M10-R vs M10-P high-ISO, acuity, and noise side-by-side comparison results

onasj

• 2 weeks later...

The original poster obviously did some significant work to share. Thank you for that.

I am relatively new Leica shooter since acquiring my first Leica, the M10, in November 2017. I have an new portfolio of great images, IMHO, created with my M10. 

Since then, I have acquired the SL2 and M10-R. Both great platforms. I enjoy the "cropability" of the increased resolution images produced by the M10-R over the M10.

Instead of chasing infinity, I will just go out and enjoy my gear as I create art.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto

Edited by budjames
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Dear wise ones and particularly Mr Liu for posting these and other very useful comparisons.  I'm coming late to this thread and apologise for bring it back to life, but I have a question about the colour variance shown in the pictures.

I noted that you mention the difference in colour saturation caused by your workflow.  I can see quite a significant difference in colour content between the two cameras and wondered if you, or anyone else, could shed light on that.  

At 100 ISO, the M10 shots are redder and the M10-R are yellower.  This is most visible to me in the skin tones in the tarot cards.  I have no idea which is more true to life - and that would be as you see the cards anyway.  After going back and forth a few times, I concluded that the colour variation within the tones in the cards is more subtle in the M10-R than the M10, but it is marginal.  There are a few other places where the colours vary, but the skin tone (more of the woman than the man) is the easiest place to see it.  I also noticed that this yellowness is retained in the M10-R files as the ISO increases. 

It is also interesting that the redness of the clay in the pot is stronger in the M10 image than the M10-R image, even at ISO 100, but the moire noted by several people detracts from the M10 version.  However, as the ISO increases, the M10 retains more of the clay colour than the M10-R, even though the M10-R retains more detail.  Again, it would be very interesting to know how close to what your eye sees, are the colours of the clay.

Thanks very much

Chazphoto