Regret selling my Q: Get another Q, save for a Q2, or something else?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

48 minutes ago, vedivv said:

The 28mm on Q2 is a brilliant choice.  I had Sony RX1 when it first came out, and could not use it as a travel camera because 35mm is not wide enough.  As much as I prefer 35mm over 28mm for most shots, you can't make 35mm wider.  Since I bought Q2, I have been pretty happy using it as the only camera in my travels and never regretting not having a second body/lens.

I probably get into a lot of trouble saying this, but if I am carrying a second body, I much prefer carrying Sony A7R3 with a long prime lens (85/1.4 or 135/1.8).  The 50mm crop on Q2 is generally good enough for me that I don't feel like carrying another FF body with a 50mm lens. 

I borrowed a 240 for a little, with 35 and 50 lux.  It was unfortunate that the optical rangefinder was not calibrate and I missed focus at 50/1.4 a lot. Placed an order for M10-M and thinking about keeping the 50 lux "permanently" attached on it after optical calibration.  Operating M bodies is such a joy, but they are not something I would use for vacations.

Both 50 APO and 50 Summilux are brilliant on the M10-M.  Different character but both deliver stunning results.  You may not need to calibrate for the Mono - it's possible the 240 was out and not the lens.

I like some of you guys thinking with the Q2 your having a complete set of Leica lenses because of the crop factor which is better on a Q2 than on the Q. But cropping has nothing to do with having a phisical 35, 50 or even 75, cropping is simply cropping and that’s all. The feature of “having” a 35, 50 or 75 is only a “marketing feature” Leica put on his camera as the “cropping feature” can virtually be done on any camera, period.
I would not certainly buy a Q2 to have a 35 f1.7. My thought is selling the 28 asph cron and buy a Leica Q and then buy a 50 and a 21 to go even wider than the 28 to go with my M-P typ240. That’s what I would really like to do!

1 hour ago, nasserbrn said:

@Massimike

I am sure its noting like having real primes. My thought is having a more portable camera that has autofocus. 

Well in this case is something we are on the same boat. That’s why I would like to have a Q and keep the M with other lens as option. 

Edited by Massimike
Correction
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2020 at 9:14 AM, Massimike said:

Well in this case is something we are on the same boat. That’s why I would like to have a Q and keep the M with other lens as option. 

I did it with the Q.

But since I have the Q2 the M10 and gorgeous primes stayed home for months. The Q2 covers all my needs, personal and pro. So... I sold M10 and lenses... no regrets.

Each one has to test and do according to his way of shooting, taste and priorities...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lucena said:

I did it with the Q.

But since I have the Q2 the M10 and gorgeous primes stayed home for months. The Q2 covers all my needs, personal and pro. So... I sold M10 and lenses... no regrets.

Each one has to test and do according to his way of shooting, taste and priorities...

I can whole heartedly agree. I came from Leica Q and moved to M (first M262 and the M246). It was a great journey and shooting M taught me a lot. But now, I’m full circle and back to Q (this time the Q-P with a Q Silver as back-up) and my M is up for sale.

For me and my style of photography (everyday documentary of my life and the people close to me), the Q is the perfect camera and the better camera over the M.

I truly feel that the Q is the modern day Oskar Barnack camera. And it is without a doubt my favorite camera of all time.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've stuck with the original Q as it does everything I want and need. I nearly always print to A3 and even with slight cropping the results usually exceed my expectations. I must admit the Q2 is very tempting but the improvements, in my opinion, don't justify the financial outlay. If I didn't already have a Q then I would go for the Q2.

https://photographybytomlane.com

• Like 1