Mechanical Perfection

Guess what? Today, I noticed scratches on a frame in my roll. Longitudinal scratches. If you want to see the type of scratches, looks closely towards the top of this photo: https://www.flickr.com/gp/gbbr/L08S49. I then went back and noticed this on all my negatives shot with the camera.

Of course I know that I was an idiot just earlier and assumed that my shutter curtain has a leak and it was actually dirt on the sensor of the camera I used for scanning. Granted, the "krispy rice" on the shutter curtain is not something that got there by my hand. I always exchange lenses with the shutter uncocked. I only advance the film before shooting. Anyway....

I picked up a roll of 400TX, pulled out about 40cm of it and examined it very carefully to guarantee that it is scratch free. I then loaded this roll into the camera, advanced the film 5 frames, rewound, and checked it. Scratches. God damn scratches. On the non-emulsion side mostly. I did this test two times, with two different rolls, so it is 100% the camera. Now, I do not care to discover the source of this, or to understand the technical reason behind it (pressure plate or whatever). My only goal is to make my experience heard.

This is my 3rd exchange MP. An MP which was arguably checked by a senior analog technician at Leica. Frankly, at this point, I refuse to believe I am unlucky, and I strongly believe that Leica is not capable of building a functional analog M camera. I believe that all the people (counting only 4 or 5 in this thread) that say that they have a reliable M-A or MP, have been just lucky, or have some older batch (pre-2010) which might've been better. All this, while I was in the process of ordering a second MP in silver. Thank God this happened and I cancelled that order. I can not describe how upset I am. I really love Leica M cameras, nothing compares to them, but this is just ridiculous. Leica clearly has the blueprints to put together the camera, but not the hands.

And here's the beauty shot, going in for my 3rd test with a clean roll. I advanced 5 frames and rewound, then did that again with this film, to make sure extra marks are there. I succeeded, if one can call this a success.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

13 minutes ago, gabrielaszalos said:

And here's the beauty shot, going in for my 3rd test with a clean roll. I advanced 5 frames and rewound, then did that again with this film, to make sure extra marks are there. I succeeded, if one can call this a success.

I know you're fed up and don't really want to analyze the problem with your latest MP, but I'm curious, are these scratches across the entire length of the previous rolls you shot or just at the start of the roll?  I can't see the scratches in the photos of the hanging film or I could probably answer my own question. 

5 minutes ago, logan2z said:

I know you're fed up and don't really want to analyze the problem with your latest MP, but I'm curious, are these scratches across the entire length of the previous rolls you shot or just at the start of the roll?  I can't see the scratches in the photos of the hanging film or I could probably answer my own question. 

You're right. I am fed up. It's not hard to see that they are on all frames of my roll, since the first roll I shot. If you want, I can share one of my rolls in private, although not sure how it helps, unless you have some reason that this will help *you*

2 minutes ago, gabrielaszalos said:

You're right. I am fed up. It's not hard to see that they are on all frames of my roll, since the first roll I shot. If you want, I can share one of my rolls in private, although not sure how it helps, unless you have some reason that this will help *you*

No, it won't help me, I was just curious if it affected the entire roll.  

That really sucks.  As I've mentioned several times before, my M-A bought new a few years ago has been flawless - and I'm not usually particularly lucky with these sorts of things ;)

I hate to say this, but it might be time to give up 😔

Just now, logan2z said:

No, it won't help me, I was just curious if it affected the entire roll.  

That really sucks.  As I've mentioned several times before, my M-A bought new a few years ago has been flawless - and I'm not usually particularly lucky with these sorts of things ;)

I hate to say this, but it might be time to give up 😔

Maybe. I'll see what Customer Care says. Since it's a new camera (exchange or not), it probably warrants yet another exchange. Whether I'll give the lottery another chance or not, I'll see. If a mint good condition M2 shows up on my radar, I might go for that instead. The only thing holding me back is the nice viewfinder of the new cameras. But better a dimmer viewfinder than a broken camera...

The phenomenon actually is worse as time goes by. My inital rolls have very few scratches, and then it gets progressively worse on each subsequent roll.

