Leica CL and Leica Q - Using one more than the other

bgb

10 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

That is true. In fact I also often carry several cameras, though one camera with one zoom or one standard lens could be enough.

I'm the exact opposite. I almost never carry more than one camera, and almost never carry more than one or two lenses, never carry a zoom lens. The sole requirement is that the camera and lens I'm carrying at any given time has to be what I like/need at that time. 

I'd hate to be a manufacturer with such a quirky and diverse customer base. :) 

G

• Haha 1

On 9/4/2020 at 7:01 AM, ramarren said:

I'm the exact opposite. I almost never carry more than one camera, and almost never carry more than one or two lenses, never carry a zoom lens. The sole requirement is that the camera and lens I'm carrying at any given time has to be what I like/need at that time. 

I'd hate to be a manufacturer with such a quirky and diverse customer base. :) 

G

This is very personal. You are definitely special. I have done the same when I was learning and taking special assignment. 

But for most people and real life photography, such as traveling or wedding or just for fun, it hardly makes sense to have unnecessary restrictions. 

On 9/4/2020 at 4:01 PM, ramarren said:

How do you manage that when out shooting? You see a tele shot and you have a wideangle and possibly 50 with you - do you cycle home to switch lenses? :p

6 hours ago, jaapv said:

How do you manage that when out shooting? You see a tele shot and you have a wideangle and possibly 50 with you - do you cycle home to switch lenses? :p

No. I look for shots that the equipment I'm carrying can work. I often have seen a potential set of shots on an earlier ride and carry what I think will handle them for a given ride, since I ride the same routes fairly frequently. 

There are an infinite number of photographic opportunities out there. I've long ago realized that trying to be ready to capture any of them at all times is absurd, and content myself with being ready to capture some of them at specific times. And that it's equally absurd to think that anyone will capture all of them, ever.  :D 

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, jaapv said:

That's true, I limit myself when just out of the house etc, but when one or (many) more overnights are involved I do carry more.

When traveling, I carry up to three lenses. I'll carry a second camera if I have a specific goal in mind and I want to work on it with a camera that is completely different from my usual carry ... For instance, if I'm carrying the CL and two lenses for my usual shooting, I might carry a Polaroid SX-70 or a Fuji GS645S Wide 60 for some specific photographic ideas. And of course, what I have in mind for those alternative cameras influences what lenses I pick for the CL. Et cetera. 

Traveling is not the same as going out for a pointed photo session, where I might have several different pointed intents for a particular shoot at a particular and sometime infrequently visited location. That's why I have a car with a big trunk for such occasions... LOL! 

G

Photography is for making money or making fun, or both. While the camera is a tool, it is very often also part of the goal. Playing camera itself can be the goal too. 

In the past I have seen people carrying a Leica M with 35 or 50mm (or orher focal length) prine as the main shooter, and also have a nice all in one or portable zoom P&S as a complemenrary (not back up). But recently due to the improvement of high end zooms, the role is switched. Prime holds its position mostly for the depth of focus or for its “humble” outlook.