Sigma fp L on the way?

BlueIn2Red

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The evf looks a bit bulkier than i was expecting for an aesthetic like the fp, which is what drew me into the system. Though i praise sigma for taking heed of consumers requesting an evf.

I was hoping the fp was to replace my leica lol. I prefer the output from the fp more than my leica m, but the user experience at least from a stills perspective is lacking compared to my digital leica. The holy grail for me would me a digital leica cl...That is a proper FF thats reminiscent to the film leica cl.

If this evf is as good as what im hoping then i might look into getting a fp again. Lets hope is backward compatible...

6 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

This EVF has no hotshoe, so it is not clear how you add one to the fp L. I use the hotshoe module as way to mount a wireless mic receiver and SSD holder. You can't just add the hotshoe module outboard of the EVF module - the bolt holes are in different places. Maybe they'll make a new hotshoe module to bolt on.....somewhere.  (I quite like Sigma's Heath Robinson approach to cameras).

The whole thing begs the question: why didn't they think of an EVF module for the original fp, and save themselves the R&D costs and confusion of two (perhaps) similar bodies.

You may need to get a cage to add a "cold-shoe" connector. The Smallrig cage avoids that area of the fp, so it should still work.

I think the fp reached a different, and bigger, audience from what Sigma expected. The initial PR material was all about professional cinema, with barely a mention of stills. It must have been a surprise (a pleasant surprise) that it did well in the advanced-amateur market.

That's probably why it didn't have an external EVF: they didn't think they would sell enough to cover development costs. Leica licensed an Olympus add-on EVF for the M240, perhaps for the same reason.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BernardC said:

You may need to get a cage to add a "cold-shoe" connector. The Smallrig cage avoids that area of the fp, so it should still work.

I think the fp reached a different, and bigger, audience from what Sigma expected. The initial PR material was all about professional cinema, with barely a mention of stills. It must have been a surprise (a pleasant surprise) that it did well in the advanced-amateur market.

That's probably why it didn't have an external EVF: they didn't think they would sell enough to cover development costs. Leica licensed an Olympus add-on EVF for the M240, perhaps for the same reason.

You may be right about cold shoe alternatives, but I'd expect the sort of advanced amateur wanting an EVF might also want to use flash with a hot shoe. 

• Like 1

There will be most likely a new cage to be rolled out for the new fp-L to accommodate for the evf so an extra cold shoe connection shouldnt be a problem. Sigma gave out their 3d model of the fp for third party manufacturer to develop third party accessories. It was even accessible to consumers to so they can custom 3d print accessories. Itll be likely the same for the fp-l.

If the fp-l is the same dimensions as the fp then the existing cages will likely work with the evf since cages already accommodate the existing cold shoe mount accessory. 

Edited by cboy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looks like EVF-11 should also be compatible with original fp. 
It is only an HDMI tiny external monitor, powered through USB-C. 

The rumoured price is steep 570€ without tax. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

9 hours ago, nicci78 said:

This is what I am hoping - that it is backwards compatible with original FP as well..

19 hours ago, nicci78 said:

I do hope it is so i can do away with my leica m. The fp renders better than the leica m and is more versatile. Ill keep my leica glass though. 😄

Unfortunately it seems the FP-L is more video orientated. 
But tomorrow we will know the final specs. I think the missing mechanical shutter, tilt display and missing IBIS makes it not really attractive for stills.
I find with 60 MP an IBIS is really advised…
But the electronic shutter can upgrade my cat to a pitbull!

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

14 hours ago, hillavoider said:

phase detect AF would be nice on this 

cannot imagine how ibis could fit in 

That's the problem. Sigma could add a ton of features, but then the body would get bigger and you would end-up with a Panasonic-style camera.

The fp's AF is OK. It's not the type of camera you use hand-held with a 400mm. It works OK with the small Sigma primes. Again, they could make it faster, but that path might lead to more processing power, a bigger battery, etc. Lots of cameras already do that, and they aren't as compact as the fp.

That's not to say that the usual generational improvements won't happen, of course.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, helged said:

Odd that they claim that a 60MP sensor will replace Foveon. The fp doesn't have a Foveon sensor.

Sigma's logic for using so much over-sampling must be the same as Blackmagic and their 12K sensor. You can get a lot of artifacts when re-sampling 4K DCI (4096 pixels wide, 1.85:1 aspect ratio) to UHD (3840 pixels wide, 16:9 aspect). That's just over 6% difference, but you need a bigger difference to resample cleanly.

If this is the sensor they will offer (it's just a rumor for now), it will be interesting to find-out how they deal with raw and log. Will they offer a 4K raw feed? It would be resampled, of course, but their current full-frame raw files are also resampled (as are raw files from many other manufacturers).

I hope they finally offer 10-bit log. Raw is good for impressing the neighbours, but log is better for most film work.

On 3/22/2021 at 5:51 AM, verwackelt said:

But tomorrow we will know the final specs. I think the missing mechanical shutter, tilt display and missing IBIS makes it not really attractive for stills.

Just now, Mick H said:

On 3/22/2021 at 5:51 AM, verwackelt said:

This is really funny and strange...

3 hours ago, verwackelt said:

But that is the typical downside of electronic shutter and fast objects… ;)

Could be up- and downsides, pending on the eyes that see ;). But the flying ability of bees could be strongly reduced (if electronic shutter was reality...):

Edited by helged
  • Like 1