Sigma fp L on the way?

BlueIn2Red

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I will not be changing. The fp does all I want, and the SL2-S, with no 30 minute limit, can now do the much same (which the SL2 could not when the fp was launched).
I wonder how many fp owners will find the EVF-11 the more interesting of today's announcements? 

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

The same image stabilisation that I think the fp has - certainly other cameras - you sacrifice a bit round the edge of the sensor to gain a stable image. It doesn't involve electro-mechanical movement of the sensor. It has its place in video but less good for stills, IME.

Canon and Sony also offer this type of stabilization in their large format cinema cameras. It's preferable to IBIS for video because it doesn't warp backgrounds, although it doesn't do much for stills. It works the same way as a stabilization effect in video editing software.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I will not be changing. The fp does all I want, and the SL2-S, with no 30 minute limit, can now do the much same (which the SL2 could not when the fp was launched).
I wonder how many fp owners will find the EVF-11 the more interesting of today's announcements? 

Understand. I am excited about the EVF but will order the bundle with FP-L + EVF-11. I've not purchased or used a camera with more than 24mp resolution sensor. With the new sensor, the two cameras have somewhat of a split personality and I can pack two for the size and weight of the SL. Maybe a high resolution sensor + a sharp modern normal lens (and a little sensor cropping from time to time) will be a travel friendly kit with better outdoor usability than the original FP. All in all, I've not yet been disappointed by any of the Sigma L-mount offerings I've purchased and the price is right for some blind faith experimentation. I'd also like to update to the SL-2s and might still, though I am a wanderer and I find I wander more happily and more frequently with the Fp than the Leica SL. 

• Like 3

vor 2 Stunden schrieb LocalHero1953:

For me the EVF-11 is the most interesting of today‘s announcements. I hope the preorders will start soon🙂.  

15 minutes ago, sobkrates said:

For me the EVF-11 is the most interesting of today‘s announcements. I hope the preorders will start soon🙂.  

I watched the B&H video. Looks like you can use the EVF or an external recorder, but not both. That's inconvenient for those who use BM Raw or ProRes Raw.

You can still record cDNG to a USB drive, but then the file sizes are even bigger. I was really hoping for 10-bit 4:2:2 log over HDMI, which is the best compromise of size-vs.-quality for my needs.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yeah, I will be getting the EVF for my FP. Although the cost is the same as a very nice used Fuji - like an XT3.

I am still happy with my original FP. I have seen others in the past say these high pixel sensors cause as many issues as they solve (moire, over sharp etc).

So many wildly different reviews of the FP-L. I think some albeit experienced reviewers just don't get it.

Gerald Undone saying the FP-L is useless in every regard. He claims even video CDNG looks terrible when graded.

I must say I'm shooting 10bit 4K on my FP and it is 1) a breeze to grade and 2) looks sharp, with very nice colour when uploaded on Youtube.

The FP for me is like an old manual film camera, without the hassle of developing and scanning. It hasn't held me back on stills at all, and the pictures look fantastic. All this talk about eye detection and hunting focus, it doesn't bother me. Nor does the lack of Ibis and Log video formats.

• Like 1

"The 61MP sensor isn't as well suited to video as the existing 24MP chip just draws attention to the camera's lack of mechanical shutter. The sensor reads out very slowly (around 1/10th of a second in stills mode), which means the results are very prone to rolling shutter. This ends up having an impact on a lot of what you might want to do with the camera and is likely to end up restricting the ways in which the fp L can be used (you'll see a LOT of banding at fast shutter speeds under any artificial light)."

More expensive and more limited than the fp, I really don't understand this camera, amongst the many little issues, I would have still been very interesting without this major flaw or at least they could have tried to choose a sensor that is more usable this way.

I look forward to some hands on experience with the new sensor. I've steered away from large sensors in the past. It's a lot of file size that I rarely require with the additional challenges of operation speed, smaller pixels = higher noise and all the other known issues. And the optical low pass filter does not excite me either. That said, sensor development is a moving train and I am very curious to see how Sigma has juggled the options in designing and manufacturing this updated model. I've been very impressed with their product introductions since the release of the original fp and hope the new version continues with a similar inspiration. I like that it builds on the existing fp - a camera whose form and operation I've come to enjoy very much - without being a replacement for a two year old model. In two years I have yet to slide the switch over the CINE... I am a still shooter only. The new EVF addresses a glaring limitation in the original design (hopefully it will satisfy in use). The electronic shutter only is another factor - especially if you pick up the camera and shoot quickly indoors without paying attention to your shutter speed. But the silence is great and I've learned to anticipate and work around it as well as I can.  Overall, I've really enjoyed the fp for its modular form, tiny size and for the image quality and noise handling which are among the best in any camera I have used. In addition, I can mount any lens in my lifelong accumulation of camera optics which makes it a bit of an electronic Rosetta stone to lenses past and present. I've preordered the fp-L from B&H so more thoughts down the road...

