Q2 and Q2 monochrome

29 minutes ago, intermediatic said:

I just got the Q2 the other day and we have been buried in a snowstorm since… the dull light and white snow make it Q2 Monochrome weather more than Q2 weather. Hoping to investigate more next week.  

Ok, hope it clears up for you 

I also own both - I love both.  I originally owned a Q, then a QP (which was stolen), then a Q2 Monochrom and then replaced the QP with the Q2.  I was torn between getting the Q2 and an M, but my eye sight isnt awesome so I ultimately decided I needed autofocus.  I love the Q2 and i know you will likely read many different opinions on here, but based on the limited amount of time I have had with it, I feel its superior to the original Q.  Its a beast of a camera and a nice compliment to the Q2 monochrom.  I shoot street quite a bit which I mainly shoot black and white...but I also do a bit of landscape at sunrise / sunset and the Q2 is great in that regard.  I think they compliment each other well.  

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

38 minutes ago, Craig Clark said:

I also own both - I love both.  I originally owned a Q, then a QP (which was stolen), then a Q2 Monochrom and then replaced the QP with the Q2.  I was torn between getting the Q2 and an M, but my eye sight isnt awesome so I ultimately decided I needed autofocus.  I love the Q2 and i know you will likely read many different opinions on here, but based on the limited amount of time I have had with it, I feel its superior to the original Q.  Its a beast of a camera and a nice compliment to the Q2 monochrom.  I shoot street quite a bit which I mainly shoot black and white...but I also do a bit of landscape at sunrise / sunset and the Q2 is great in that regard.  I think they compliment each other well.  

Did you consider getting the CL at all? 

44 minutes ago, JJ99 said:

Did you consider getting the CL at all? 

I didnt to be honest....its crop sensor correct?  I really like full frame and I also suffer really badly from the whole GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) deal...so having a fixed lens does me well not to constantly lust over new glass.  It also forces me to get creative with my framing etc.  Ive been a Q shooter for just over a year now - as previously stated I have owned 4 of them and I really havent found myself in any situation where 28mm wouldnt work.  

19 minutes ago, Craig Clark said:

I didnt to be honest....its crop sensor correct?  I really like full frame and I also suffer really badly from the whole GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) deal...so having a fixed lens does me well not to constantly lust over new glass.  It also forces me to get creative with my framing etc.  Ive been a Q shooter for just over a year now - as previously stated I have owned 4 of them and I really havent found myself in any situation where 28mm wouldnt work.  

Yes, crop sensor, & having only ever used full frame I would be apprehensive too. For me the only other camera I would consider is the SL2, also 47 megapixel, but then I’m going back to lugging around a heavy camera & lenses again - exactly what I’m trying to avoid! 

• Like 1

Pandemic not withstanding I’m a full time professional photographer. What I have found, if I use my “work” cameras, it feels like work and less fun. Thus the Q2 and Q2 Monochrom are my personal/passion cameras (not that I won’t ever put them to work).

I find it liberating and fun to leave the door with one or the other and use just what I have, no lens choices etc. Apart from the size/weight benefit, the lens and sensor have not left me wanting as of yet and I’m extremely happy.

• Like 4

I have the Q2, and the M10 Monochrom. 

I am still tempted by the Q2M but the better call might be for me to get an M10R. 

Or maybe not.  I am very much interested in B&W image making these days...

Edit

This review of the Q2 makes a strong case for the Q2M - perhaps having both is not such an outlandish idea after all...

Edited by Herr Barnack

• 5 months later...
8 hours ago, Richard K said:

So...you dual owners...what’s wrong with converting the colour files in the Q2 to Black &White? (he asks not so innocently 😏)

Only have the Q at the moment, but there is nothing wrong of converting the color to B&W, but the monochrome cameras have less noise at higher ISO's. There are technical reasons related to not having the camera need to convert to color in the first place, but If you don't need the better low light performance you might be happy with converted images from the Q2.  

Myself... I am thinking of adding the Q2M to compliment my Q.

• Like 1

You'd have to consider the whole package - including lens(es). And whether rangefinder focusing/optical viewfinder is really your thing. The Q and the M series are miles apart in concept.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve had the Q2M since it came out, and is my first-choice camera. Then I looked for a colour camera to complement it. I started with the TL2, but couldn’t get on with it. Traded it in for a CL. Couldn’t get on with that...

Now I have the Q2 - Heaven! 

The combination of both with their macro options gives me all I need. I tried mono conversion of Q2 files, but was not happy with them. So I stick to colour on the Q2, b&w on the Q2M, and am very happy to do so. That said, I remain an 80 to 90% b&w shooter. 

• Like 4