Sigma fp L on the way?

BlueIn2Red

On 2/21/2021 at 3:30 AM, BlueIn2Red said:

I wonder if I'm the only person that uses the fp solely for stills photography? I have an SL2, but I find myself using the fp much more, both for its size and handling (which I actually really like, with a grip and the "viewfinder" especially), but also image quality, which I think is very underrated.

I don't own an fp (I shoot almost only film), but I follow this thread because I'm amazed by the image quality of the camera. I, too, prefer it to the SL2's photos, even perhaps to the M10's, which I do I have. A Sigma is almost certainly in my future.

I am also one who plans on using a fp for stills. I just received my fp and I am playing with it but I have been using it for a day and I am quite impressed with the color space right out of the camera. No pic's worth showing at this time, I have a grip coming and I have found out that I will need the Sigma viewfinder/loupe so that will be the next item I order. I have a friend that has sl2's and a fp and he also says the color is better and the low light is better, time will tell. I have a number of M lenses and older screw mt lenses I will be playing with plus a couple of Sigma lenses 15, 20,50macro, and a 105 macro I also just got a MC-21 for them. Wish me luck!

Edited by agfa100
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From the Nokoshita twitter feed.

Looks like the Sigma fp L will be able to take a new EVF accessory. I suspect it's a new version of the body because the old one couldn't handle this EVF as an attachment. 

Difficult to tell what the VC-07A is though. Looks like an eyecup of some sort.

Edited by LocalHero1953

But it looks more like a prototype that the designer had not have in their department yet.
Why ends it at the lower thirds of the body? would´nt it be much better to end flush with the undersite of the body?
I can see no mechanical shutter and better grip either.
Hmmmm..... have to wait for official pictures and specs.
Any price published?

Edited by verwackelt

20 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

From the Nokoshita twitter feed.

Looks like the Sigma fp L will be able to take a new EVF accessory. I suspect it's a new version of the body because the old one couldn't handle this EVF as an attachment. 

Difficult to tell what the VC-07A is though. Looks like an eyecup of some sort.

Thanks for sharing, looks great to me. I was hoping I could move my custom made hand grip to the new body... seems hopeful.

Looks like it works off the camera's HDMI plug. They don't show the other side, but I imagine there are HDMI and USB plugs on the VF. The two extra pins must be power (there are no power pins in HDMI).

I will probably upgrade, especially if they support 10-bit log over HDMI.

Looks like the fp L is the same body as the fp, so that confirms no IBIS, which will mean a no for me if it really is a significantly higher resolution sensor (which I don't want anyway to be honest). On the positive side, looks like the new EVF will work with the original fp (form factor wise at least).

11 hours ago, verwackelt said:

But it looks more like a prototype that the designer had not have in their department yet.
Why ends it at the lower thirds of the body? would´nt it be much better to end flush with the undersite of the body?

Because Sigma.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

From the look of the EVF connector it will not be backwards compatible - the current fp has a multipin socket used by the hotshoe module - unless the two pins in the EVF module line up with the multipin socket - which would be practical if a bit clunky. 

This EVF has no hotshoe, so it is not clear how you add one to the fp L. I use the hotshoe module as way to mount a wireless mic receiver and SSD holder. You can't just add the hotshoe module outboard of the EVF module - the bolt holes are in different places. Maybe they'll make a new hotshoe module to bolt on.....somewhere.  (I quite like Sigma's Heath Robinson approach to cameras).

The whole thing begs the question: why didn't they think of an EVF module for the original fp, and save themselves the R&D costs and confusion of two (perhaps) similar bodies.

I use the fp on a tripod for video, and my plans for mobile use in future involve an external monitor, so this is probably not for me. It looks intended to attract stills shooters....who don't use flash. 

Edited by LocalHero1953

vor 1 Stunde schrieb beewee:

Because Sigma.

Right ;)
Meanwhile i learned it woul cover a socket for headphoe or microphone. But it would be nicer if they had found a way to led the plug through the full height evf instead of shorten it so ugly

12 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

From the look of the EVF connector it will not be backwards compatible - the current fp has a multipin socket used by the hotshoe module - unless the two pins in the EVF module line up with the multipin socket - which would be practical if a bit clunky. 

Not sure why you see it like that - it looks instead to me like it all lines up perfectly. USB-C, HDMI and the multipin thing.

1 minute ago, BlueIn2Red said:

Not sure why you see it like that - it looks instead to me like it all lines up perfectly. USB-C, HDMI and the multipin thing.

Well, we'll see - we're just interpreting a few photos. The fp socket and hotshoe module have six pins. As far as I can tell from the images all the connectors on the EVF module line up with the fp, but it wouldn't be design elegance, and that could be just because it was easier than redesigning the fp body shell entirely (the fp 6-pin socket is set in a removable cover). 

If they're backwards compatible it then begs the question - how is the fp L different from the fp? We'll find out next week.

All the rumors on the www predicted a mechanical shutter and IBIS.
After seeing the pictures I fear that this is not true. I can't see a ms and the body doesn't seem to have gotten any bigger, so I suspect no IBIS ...
But next week we will probably know more ...