Jonsekulla

HELP...LEICA M9 FAULT?!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, 

does anyone know what is going on here?

All of sudden every photo is like this or a different shape with sometimes a bit of the actual image

sensor?

sd card?

processor?

any help before sending it away would be much appreciated!

That is very much like a sensor/motherboard fault and the camera most likely needs a sensor replacement.  There is a miniscule chance that it is the SD card, so try another card before you send it off to Leica.

I tend to agree that that "waterfall dissolve" look is most likely the CCD failing. But there are other electronic possibilities - clock failure, even battery failure (there were issues trying to recycle older M8 batteries into M9s due to age and voltage stability). That was back around 2013-14, so native M9 batteries "of a certain age" may now be hitting the same wall.

https://www.google.com/search?q=CCD+sensor+failure&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiJh5DfiIjqAhXbUM0KHQQ4BqwQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=CCD+sensor+failure&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzoECAAQQzoFCAAQsQM6BwgAELEDEEM6AggAOgYIABAIEB46BAgAEB46BAgAEBhQxooCWMCwAmDZsgJoAHAAeAGAAZUEiAHwE5IBCjExLjMuMy41LTGYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZw&sclient=img&ei=jaPpXsmMN9uhtQaE8JjgCg&bih=1251&biw=1826&client=firefox-b-1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By onasj
      With the important caveat that this post is largely speculation, let's anticipate the performance characteristics of the M10-R sensor.
      The Leica S3 sensor is 45x30 mm (1350 sq mm) and the DNG files are 9816 x 6512, for a total pixel count of 63,921,792 pixels, or 47,349 pixels per sq mm
      The Leica M10 Monochrom sensor is 36 x 24 mm (864 sq mm) and the DNG files are 7864 x 5200 = 40,892,800 pixels, or 47,330 pixels per sq mm.
      The pixel density of the two sensors is so similar that I assume the discrepancy comes from non-scaling edge usage factors, and/or small 0.01 mm-scale rounding errors in sensor size.
      So if we assume that the S3 sensor and the M10 Monochrom sensor come from the same process, differing only in size and the presence of the Bayer color filter array in the former, then it's reasonable to assume the M10-R sensor also comes from the same process, and is basically a 36 x 24 mm crop of the S3 sensor (as others have hypothesized in this forum previously).  
      If this reasoning is correct, then you can expect the M10-R sensor to be the same as the M10M sensor, plus a Bayer CFA, and to perform more or less the same as the S3 sensor on a per-square-mm basis.  Therefore, I would expect:
      - DNG files that are 7864 x 5200 = 40,892,800 pixels
      - Dual gain design
      - 4.6 µm pixel pitch
      - Base ISO = 100
      - ISO range = 100-50,000 (basically one stop lower than the 160-100,000 ISO range of the M10 Monochrom, as one might predict from the lack of the Bayer CFA in the M10M)
      - 14 bits per pixel
      Good ISO 12,500 photos and decent ISO 25,000 photos would be terrific, and a significant improvement over the M10/M10-P, as noted here:
      https://photorumors.com/2019/01/20/mega-shootout-sony-leica-and-phase-one-comparison/
    • By chris7opher
      Hi Everyone,

I recently notice a small/short black line at the edge of images taken with M9P. I’m not sure what causes the fault. 

Can anyone please have at these 2 images, and share your thoughts? Thank you.

- Chris

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By inkbox
      My Leica D-Lux 3 that displays (1) a purple color shift for white colors in bright light; and (2) a photos show a green or yellow tint in low light.
      I have looked over the presets and defaults. I cannot find a switch that improves the display.
      I believe that the exposure sensor is damaged or malfunctioning.
      Otherwise, the camera is in good shape cosmetically and according to a review of the presets and default, working correctly.
      A used replacement on Ebay is about $150 to $200.
      My questions are:
      -1- Can I send my camera to the Leica repair for a new sensor for that amount of money? I know about the submission form that requires a maximum repair cost to be stated.
      -2- Is a Leica repaired camera totally checked out and then repaired so as to insure long lasting functioning?
      -3- Is it better to purchase another non-leica camera for $150 to $200 with improved specifications like increased megapixels?
      Thanks for reviewing my questions,
      Inkbox  
      PS I encountered an error when uploading files; although I deleted the upload files, I cannot upload replacements.
      I have used up all of my storage space and cannot locate a delete button in My Attachments. 
    • By goatsby
      I have a M9 that shows signs of slight corrosion and I’ve been holding off on sending it in as the corrosion doesn’t show up under normal shooting conditions. I heard on another forum that  that Leica is planning to discontinue replacing sensors for the M9, is this true? I know supplies must be limited but thought I had another year or so to get the sensor done. Has anyone else heard this? 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue., Read more about our Privacy Policy