Bracketing with Fotos

rramesh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Using Fotos with a M10-P.

• Click gear icon to enter drive mode on Fotos
  • Select bracketing 
  • Ensured bracketing is also enabled on camera
  • When shutter is pressed on Fotos, only one shot is taken

Should it not take the number of exposures defined for bracketing? Am I missing something?

Software structure matters.  I have not written code for this environment, but I was told by someone who does know firmware that Fotos sends a structured message to a server module which sits on the camera and checks everything for safety and correctness before setting the camera into some new state.  Apparently the drive menu in Fotos has gotten to the point where it can set the camera to be ready to take a bracket, but doesn't know how to offer the next level down in the menu system for you to load the number of shots.  And with some models, when you set up something complex, and then press the shutter, all in Fotos, the server objects, resets the camera to single shot, and then takes that single shot, leaving the camera back where you started.  The annoying things that Fotos does in the L-mount cameras, like shifting into program (P) mode or messing with the way you want to do autofocus, are also defaults that the server module takes to make it easier for Fotos to work.  Some of this is improving as newer releases of Fotos come out.

On 9/23/2020 at 5:04 AM, rramesh said:

Using Fotos with a M10-P.

• Click gear icon to enter drive mode on Fotos
  • Select bracketing 
  • Ensured bracketing is also enabled on camera
  • When shutter is pressed on Fotos, only one shot is taken

Should it not take the number of exposures defined for bracketing? Am I missing something?

It certainly works this way in the M 240. I can set either 3 or 5 bracketed shots, and then the selected amount of photos is taken in a very short interval. Photos are not automatically overlaid in camera but saved as selected DNG and/or JPG files. HDR processing needs to be done afterwards in post-processing software. 

Other cameras automatically superimpose the bracketed photos that it might appear as if only one single photo was taken. Not sure if this is the case with the M10. The bracketed photos might still be saved separately on the card in addition to the superimposed shot. 

Edited by Martin B

• 3 weeks later...

It works that way on the camera in several M's, but not when you try to initiate things from Fotos.  And Fotos doesn't have the ability to connect to an M240.  I think there may be some problem that can occur when you initiate a sequence of events from Fotos' interface module, and then try to do something else before the first sequence has finished.  Fotos doesn't seem to have a way of asking the camera "are you finished and ready for the next request?"  For video it can say "start" and "stop":  That ought to extend to continuous shooting, as well.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

On 10/20/2020 at 5:38 AM, scott kirkpatrick said:

It works that way on the camera in several M's, but not when you try to initiate things from Fotos.  And Fotos doesn't have the ability to connect to an M240.  I think there may be some problem that can occur when you initiate a sequence of events from Fotos' interface module, and then try to do something else before the first sequence has finished.  Fotos doesn't seem to have a way of asking the camera "are you finished and ready for the next request?"  For video it can say "start" and "stop":  That ought to extend to continuous shooting, as well.

I have never used Fotos, didn't even know that this program works in combination with the M 240 since the camera has no wireless connection/image transfer option. So maybe Fotos can then only be used to store photos on a cellphone or iPad? I am not sure. I only read that it is now free and no longer charged for by Leica.