Does the CL over heat in hot weather?

It will depend on what you have switched on. If you have continuous focus activated. If you have the LCD constantly on. If you shoot continuous video If you do not have it set up to sleep. All will cause the camera to get hot,  but no overheat.

I've recently discovered that my Leica CL was functioning oddly when I was out walking, with it being carried in the small sling pack that I've taken to using. The key malfunction I found was that the EVF-LCD sensor would not switch between the two display devices; the camera otherwise continued to work normally. It was an 85-90°F day. Once I arrived home and took it out of the pack, everything worked fine again. Hmm.

Similarly, I discovered that a whole pack of Polaroid SX-70 photos I'd taken at a party were ruined—processed to practically black—when I arrived home and took them out of the same pack. Hmm. I tested that camera at room temperature at home later with the rest of the pack of film and with a fresh pack ... no problems with either the camera or the film. Hmm again. 

So I'm now switching to using my simple Waterfield Musette bag when the temperature is high. This is a canvas bag that is open at the top and slings nicely on my back with cameras and such neatly tucked inside ... I guess the closed, zipped tight nylon sling bag simply becomes a little heat bubble sitting on my back as I cycle where the open top of the Waterfield Musette allows the cameras and film to stay cool enough. I'll test this theory out with the Polaroid today ... it's 85°F outside now, and I'm about to go out for a ride and some lunch. :) 

G

My conjecture was correct. Switching bags to the Musette solved the problem with the Polaroid film. I'm sure the CL (and other electronics) will be happier in the Musette for the summer too. I should put a thermometer into the other bag and see what its temperatures on a hot day look like... :D

G

The "won't switch between EVF and LCD" is a usually a problem with dust on the eye sensor, not a temperature problem.

I tend to shoot in dusty places, and when dust gathers on the EVF eye sensor, it gets stuck on the EVF mode and won't switch back to the LCD.

The solution is to clean the dust off the eye sensor.

This is hard to do on the CL because the eye sensor is in a little notch of plastic and hard to reach. It's much easier to clean on Sony cameras.

Toshi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 6 Stunden schrieb TMorita:

The "won't switch between EVF and LCD" is a usually a problem with dust on the eye sensor, not a temperature problem.

I tend to shoot in dusty places, and when dust gathers on the EVF eye sensor, it gets stuck on the EVF mode and won't switch back to the LCD.

The solution is to clean the dust off the eye sensor.

This is hard to do on the CL because the eye sensor is in a little notch of plastic and hard to reach. It's much easier to clean on Sony cameras.

Toshi

I have also had the eye sensor fail soon after I bought the camera, in winter. If you find yourself continually cleaning the eye sensor call Leica. After the replacement I have just cleaned the eye sensor as normal maintenance.  

9 hours ago, TMorita said:

The "won't switch between EVF and LCD" is a usually a problem with dust on the eye sensor, not a temperature problem. ...

... And of course this is what I thought was going on at first glance.

But on close inspection with a magnifying glass, it didn't seem to be dusty. And as soon as the camera's temperature was back at room temperature, it operated correctly again. And now my Polaroid prints are processing correctly having switched to a different bag that has a different thermal environment. 

Such it is.'

G

1 hour ago, ramarren said:

But on close inspection with a magnifying glass, it didn't seem to be dusty. And as soon as the camera's temperature was back at room temperature, it operated correctly again. And now my Polaroid prints are processing correctly having switched to a different bag that has a different thermal environment. 

Such it is.'

G

Then it is a different problem - my apologies.

Mine is very sensitive to dust on the sensor.

Toshi

Mine has gotten hot on some of the over 100*F days we get here but never shut down.  If I notice it getting warm I'll turn it off until it cools down a bit.  

My Hasselblad X1D however, goes bonkers in hot weather and will freeze up and shut down.  Have to pull and reinsert the battery to get it to work again.  After that happened a couple of times in over 100* temperatures I make sure that the Hassy & the CL don't get too warm.  

On 7/28/2021 at 9:01 AM, ramarren said:

Such it is.'

On 7/28/2021 at 10:59 AM, TMorita said:

Then it is a different problem - my apologies.

Mine is very sensitive to dust on the sensor.

I had the CL out for a cycle ride and some casual shooting today using the bag that doesn't cause Polaroid prints to have a problem. It was warm out and I didn't expect the CL would have a problem with heat. But as I made a few exposures and used the viewfinder a bit, I noticed that it was laggy about switching between the EVF and the LCD. I also noticed that my sensor had a few dust spots on it. 

So when I got home, I took the camera out of the half case, cleaned the sensor thoroughly, and then wiped the body down carefully with a Q-tip. I noticed a bit of grime around the outer edge of the ocular glass and the Q-tip didn't do much to remove that, so I used a toothpick and a nice thick microfiber cloth. The ocular glass is now sparkling clean everywhere. A three mile walk in the afternoon sun and heat ... no problems at all. 

Life is good. :) 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 2:35 PM, ramarren said:

I had the CL out for a cycle ride and some casual shooting today using the bag that doesn't cause Polaroid prints to have a problem. It was warm out and I didn't expect the CL would have a problem with heat. But as I made a few exposures and used the viewfinder a bit, I noticed that it was laggy about switching between the EVF and the LCD. I also noticed that my sensor had a few dust spots on it. 

So when I got home, I took the camera out of the half case, cleaned the sensor thoroughly, and then wiped the body down carefully with a Q-tip. I noticed a bit of grime around the outer edge of the ocular glass and the Q-tip didn't do much to remove that, so I used a toothpick and a nice thick microfiber cloth. The ocular glass is now sparkling clean everywhere. A three mile walk in the afternoon sun and heat ... no problems at all. 

Life is good. :) 

You should also make sure your "Eye sensor sensitivity" is set to "low", as the other setting I find too sensitive.

Toshi

On 8/2/2021 at 11:30 PM, TMorita said:

You should also make sure your "Eye sensor sensitivity" is set to "low", as the other setting I find too sensitive.

Toshi

I almost always have it on "low", yes. Sometimes I seem to need it on high, and it's current ambient lighting that seems to be the reason.

... I've been using the CL extensively since Summer 2018, btw. I'm pretty familiar with all the features and foibles. :D The funky behavior in that bag in the heat was a new one on me. Hasn't happened since I switched bags and cleaned the body. 

G