• Like 3

The battle of the bands...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

The CineD review is interesting. It's from a film maker's perspective, and includes a short documentary (shot with the fp-L of course):

https://www.cined.com/sigma-fp-l-review-and-sample-footage/

He goes into technical details. It's a camera that you need to understand before you can get the best out of it.

I saw the Gerald Undone review. Right-off the bat he talks about "market positioning," so you know it's told from a salesman's perspective. He didn't have access to the setup information that CineD had, so that's an own-goal by Sigma's marketing department. I can understand why he hates it. It's a salesman's nightmare: expensive and narrow-focused.

The huge difference between the two reviews is that G.U. waves his arm in from of the camera, declares the AF terrible, and goes from there. CineD tries to understand the camera and creates a solid documentary. I know which one I would rather work with on a shoot...

Some of the other reviews are disappointed that it's not a point-and-shoot, as-if we don't already have enough of those.

Overall, it's going to be one of those "love it or hate it" cameras. It won't make you into a great filmmaker overnight, but it will appeal to shooters that are well past the beginner stage.

Also, it will make a great walkaround camera with the small Sigma lenses, or the Panasonic 20-60. Sure, you might see some banding around cheap LEDs, but other than that it's a tiny package that takes 60MP stills and cinema-quality video, and weighs under a kilo with a lens and small mic. It should be awesome with the TL lenses too, can't wait to see that footage.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Alan Friedman said:

I look forward to some hands on experience with the new sensor. I've steered away from large sensors in the past. It's a lot of file size that I rarely require with the additional challenges of operation speed, smaller pixels = higher noise and all the other known issues. And the optical low pass filter does not excite me either. That said, sensor development is a moving train and I am very curious to see how Sigma has juggled the options in designing and manufacturing this updated model. I've been very impressed with their product introductions since the release of the original fp and hope the new version continues with a similar inspiration. I like that it builds on the existing fp - a camera whose form and operation I've come to enjoy very much - without being a replacement for a two year old model. In two years I have yet to slide the switch over the CINE... I am a still shooter only. The new EVF addresses a glaring limitation in the original design (hopefully it will satisfy in use). The electronic shutter only is another factor - especially if you pick up the camera and shoot quickly indoors without paying attention to your shutter speed. But the silence is great and I've learned to anticipate and work around it as well as I can.  Overall, I've really enjoyed the fp for its modular form, tiny size and for the image quality and noise handling which are among the best in any camera I have used. In addition, I can mount any lens in my lifelong accumulation of camera optics which makes it a bit of an electronic Rosetta stone to lenses past and present. I've preordered the fp-L from B&H so more thoughts down the road...

Looking forward to your photos, Alan. Those of yours with the "classic" fp are marvellous, and I've come to believe that the fp produces some of the finest photos, not only in the L mount world, but the entire FF universe. I have no idea why I feel that way, but recurrently that's my impression. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ill be wait for more testing before making the switch to the fpL. Reviewers were saying the higher mp count reduces low light capability and increases rolling shutter?? Geralds review was looking from vlogging than cine perspective. Though the fp has been used as a compact ed(video)c. A few on youtube make home cinematics to make of their family, which i find is appealing. I mean who would want to lug around a huge slr sized mirrorless to make quality 12bit home movies on the go. Waiting for crimson engines review.

The fp already had the quality and rendering i had been looking for. It was just missing the evf to make it more than a point and shoot /cine camera.  I just wished the evf had been implemented less 'clunky'. The fp + evf is longer / looks bulkier than the leica m with the visoflex. Hopefully more iterations of the fp line and evf to come. Maybe more slimmer evf?? The leica X size would have been perfect for the fp with evf.

Sigma is on the right track i feel in that consumers are wanting FF capability/quality in compact form. Still hoping one day the fp line will someday replace wholly my leica.

Edited by cboy
  • Like 1

It's strange to me that most of the popular reviewers can't find any good points on the camera. I think price is one of their issues.

I got my original FP from someone who gave up on it and wanted it sold. Maybe the OG FP will come down more in price now the FP-L has been revealed.

I won't be buying the FP-L.

I have made a lot of videos on my FP and had no issues. the quality is fantastic. I have shot a lot of stills. It is fun to use and the pictures are lovely quality - colour and sharpness.

The reviewers want to compare the FP and FP-L to Sony. But I have no desire to get into the Sony system.

Edited by Chris W

Yes i liked the imagequality of the first FP.  But it lacked a lot of features to become my number one camera.
And now 3000€ for a compact camera is too much because it has still too many restrictions.
It has now an evf but still no mechanical shutter or global shutter sensor.
For 3000€ i expect a more complete camera...

This camera has only just appeared on my radar. I’ve been looking for a higher resolution camera for larger prints. The form factor of the FP with this new viewfinder would suit me well.

My Q and SL are up for sale, I’ll replace with the FP L to accompany the M10.

On 3/26/2021 at 12:44 PM, Alan Friedman said:

I look forward to your insights when you receive your fp L .  Thanks for sharing your fp experiences.  

• Like 1