Is the FLE's hood a little asymmetric?

malligator

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just got a new FLE and either the entire hood is turned a little counterclockwise or it's just a little asymmetric with the top (and maybe bottom) edges sloping a little from the VF side to the shutter release side. I've looked at it a million times and I can't tell which it is.

The lens is mounted correctly and the hood is definitely screwed down all the way. The hood is either a little cockeyed, asymmetric, or it's an optical illusion due to all the different lines and curves of the camera and lens.

1 hour ago, malligator said:

I just got a new FLE and either the entire hood is turned a little counterclockwise or it's just a little asymmetric with the top (and maybe bottom) edges sloping a little from the VF side to the shutter release side. I've looked at it a million times and I can't tell which it is.

The lens is mounted correctly and the hood is definitely screwed down all the way. The hood is either a little cockeyed, asymmetric, or it's an optical illusion due to all the different lines and curves of the camera and lens.

Are you talking about the 35mm..? Are you sure it has 'clicked' home? Answer to question is 'no'.

On a flat/plane surface easy to check if bottom edge parallel to surface (assuming you are talking about Summilux 35mm and it is completely mounted) .

Edited by pedaes

Do you mean this?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'm almost certain it's my eyes playing tricks on me. When I cover the top half of the hood (looking at the lens/camera from the front) I can see that the bottom is level. When I uncover it everything goes wonky again. My eyes are keying off something that's making things look slanted.

I think it's that line that is on the release side, but not on the VF side.

https://static.bhphoto.com/images/multiple_images/images500x500/1410865210_IMG_424604.jpg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Surely this is a visual quirk resulting from the cutout in the top-right corner of the hood (viewed from the front)? 

I have the same style hood on my 28 Elmarit asph, but it looks square to me on a cursory examination.

I’ve learnt to avoid very close, detailed inspections of the type described by the OP since I know I will then tend to obsess over the perceived, inconsequential deviation from my impression of symmetry or perfection. 

In other words, forget about it! Life is too short to waste time on such matters. :)

Edited by Mute-on
  • Like 2