Mechanical Perfection

4 hours ago, malligator said:

My M-A has been perfect for almost two years. I'm about to order its MP companion. I'll report how it goes, but I suspect it'll be just fine.

Edited to Add: Okay, this thread prompted me. I just ordered my MP. Now the excruciating wait begins.

Good luck. I am sure you will enjoy it. I enjoyed it for the 3 days it worked

I’m going to add this because I think it needs to be said: I ordered my MP from Camtec Photo in Montreal. When I called them about the misaligned finder, it was the first time anyone has ever had an issue with a Leica brand new that they had sold, and they are the oldest Leica Camera dealer in Canada. All of my friends who have MPs/M-As have never experienced this issue, and have never looked into seeing if it was a problem (hence why they’ve never posted on a forum). Negative bias is very clear on this forum (I’m not blaming anyone), more so pointing out that we’ll see a lot more that have issues on this forum than those who have not. Unfortunately for a few, some have experienced multiple bad copies.

Edited by 28framelines
  • Like 1

The film counter failed on my MP.  Sent it to DAG to repair, and he went off!  Told me that if this was Mechanical Perfection, why did Leica replace the original metal parts (up to the M5) with cheap plastic bits in all the Ms after that for the film counter.  Apparently he's repaired many..

But absolutely love the camera, and now it works perfectly.  The repair was $170-ish and honestly if it fails again 10, 20 years from now, I'll happily pay for the repair because the rest of the camera is so nice.  It however is a bummer that Leica used higher quality pieces on the older cameras.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@Huss

Like this one ?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

MP

...M3

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

Yup.  And every Leica tech I spoke with was VERY familiar with this flaw.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my MP.  This is just disappointing as there was no reason for this.  Guarantee any Leica MP/MA/M7/M6/M4-P owner would willingly have paid another $20 for this to be a metal part like in the pre M4-2 Leicas.

28 minutes ago, Huss said:

Yup.  And every Leica tech I spoke with was VERY familiar with this flaw.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my MP.  This is just disappointing as there was no reason for this.  Guarantee any Leica MP/MA/M7/M6/M4-P owner would willingly have paid another $20 for this to be a metal part like in the pre M4-2 Leicas.

And yet it's not mentioned once (that I can find, to be fair) in the 15+ year old "I love my MP" thread.

Edited by malligator

I just saw this thread. 

I bought a new M7 in 2005: zero problems whatsoever. Sold it in 2007 for a new MP.

New MP: no problems whatsoever, very smooth and precise feeling, after about 1000 rolls of film I sent it in to Leica for a CLA and mask viewfinder to 28/90, 35, 50.  Came back as new, and smoother as ever. 

In 2015 I ordered a new a la cart MP (I really wanted that 0.58 viewfinder). Received 8 months later: no problems whatsoever. The best camera I ever had (I really like the 0.58 viewfinder). 

I have been running between 100-120 rolls of film per year consistently through these since 2005 (and before that it was another beautiful mechanical camera, the Olympus OM-3). 

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, smkoush said:

I just saw this thread. 

I bought a new M7 in 2005: zero problems whatsoever. Sold it in 2007 for a new MP.

New MP: no problems whatsoever, very smooth and precise feeling, after about 1000 rolls of film I sent it in to Leica for a CLA and mask viewfinder to 28/90, 35, 50.  Came back as new, and smoother as ever. 

In 2015 I ordered a new a la cart MP (I really wanted that 0.58 viewfinder). Received 8 months later: no problems whatsoever. The best camera I ever had (I really like the 0.58 viewfinder). 

I have been running between 100-120 rolls of film per year consistently through these since 2005 (and before that it was another beautiful mechanical camera, the Olympus OM-3). 

I need to work on my "seeing". :) 

I could technically afford that much film per year, but it would be wasted because I just don't see enough great photos to fill 10 rolls a month.

3 minutes ago, malligator said:

I could technically afford that much film per year, but it would be wasted because I just don't see enough great photos to fill 10 rolls a month.

ha! 10 rolls a month, but far from great...I'd be lucky if I get 1-2 ok (rarely great) photos per roll! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, malligator said:

You won't get many good photos if you are shooting little. But film photos are always looks nice :)

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2022 at 6:20 AM, Huss said:

The film counter failed on my MP.  Sent it to DAG to repair, and he went off!  Told me that if this was Mechanical Perfection, why did Leica replace the original metal parts (up to the M5) with cheap plastic bits in all the Ms after that for the film counter.  Apparently he's repaired many..

But absolutely love the camera, and now it works perfectly.  The repair was $170-ish and honestly if it fails again 10, 20 years from now, I'll happily pay for the repair because the rest of the camera is so nice.  It however is a bummer that Leica used higher quality pieces on the older cameras.

Wow!

I have a late 2020 Leica MP production model and the counter also failed me a year later. I only got round to getting it repaired in November and it took until last week for the parts to arrive in Australia for it to be replaced. I thought I was unlucky, but maybe it is a problem.

My repair was free/under warranty.

Edited by maxfairclough