Anything wrong with buying used?

Snipe10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

While my M4, M8, M9, and M10 were purchased new, my M2R, Monochrom, S2, and SL were all purchased second hand. The M2R was a trade in on a M4 that I acquired when working part-time at a Leica store. I got the M4 directly from Leica back in 69 as part of a dealer purchase plan. The M8 came from Tamarkin and the Monochrom was a private sale. The rest came from Sean at Camera West/The Leica Store SF. Other than the faulty CCD sensors on the M9/S2 issues, absolutely no complaints. As far as lenses go, I've purchased both new and used with equal success.

As long as you are working with a reputable dealer, you will be fine. As far as the M10P vs the M10R goes, the M10R has some real advantages, but if those advantages add up to $2,500 - $3,000 is something only you can decide.Personally, I'd get the used M10P now and then wait a year or two and get a used M10R. The trade up should only be about $1,000 or so more, giving you a $3,000 to $4,000 savings.

FWIW: Most of the cameras traded in have less than 10,000 shutter activations. That is only about 7% of expected life of the shutter. You will probably wear out long before your Leica does.

• Thanks 1