Minimum shutter speed Q2

Why don't you just go to manual exposure? - that should give more control. If you have a fixed aperture set and block the camera from using longer shutterspeeds or higher ISO you will underexpose the image, so the camera will not do that.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BPinLA said:

Is it possible to set minimum shutter speed on the Q2? I shoot primarily in Aperture Priority and would like to control a minimum shutter speed while keeping IOS fixed. 

Thanks. 

I have to ask - what's IOS? (not apple system I assume)

Are you looking for keeping the speed to go too low or the opposite? Manual mode as Jaapv says will give you more control, and keeping the iso in auto too. I don't think the Q can block iso or speed values in the UI...

vor 30 Minuten schrieb BPinLA:

Is it possible to set minimum shutter speed on the Q2? I shoot primarily in Aperture Priority and would like to control a minimum shutter speed while keeping IOS fixed. 

Not sure what you wanna do;
on some cameras you can set minimum shutter speed, if the current program would underexpose then it cranks up either ISO, aperture or shutter speed.
In your case with aperture priorority the program mode will crank up ISO if ISO Auto is enabled and/or lower exposure time to keep the photo right exposed

You can set maximum exposure speed in the ISO Auto and that should modify how auto ISO behaves, however i'm not sure if max exposure time means high or low value.
You may do a few tests with this value to see if that solves your issue, you find it in the menu under Auto-Iso Settings

As JaapV wrote, the best control would be to run the camera in fully manual mode and set the desired ISO value as you wish and expose manually.

Chris

Edited by PhotoCruiser
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry if my question wasn't clear. I want to know if the Q2 will allow me to set a minimum shutter speed (while controlling ISO).

If so, the camera would warn/notify if my aperture did not allow the camera to take a photo without opening up the aperture further. 

I've never used auto ISO...so maybe I need to experiment with it. 

Based on responses (thank you all!) it seems the Q2 does not simply allow control of a minimum shutter speed?

vor 2 Minuten schrieb BPinLA:

I've never used auto ISO...so maybe I need to experiment with it. 

There is basically nothing wrong with ISO auto and limited to 800 as in a correct exposed photo the difference is neglectable.
If you go to 1600 or higher then some noise will obviously appear, but i feel that it's not particularly bad.

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am having issues with this at the moment.

Indeed the Q2 allows you to set AUTO ISO and set certain paramenters. In my case I tried to set the auto ISO at a maximum of 3200, and the shutter speed at a Minimum of 1/250 to freeze the images. Then I shoot in aperture mode.

Problem is, if I intentionally want to underexpose a shoot, the camera won’t let me and will drop the shutter speed below my setting, adding motion blur.

I don’t understand what’s the point of having an option to set a minimum shutter speed if later the camera won’t let you underexpose and will change it ...

this is becoming a bit fustrating in low light situations.

i like to shoot using the viewfinder with no info on it, just the image, and I don’t realise the camera changed the shutter speed until is too late and the picture has been taken.

i know shooting in Manual solves the problem, but then, why do we need to have that option is does not work?

cheers

With all my respect, that does not make sense. 

There are plenty of ocasions where underexposing is absolutelly necessary to protect your highlight, since bringing up a shadow on post is much easier than saving burnt overexposed highlights. 

if a picture is wasted or not its a very subjective matter. Think is if you intentionally set a minimum speed, camera should follow what you set, not asume that you are wrongly underexposing without noticing.

Otherwise, what is the point to setting a minimum? 

and lastly, I would have preferred you would not have closed my question in the other tread, since is a new topic, not exactly the same than this one. I could just delete this comment and keep the other one.

have a good day

• Like 1

It makes perfect sense as you are shooting with Auto settings and the camera does not know your artistic intentions.

To alter such things you will need to address how you meter the scene with the camera or take more manual control. You can, in many setups, use exposure compensation (set on thumb wheel as standard). What you cannot expect is the camera to know your thoughts. 
Every manufacturer does their own thing and Leica is perhaps less “bells and whistles “ and more purity but the way they do things is not silly and it’s easy to work with the system.

9 hours ago, Edgar Hong Kong said:

With all my respect, that does not make sense. 

There are plenty of ocasions where underexposing is absolutelly necessary to protect your highlight, since bringing up a shadow on post is much easier than saving burnt overexposed highlights. 

if a picture is wasted or not its a very subjective matter. Think is if you intentionally set a minimum speed, camera should follow what you set, not asume that you are wrongly underexposing without noticing.

Otherwise, what is the point to setting a minimum? 

and lastly, I would have preferred you would not have closed my question in the other tread, since is a new topic, not exactly the same than this one. I could just delete this comment and keep the other one.

have a good day

The point of AutoISO, is that it will try and give the correct exposure, based on your Auto settings, where it CAN. If it cant, then it will adjust accordingly. It works this way in other camera systems I have used, so it isnt unusual. I understand why you dont want it to work that way, but equally, there are people who do. As has been pointed out to you, the solution, if you want artistic control, is to use manual - which tends to be the case for a lot of artistic control. The way it currently works is very sensible, if you care to stand back and think about it.

Edited by Chris_H

Can't you just point the camera at the highlights, expose for them by half pressing the shutter button, hold the button half-pressed to lock exposure, recompose, then press the button fully for the capture?

You can also use the AE-Lock function too I guess, but a bit fiddly on the Q2 to my liking.