Poor quality control in Leica?

13 minutes ago, Daniel81 said:

That askew Red Dot could make your model a hyper-valuable collectors edition in 30 years.  Could supplement your retirement!!!

I will tell them to fix only the paint problem and keep the red dot logo askew...He, he...

My Q2 also came with a smudge like yours on the top plate next to the mic holes...polished it off with a lens pen and cloth though so it might just be a bit of grease? Have not paid it much attention since but did a full wipe-down of the camera last night and did not notice. 

18 hours ago, Daniel81 said:

That askew Red Dot could make your model a hyper-valuable collectors edition in 30 years.  Could supplement your retirement!!!

With all the quality control issues its the straight red dots that will be collectable.

On 8/8/2020 at 9:53 AM, lct said:

Poor QC is a recurrent complaint since the eighties, dont ask me why. My T-E 90/2.8 looked like this when i bought it in 1981... Only Leica can fix the issue anyway. 

Ah, but 1981 was bring your child to work year at Leica....

@Alexcabrils   

I looked at my camera , which i’ve had for nearly a year and never noticed a problem.

Guess that’s the downside of this type of thing 🙂 

Is the problem you are highlighting with the paint, the grey mark by the +1 shutter dial or on the top plate by the holes.

I’ve got a grey area on mine by the +1 too. Always thought it was just a thumb mark, but it doesn’t rub off.

Cameras fantastic and i love it. Not sure i’ll do anything about it, just curious 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/8/2020 at 9:54 AM, jaapv said:

Humans make random errors and would need to  have everything they make  or inspect tested, so it would need an inspector behind every worker and who would inspect the inspectors?

You don't need to 'have an inspector behind every worker' or someone to 'inspect the inspectors'.

The aerospace industry has had a workable inspection system for many decades. What matters is not to inspect every worker, but to have major subsystems tested and inspected before being installed in the final product, and then having that final product tested and inspected.

One of the problems that bedevilled the Soviet camera industry was the belief that the Soviet worker would always do a first-class job, so all you had to do in order to guarantee quality was to inspect the production line to make sure that the tools and test equipment were satisfactory. Good tools plus Soviet worker would result in a final product that was going to be satisfactory.

I fear that Leica has stumbled into the same mindset. When a video was placed on the internet showing M9 production, I was struck by the fact that there was no signs of any form of inspection. That might explain why we hear of failures such as brand-new Leica lenses that won't produce a usable image, or camera bodies on which lenses cannot be mounted. (Back in the 1950s, Nikon took a test image with every lens that left the production line, and kept this on file.)

The most well-trained and highly-motivated worker will have an error rate - I seem to recall that the late Werner von Braun put this at 2-3%. So if an inspector (who presumably also has a failure rate of 2-3%) checks the work, the chances of a faulty item getting through are very low. That's one reason why flying on an airliner operated by all but a handful of questionable third-world airlines is so safe.

• Thanks 1

Well after waiting 3 days to open the box in NJ, pandemic starndard procedure, they checked and they decided to send me a new camera, I must say that I have the backed help of the Sales Manager for the west coast that did an amazing job pushing to arrive to this solution, the new camera will arrive on monday and I hope everything will be ok with it. Some feith restired in the brand Leica after the disappointing reality of quality control.

• Like 1