assured.

• I will report back how succesfull I am 🤔 in connecting a hub to the iPad (pro, 2012) and moving files around from SD directly to the hub the SD is on too.

I will subsequently look at that setting in LR - the "Lightroom Sync" tab. I still have RAW files and attached JPEGs in the iPad. I copied them - some were in the ipad-finder, not in LR. There I made the mistake in handling.

And yes I agree a BU strategy is important. I have a 6TB HDD and copy my main folder there (using tha incremental setting of CCC) while my SD-imports are copied to a sata SSD drive. I used to have a NAS but because that is HDD hungry I do not use it. The disks are only backup, not for use, so the whole idea of a NAS does not fit my need. 

Edited by Alberti

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry. It didn't work.

I bought an attachment that has lightning out and lightning in, & it charges the iPad. Looked smart and fit for use.

But the attachment does not provide power to the USB drive.

• In itself, alone, on the iMac, the drive with its SATA drive runs 540 Mbs read and write. So that is healthy.
  • When attached to the adapter, the power lights do not light up in the drive. So there is no power connection to the drive, and it cannot be seen as an external drive.
  • The adapter only allows working with a self-powered drive. And unluckily, I bought a wrong one. . .
  • I also tried a cable creation cable that connects USB-C to Lightning and allows charging (of the iPad) and is made for data connections, but again, that cable did not power up the drive from the iPad battery. So far so bad.

I tested the adapter with a self-powered USB-C 3.5" drive and that works perfect. That drive shows up in the maps of the iPad.

Any tips from others?

maybe this is only intended for a cable to the camera??

Edited by Alberti

About the Cablecreation,

• it will not establish a connection to a self-powered USB-C drive..
  • it works good in connecting to my iMac. it charges and my iPad is seen on the computer. [But the iMac is not seen on the iPad. . .] So I can handle files from the computer. Great for off-loading at home. [But I sort of dislike using the iPad as storage on the run.]

So the L-USB cable is handy, but it fits not my current attempt - I want to travel sans the computer . . .

Edited by Alberti

2 hours ago, Alberti said:

But the attachment does not provide power to the USB drive.

Yeah, I think using a hard drive is out of the question.  Regardless of the adapter the iPad can't provide enough power.  But I think if you replace the hard drive with something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/250gb-flash-drive/s?k=250gb+flash+drive

you'd be fine. You can also get them in 512 GB and 1 TB sizes.  I picked 256 GB because that's what I have and I know works at a reasonable price.  I no longer buy cheapie unknown brand flash drives.  BTDT and threw them away all to soon.

That is a nice Flash drive. And they have a rather high speed (Sandisk: 150 Mbs); 

But what I would prefer is a solution that has a SD card in it; and a drive, such that files can be copied from SD to drive. 

I'm afraid these two requirements that I set myself won't be met. At least I've not bought a right dongle or dock whatever they are called that is self powered, but they do exist, they were just more expensive and larger.

I thought - My unit claimed that it would interwork with an iPad though.

Edited by Alberti

On 5/28/2023 at 9:14 PM, Graham H said:

about 2200 over a few days

Talk her over to an M4, with an APO 35 for instance. Could help to consider the value of an image.

Yes. Film is slow.

In digital everything must be fast.

Last time (2021) I loaded a card to my iPad it was so slow, after 20 minutes i got anxious, thinking it failed (I could not see what happened) ; so I took out the SD card.

The picture shows what happens: pictures in transit that were partly copied, were adorned with, I must say, beautiful artifacts.

That is why I search a fast way to back-up away, without taking my MBP along. So something small manageable from the iPad, outside of it.

Edited by Alberti

12 hours ago, Alberti said:

I thought - My unit claimed that it would interwork with an iPad though.

It probably does work with your iPad.  It doesn't work with a device that demands more power than the iPad can provide.   Apple talks about this in https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/external-storage-devices-ipad75b7b23f/ipados -- you probably need an external power source to use a physical hard drive.

Yes, I think so too. Well, OK, I'm Dutch and like the Scottish we are penny-foolish. That is, the SD reader/drive enclosure I bought costs me € 18. So not much 'lost'. The drive by the way is excellent - 540 Mbs for SATA - on the Apple Studio ; so they have a good modern controller in it. 

• 6 months later...
On 6/13/2023 at 11:24 AM, Alberti said:

For the OP:

I once on a holiday tried storing on my ipad - that was a disaster. How to get it off? I have LR on the pad, even then, I had a problem getting it out. And copying to the ipad takes ages, even in file transfer mode. My suggestion is a USB 'hub' that allows a portable NVME flash drive to be connected and has a card reader in it; there are even small hubs that have both an internal NVME drive and a card reader. This should allow you to copy directly from the SD to that external disk to unload the photo card - bypassing the internal memory of the ipad. And it allows fast access at home again. [But I have this in mind, not in use yet]

JPG is hard to edit. DNG is great. I can understand. I admire the Q series and love to give my wife the newest.

For storage at home, I switched to two dual slot USB NVME readers, with 2TB cards. In total I have 3 TB available this way. Then I have even a faster card for the catalogue of LR. And its associated normal size temporary image files. This way I can import with high speed (the importing bottleneck is not just the card reader, but also writing elsewhere.)

2.200 images in a holiday in a week is normal & even with DNG this is doable (not many mortals do that 52 weeks a year, you'ld have 100K a year and you will need 4.000 hours just to look at them, select, etc etc plus editing time, reading this forum  🤕 - a full time job that some pro's let a assistant do).

Example at the amazon:

USB-C Hub with M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SD/TF Card Reader for Windows, Mac OS, iPad OS

Use the cloud.

Here is my workflow (still working it out):

• Browse SD card as 'Local' in Lightroom and flag my picks (typically <5% of the shots)
  • Upload picks to the cloud, which are simultaneously saved to my MacBook hard drive by Lightroom
  • Save exported JPEGs to my MacBook, and then upload to iCloud Photos
  • Time Machine back-up to a 2TB hard-drive periodically 

Doing this I have I have 3 copies of the data (MacBook, Lightroom / iCloud photos, Time Machine), on two different media, and one of them is off-site.

The limitations of this workflow are that this will only work up to 1TB of photos due to both my MacBook drive and Lightroom plan. But I figure that this is still around 20,000 photos (and picks at that), which should last me a long time. 

Sorry, I don't understand your comment. All my pics are on icloud at a minimal annual cost. I have had no probs and I can open icloud anywhere in the world, providing I have my MacBook with me of course.