1 minute ago, gabrielaszalos said:

Maybe. I'll see what Customer Care says. Since it's a new camera (exchange or not), it probably warrants yet another exchange. Whether I'll give the lottery another chance or not, I'll see. If a mint good condition M2 shows up on my radar, I might go for that instead. The only thing holding me back is the nice viewfinder of the new cameras. But better a dimmer viewfinder than a broken camera...

The phenomenon actually is worse as time goes by. My inital rolls have very few scratches, and then it gets progressively worse on each subsequent roll.

You have more patience than I do :)

FWIW, I've never owned an M2, but I do own an M4 and I don't really notice much if any difference between its viewfinder and the one in my M-A.  Both are nice and bright.  So you may not be giving up much going for an older camera.  But if you can manage to get a working BP MP, then it's hard to argue against that option. 

You’re saying it’s on the non-emulsion side (the back side) of the film. I hate to ask this, as I’m legitimately not trying to provoke you as I’m sure you’ve already checked, but just in case: is there any dust or debris on the back plate of the door that could be scratching the film? I ask because you state that it’s getting worse over time, and that indicates to me it could be a “build up” of something.

I got a black paint 0.72 MP in 2003.  I had no issues until 2013, when a screw (internal) backed out and froze the film advance lever. 

I sent it off to Sherry Krauter and she had it up and running again in short order.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Thanks 1

Just now, logan2z said:

You have more patience than I do :)

FWIW, I've never owned an M2, but I do own an M4 and I don't really notice much if any difference between its viewfinder and the one in my M-A.  Both are nice and bright.  So you may not be giving up much going for an older camera.  But if you can manage to get a working BP MP, then it's hard to argue against that option. 

Thanks, that good to know.

Just now, 28framelines said:

You’re saying it’s on the non-emulsion side (the back side) of the film. I hate to ask this, as I’m legitimately not trying to provoke you as I’m sure you’ve already checked, but just in case: is there any dust or debris on the back plate of the door that could be scratching the film? I ask because you state that it’s getting worse over time, and that indicates to me it could be a “build up” of something.

I appreciate the sensitivity. You're right. I am also wondering. When I did the last test, I did check carefully inside, and tried to wipe the pressure plate clean and feel if there's any debris or dust in there. It does seem to be getting worse and worse. It hasn't helped though. I might try this again. 

Also, it may be that it's getting worse and worse, but also the fact that this became more noticeable since I switched from HP5 to Tri-X. Maybe Tri-X is just more sensitive. Either way, I'll consider looking once more, even more carefully. I do want to state though that I haven't opened the camera anywhere outside of a house. Whenever I opened it to change film, I always did it quickly, indoors, and without really opening the backdoor much. I'm going to be back with more details if anything changes. Thank you for your suggestions.

5 minutes ago, gabrielaszalos said:

Thanks, that good to know.

I appreciate the sensitivity. You're right. I am also wondering. When I did the last test, I did check carefully inside, and tried to wipe the pressure plate clean and feel if there's any debris or dust in there. It does seem to be getting worse and worse. It hasn't helped though. I might try this again. 

Also, it may be that it's getting worse and worse, but also the fact that this became more noticeable since I switched from HP5 to Tri-X. Maybe Tri-X is just more sensitive. Either way, I'll consider looking once more, even more carefully. I do want to state though that I haven't opened the camera anywhere outside of a house. Whenever I opened it to change film, I always did it quickly, indoors, and without really opening the backdoor much. I'm going to be back with more details if anything changes. Thank you for your suggestions.

Good luck, keep us posted. 

Thanks. I just opened the back, cleaned the pressure plate with a Zeiss Lens Wipe, then wiped it clean with a microfiber cloth I have from Leica. Afterwards, I took yet another clean new TMax-400 rolls and rubbed it against the pressure plate. This is the result:

6 hours ago, gabrielaszalos said:

Honestly, you could buy a nice M2 or M4 and have the MP finder put in it, have the camera overhauled, and put on a new covering for less that what a new MP costs. 

• Like 1