Leica M6 repairing/CLA advice

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everybody,
I need some advice regarding repairing/CLA of an M6.
The camera seems to have shutter capping (It might be partially my fault since I took out the camera at -7 degrees Celsius a whole day, however, after that, I shoot a roll in a normal temperature environment -my house- and everything  was fine, all the images were fine)

So... these are my questions:
1. Do I sent the camera to Leica Camera without prior notice? I mean, do I ship it with DHL and that's it?
I'm asking this because on their service page they do not specify all the types of Leicas they are repairing. I'm assuming M6 is one of them but it's better to play it safe.
2. I want my problem to be fixed and also I want a full CLA (I've noticed some gunk on the winding gears and the low exposure times are not quite accurate). Should I specify the CLA part in the attached document or the CLA of a camera comes by default with the 
repairing process?
3. Please don't laugh on this one but the camera will be sent to: Leica Camera AG, Am Leitz-Park 5, Wetzlar, Germany? I'm asking that just to be sure that I'm sending the camera to the right address.

I realize the questions are a little bit odd but I never sent a camera for a CLA (I usually shoot with two EOS3 cameras-never had a problem).
I bought recently this Leica from Ebay and I want to make it "as new" before I start shooting with it intensively.

Thanks in advance for the answers
Cheers
L.

2 hours ago, loading said:

Hello everybody,
I need some advice regarding repairing/CLA of an M6.
The camera seems to have shutter capping (It might be partially my fault since I took out the camera at -7 degrees Celsius a whole day, however, after that, I shoot a roll in a normal temperature environment -my house- and everything  was fine, all the images were fine)

So... these are my questions:
1. Do I sent the camera to Leica Camera without prior notice? I mean, do I ship it with DHL and that's it?
I'm asking this because on their service page they do not specify all the types of Leicas they are repairing. I'm assuming M6 is one of them but it's better to play it safe.
2. I want my problem to be fixed and also I want a full CLA (I've noticed some gunk on the winding gears and the low exposure times are not quite accurate). Should I specify the CLA part in the attached document or the CLA of a camera comes by default with the 
repairing process?
3. Please don't laugh on this one but the camera will be sent to: Leica Camera AG, Am Leitz-Park 5, Wetzlar, Germany? I'm asking that just to be sure that I'm sending the camera to the right address.

I realize the questions are a little bit odd but I never sent a camera for a CLA (I usually shoot with two EOS3 cameras-never had a problem).
I bought recently this Leica from Ebay and I want to make it "as new" before I start shooting with it intensively.

Thanks in advance for the answers
Cheers
L.

I would send to my local Leica dealer/repairer and then have them send it to Germany.

Shoot a mail to Leica directly, only they will be able to inform you their preferred method of receiving the camera.

Be warned however. Their service will come with quite a price tag - which you may want to inquirer about before submitting your camera.

There are qualified independent repair techs in the EU that will do as good or perhaps even better job, at a lower price (but none are exactly cheap).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, loading said:

Hi and thanks for the answers
I did sent an email to Leica, three weeks ago... no response

Bad service.

But repeat until you get through. You wouldn't want to send anything of value to someone who didn't want to communicate with you:

info@leica-camera.com

customer.care@leica-camera.com

6 hours ago, loading said:

Hi and thanks for the answers
I did sent an email to Leica, three weeks ago... no response

That should give you some idea of the level of customer service you will receive when sending your camera. I'd go the route (and have dine so in the  USA) of always preferring a trusted local expert over the factory. Check the listing of repairperson names in the Collectors and Historica forum. Some of the info is dated, but at least it may give you some useful options. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, spydrxx said:

That should give you some idea of the level of customer service you will receive when sending your camera. I'd go the route (and have dine so in the  USA) of always preferring a trusted local expert over the factory. Check the listing of repairperson names in the Collectors and Historica forum. Some of the info is dated, but at least it may give you some useful options. 

I think we should consider that we are all still dealing with a pandemic so shouldn't expect the same level of service prior to Covid-19.  But the above advice to find a local dealer is prudent, IMHO.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, loading said:

Thanks again for the advices,
I sent an email to Will van Manen, hopefully he will respond soon.

Oh, they'll likely respond quickly. At least that's what they did when I contacted them two weeks ago. They have one of my cameras and a lens as we speak. It is my first time trying them so I can't say anything good or bad about their work, but the communication has been excellent so far.

On 2/25/2021 at 4:20 PM, spydrxx said:

Excellent advice.