Mechanical Perfection

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, jakontil said:

i picked up 2020 july production black paint mp, the metering was off, no power at all, just like MA, returned it and swoop to a silver one, the focus finder was misaligned vertically, which was a pain too with some ghosting

live with it, sent it to local repair, back and work flawlessly

recently acquired another mp black paint for the love of it  production 2021 march, perfect out of the box... couldnt be happier

Wouldn’t you have lost warranty if you sent it for repair another place than Leica?

I also got a March 2021 production BP MP, it has uneven frame spacing but decided to live with it. 

1 hour ago, gabrielaszalos said:

Wouldn’t you have lost warranty if you sent it for repair another place than Leica?

I also got a March 2021 production BP MP, it has uneven frame spacing but decided to live with it. 

hi how do you describe uneven frame spacing? in the exposed film?

yea i would live without its marvelous 2 years warranty, since sending back to leica going to take ages from where i live, especially during the pandemic like now, it would be absurd

anyway, i m used with leica being without its warranty though, keep finger crossed everything is fixable

On 4/18/2021 at 4:36 PM, jakontil said:

hi how do you describe uneven frame spacing? in the exposed film?

yea i would live without its marvelous 2 years warranty, since sending back to leica going to take ages from where i live, especially during the pandemic like now, it would be absurd

anyway, i m used with leica being without its warranty though, keep finger crossed everything is fixable

See here

• Like 1

I just noticed a speck on each and every photo I took with this camera since I bought it. I thought my lens was dirty, but it wasn't. Here we go, say "surprise!"

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

What could this be? It doesn't look like a burn...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Speck on each photo you took ?

I don't understand how this thing on front of the shutter blind can cause the speck on each photo.

Neither do I, but this spot is on each and every photo I took (when the exposure is enough in that area) since I have this camera, in the exact same position. I don't have another explanation. Lenses are clean and have been squeaky clean since I received them. Maybe it's a burn and the shutter is thinner there and the light gets trough? I don't have another explanation.

Edited by gabrielaszalos

At same place on each frame ?

Maybe you are unlucky again to have this thin spot on the shutter.

Try this ...

When your MP is empty, take out the lens, then have a look on back, with flap-door open, shine a light on front then if you see where is  the "spot",

there is the cause.

How about the not regular frame spacings ?

Just now, a.noctilux said:

At same place on each frame ?

Maybe you are unlucky again to have this thin spot on the shutter.

Try this ...

When your MP is empty, take out the lens, then have a look on back, with flap-door open, shine a light on front then if you see where is  the "spot",

there is the cause.

How about the not regular frame spacings ?

Thanks! That's a good idea! I will try that. The irregular frame spacings still happen, but not as extreme as the above photo. I don't mind that so much anymore. I am happy to accept this imperfection.

14 minutes ago, gabrielaszalos said:

Can't see anything with the light. But, I just checked the test roll I got from Leica in the brand new camera box. The speck is visible on 90% of the photos with both my lenses: https://www.flickr.com/gp/gbbr/x6xB7Y. Check right side, a bit down from centre.

I can see more than one spot, Gabriel. There is one near the centre of the frame too (can be easily seen here and on the frames either side). The white blob on the shutter is weird but I doubt is a hole and causing the spots on the negatives. It looks more like a blob of paint or something like that. You'd definitely see a hole in the curtain by shining a torch through it and I'm not sure it's in the right place anyway for your spot as film negs are upside down and reversed compared to what you see through the VF. Light leaks are also usually more dramatic and variable in shape.

Edited by wattsy

2 minutes ago, wattsy said:

I can see more than one spot, Gabriel. There is one near the centre of the frame too (can be easily seen here and on the frames either side). The white blob on the shutter is weird but I doubt is a hole and causing the spots on the negatives. You'd definitely see a hole in the curtain by shining a torch through it and I'm not sure it's in the right place anyway as film negs are upside down and reversed compared to what you see through the VF.

Whatever it is, it’s there, on every frame, theirs and mine, in the same spot. 

4 minutes ago, gabrielaszalos said:

Are you processing these negs yourself? I agree the blobs are odd and look consistent but you have to rule out a developing issue before you can assume it is the camera causing it.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

Just now, wattsy said:

I can see more than one spot, Gabriel. There is one near the centre of the frame too (can be easily seen here and on the next frame). The white blob on the shutter is weird but I doubt is a hole and causing the spots on the negatives. You'd definitely see a hole in the curtain by shining a torch through it and I'm not sure it's in the right place anyway as film negs are upside down and reversed compared to what you see through the VF.

That's what I was just about to say. 

1 minute ago, gabrielaszalos said:

You should be able to test if it's a hole in the shutter just by taking the lens off and pointing the camera at the light, then wind on without shooting a picture. You will then not be getting confused over the image projected in the camera being upside down and back to front.

Also, are the spots actually on the negs themselves or just on the scans? The Flickr photos look to have been taken with a Canon DSLR using a macro lens which might simply mean that you are seeing dust on the sensor.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, wattsy said:

Also, are the spots actually on the negs themselves or just on the scans? The Flickr photos look to have been taken with a Canon DSLR using a macro lens which might simply mean that you are seeing dust on the sensor.

Yep. You're right. Man I feel like an idiot. I tried scanning the negs again, and moved to different positions. Spot is always constant. It's not on the negatives.

• Like 4

I had an MP from when they were initially introduced in circa 2003 until 2012.  No problems.  It was from the initial batch because it had the old M6 ISO plate.  Only got rid of it because I got out of rangefinders for some years.  When I got back into rangefinders, I opted for the older M2 because the frame lines were more accurate at the distances I typically shoot.  No problems with them either, although each needed an initial CLA.

Edited by TheBestSLIsALeicaflex
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gabrielaszalos said:

It's not on the negatives.

Good.  Now, were you eating Rice Krispies while changing lenses?

That looks like a small piece of debris on the surface of the shutter curtain, rather than a thin spot.  Maybe you can try gently wiping it away with a soft brush. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, logan2z said:

Good.  Now, were you eating Rice Krispies while changing lenses?

That looks like a small piece of debris on the surface of the shutter curtain, rather than a thin spot.  Maybe you can try gently wiping it away with a soft brush. 

Hahah, that's funny. I actually don't know what that is. I tried to push it away very slowly with the tip of a (not too sharp) pencil without success, but I don't want to risk damaging the curtain in any way. I think I will just leave it there. For what it's worth: I only change lenses at home, and I do it fast to minimise any dust going into either the back glass of my lenses or the camera. I'm pretty sure the camera came with that thing there from new. Attaching a less extreme phone photo. I also tend to believe that if a brush could wipe it away, the shutter slamming would've also caused it to fall off...