Shutter Speed Rule with S3

stump4545

3 hours ago, stump4545 said:

Being that the S3 has 64mp, is there a shutter speed rule with the S3 like 2x focal length or should be 3x focal length to the most out of the S3?

Any thoughts if one could get away with 100mm at 1/125sec?

If you are careful, around 1/100 s will work with the S100. Not always, but more often than not. To reduce the chances for camera-blur, take a few shots. Works fine for static subjects. For non-static subjects, 2x focal length is my rule-of-thumb. With S3, and as long as you don't lift the shadows too much in lightroon/C1, you can go to ISO3200 in most cases. 

I was shooting outside yesterday, with the 70 and 45 CS and a strobe, in very cold weather. A lot of the images shot at 1/125 were not critically sharp where lit mostly with ambient light (of course pin sharp where the strobe light fell). Much higher percentage were good at 1/250. As a separate issue, very tricky to focus at wide open aperture....sometimes I feel that I have much lower hit ratio with the S3 than I had with the S007, with the same lenses. The SL2 is a revelation in comparison - IBIS plus precise on sensor spot focusing (but still missing HSS with major strobe brands..grrrr). But I am digressing. With the S100, my slowest speed is 1/250.

• Like 2

People don't print they just look at their screen at 100% so then it DOES increase. 😆

On 11/14/2020 at 10:58 PM, SrMi said:

- The safe-handholding shutter-speed rule depends on the photographer.

- The safe-handholding shutter-speed does not increase with increased resolution if the output size (print, shared JPEG) is the same.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As I am an exhibition printer, I should be one to agree with you, but I actually find the reductiveness of these arguments to be silly. There is more to a camera than how big you can print the files, and no, not all cameras look the same on the web or even on instagram. There are noticeable and real differences in color, tonality and the ways that lenses draws, particularly across different formats. Leaving aside the fact that photos are also heavily influenced by the cameras themselves -- their ergonomics, ability to help or hinder a photographer's vision, their size, available lens choices and so on. I don't need to go to an exhibition with 100cm high prints to know that Stephen Shore didn't use an iphone to shoot Uncommon Places. If you need convincing, go look at his instagram and look at the pictures he has made on his phone, versus the ones shot on 8x10. They certainly look different than the iphone images, no matter what the size. 

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Like 3