Mechanical Perfection

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/1/2022 at 6:21 PM, malligator said:

And yet it's not mentioned once (that I can find, to be fair) in the 15+ year old "I love my MP" thread.

5 hours ago, maxfairclough said:

Wow!

I have a late 2020 Leica MP production model and the counter also failed me a year later. I only got round to getting it repaired in November and it took until last week for the parts to arrive in Australia for it to be replaced. I thought I was unlucky, but maybe it is a problem.

My repair was free/under warranty.

Strange how that happens.

• 3 weeks later...
Am 26.1.2022 um 22:35 schrieb 28framelines:

Yea, same with me. Curious, who signed off on your MP after final inspection? Mine didn’t focus fully to infinity, so I got mine repaired.

Hi, I just got your message, was long time not present here. Did check the papers, final inspection was performed by B. Scharf, my camera serial number is 56311xx, from November 2021, so very fresh batch of MP's. I love the camera, but would like to have it being adjusted properly out of the factory. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2022 at 6:20 AM, Jaka Skorjanc said:

Hi, I just got your message, was long time not present here. Did check the papers, final inspection was performed by B. Scharf, my camera serial number is 56311xx, from November 2021, so very fresh batch of MP's. I love the camera, but would like to have it being adjusted properly out of the factory. 

That is funny because "B.Scharf" also signed off on my first silver M-A produced in 2022 and it had a leatherette and slow shutter speed problem. I got it exchanged and the second copy and was also signed off by "B.Scharf". The second copy works well mechanically, but the black rubber coating/paint on the body behind the bottom the film door is peeling. Not a big deal but paying 5k for this camera with flaws is just disappointing. Something tells me this guy is very incompetent at his job and half assing it. Maybe we should bring up this concern to Leica.

My black MP was also manufactured in November 2021. It has frame spacing issues where mid roll, two pictures would touch and sometimes over lap. The box is stored in my closet and I am scared to check if it was also signed off by "B.Scharf"...

Edited by 69xchange

On 3/27/2022 at 2:45 PM, 69xchange said:

My black MP was also manufactured in November 2021. It has frame spacing issues where mid roll, two pictures would touch and sometimes over lap.

To defend the "final controller" of the MP, this flaw of frame spacing could not be detected while "carefully inspected" in the factory, or she/he would be a magician.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 9:41 PM, gabrielaszalos said:

Hahah, that's funny. I actually don't know what that is. I tried to push it away very slowly with the tip of a (not too sharp) pencil without success, but I don't want to risk damaging the curtain in any way. I think I will just leave it there. For what it's worth: I only change lenses at home, and I do it fast to minimise any dust going into either the back glass of my lenses or the camera. I'm pretty sure the camera came with that thing there from new. Attaching a less extreme phone photo. I also tend to believe that if a brush could wipe it away, the shutter slamming would've also caused it to fall off...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Desperate time call for desperate measure... maybe you can try using a blackmarket pen and dab the spot.

I have had three MP’s and one M-A. I will say the M-A had to go back immediately for an adjustment, and IMO the shutter was too loud compared to M3’s and MP’s so I sold it.  My first MP was a 0.72 finder black paint and I had zero trouble with it ever - it even started braising on the top and I sold it when I bought #2 and #3 which were 0.58 and 0.85 a-la-carte bodies.  I have never had trouble with either of those as well.  I’ve not shot those as hard as the first one (I used to shoot > 100 rolls per year and am now down to 50-60) but enough that trouble would show.  So, from the OP, that is 3 of 4 that were perfect.  Have no clue who inspected them…

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought my MP BP 3 weeks ago before knowing the existance of this thread in the forum, so I started to panic a bit, I was concerned about MP quality construction, but at least the first 10 rolls I made with it, it feels smoother and tighter and the VF is way better than my M3 and M2 that I had before the MP, so no regrets about the decision selling my older stuff to get the MP.  I'll hope it keeps this way for a long time and 100s of rolls done

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cesc said:

I bought my MP BP 3 weeks ago before knowing the existance of this thread in the forum, so I started to panic a bit, I was concerned about MP quality construction, but at least the first 10 rolls I made with it, it feels smoother and tighter and the VF is way better than my M3 and M2 that I had before the MP, so no regrets about the decision selling my older stuff to get the MP.  I'll hope it keeps this way for a long time and 100s of rolls done

Remember that you get skewed numbers on this forum. There are a lot of people who buy these cameras that have no issues with them, so there’s no need to reach out in forums for help. While the issues seen here are valid, it’s probably a much smaller number % wise than it might seem of the total number of MP owners.

4 hours ago, 28framelines said:

Remember that you get skewed numbers on this forum. There are a lot of people who buy these cameras that have no issues with them, so there’s no need to reach out in forums for help. While the issues seen here are valid, it’s probably a much smaller number % wise than it might seem of the total number of MP owners.

that's true! It reminds me a bit that moment, Imagine a thread of MP owners just saying that their cameras are working properly