Panasonic S Pro 16-35mm f/4

stevegaskin

I have used this lens on an SL and on Panasonic S1R, but not on the SL2. The lens performs superbly and there is no reason to assume that the SL2 is any different.

Optical quality is excellent, and you will be happy with a much lower weight if you are used to carrying a 24-90 around. 

25 minutes ago, Ivar B said:

I have used this lens on an SL and on Panasonic S1R, but not on the SL2. The lens performs superbly and there is no reason to assume that the SL2 is any different.

Optical quality is excellent, and you will be happy with a much lower weight if you are used to carrying a 24-90 around. 

Thanks Ivar that's good to hear. As much as would like to stick with Leica lenses, for the about of use I might get the pricing of the Panasonic in comparison is easier - isa on the pocket.  I was also considering the Sigma 12-24, but I think 16-35 will be a more versatile focal range and will compliment the 24-90.  

2 minutes ago, stevegaskin said:

Thanks Ivar that's good to hear. As much as would like to stick with Leica lenses, for the about of use I might get the pricing of the Panasonic in comparison is easier - isa on the pocket.  I was also considering the Sigma 12-24, but I think 16-35 will be a more versatile focal range and will compliment the 24-90.  

This was exactly my judgement as well. The Leica 16-35 is no doubt a super lens, but very very expensive. When I got the Panasonic I did some testphotos just walking around, and results are excellent. I cannot at all see that anyone should not be satisfied with the results. It is super sharp with good contrast, little distortion and good resistance to flare. We need to accept that Leica is not the only one capable of producing excellent lenses. I have not tried the Sigma Art lens, but I would expect that 16-35 will be more versatile than 12-24. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, am contemplating the Pano S Pro 16-35.  In doing my research I read a review that had two identical photos taken with said lens--one without in-camera correction by the Panasonic camera, the other with camera correction.  The reduction in distortion at 16mm was evident.

Does any one know if the SL2 also does in-camera correction of the S Pro lens?  If so, is it automatic or do I need to set something in a menu?

Thanks in advance.

25 minutes ago, rjsphd said:

I, too, am contemplating the Pano S Pro 16-35.  In doing my research I read a review that had two identical photos taken with said lens--one without in-camera correction by the Panasonic camera, the other with camera correction.  The reduction in distortion at 16mm was evident.

Does any one know if the SL2 also does in-camera correction of the S Pro lens?  If so, is it automatic or do I need to set something in a menu?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, "I bit the bullet" and bought the Pro 16-35 and are pleased with it.   I took the attached images a couple of weeks ago which was my first trip out with the lens.  I particularly wanted to try shots into the sun to see how it coped and I think it's pretty good.  The lens is well made and much more lightweight than the 24-90 and I like the focal range.  There's no switches for IS I assume the SL2 body deals with this.  The Leica 24-90 is a great lens for most situations, but for super-wide shots at a third of the price of the Leica equivalent, I'm happy with the Panasonic.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, rjsphd said:

Thanks in advance.

My understanding is that ‘official’ L-mount alliance lenses from Panasonic/Leica/Sigma do communicate the distortion parameters to the body. For DNG shooting, the parameters are saved in the file metadata so that your post processing software such as Lightroom can perform the correction. For on-body corrections, this is applied to the EVF and video capture in realtime as well as camera generated jpeg images.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, rjsphd said:

Thanks for the explanation.  Funny: Leica SL lenses do no register for lens correction in in LrC, so I am wondering if I can get the Panosonic to.

I’m not sure if there is a specific group of SL lenses you’re referring to but from what I understand, the SL summicron primes are pretty much free of distortion so they do not send those parameters.

As I use ultra wide focal lengths not so often, I decided against the Leica SL 16-35 (having the SL 24-90). My choice was between the Sigma 2.8/14-24 DG DN Art and the Lumix S-Pro 4/16-35. Using NDs and ND Grads quite often, the final decision was easy towards the Lumix 4/16-35 als the Sigma can be used be very large filters only.

First of all, I had bad luck getting a strongly decentered Lumix giving me around 20% of the pictures right side very unsharp at infinity. In the end, that turned into good luck as I have got the lens repaired and perfectly calibrated in the German repair center of Panasonic.

It now comes very close to my Leica SL 24-90 in resolution and colors. The chromatic aberration is controlled very well. There is one point for landscape pictures worth to be mentioned. Between 16 and around 20 mm focal length the plane of focus is not even but turning to the front in the corners. That is nice in the lower corners but needs to be controlled if you have e.g. tree branches in the upper corners. In that case, I focus manually a bit more towards the background to get these upper corners in focus. Diffraction starts around f9 with the SL2.

Attached is one my pictures with the SL2 and the Lumix 16-35 - overall, highly recommended.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2