Regret selling my Q: Get another Q, save for a Q2, or something else?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, Qster said:

What are the biggest differences you notice in your day to day shooting experience? I'm also a Q user and been offered a Q2 for a really good price and was wondering what are the advantages I can look forward to

I'm much happier with the bigger, better images it produces as I am learning about photo printing at home, and the images from the Q2 make better prints at size (e.g. A3). I've used it for a while now, so don't really remember the differences and advantages, but I do like the new brief summary screen that you get on it by pressing MENU once (a bit like the Q screen on Canon). I also appreciate the better dust proofing and water proofing offered by the Q2 as I mostly shoot outdoors. I think the user buttons and dials are better configured on the Q2, but can't remember being that frustrated by the Q. There are probably several other subtle improvements but I am so used to it now that I cannot remember what they are.

11 hours ago, nicci78 said:

You will be surprised they 90% of computers sold are laptop. Hence not 4K and neither 5K. At best it is 2K monitors. 
most of monitors sold are still 1080p. 4K is not gaining that much traction, because Windows 10 is still very bad at scaling at such resolutions. Every texts will be extremely small. 
If you want to use 4K/5K/6K monitors, you will be better serve with macOS. 
But iMac are less than 10% of Mac sales, which are only 10% of the PC market. So less than 1% of PC sold are 4K or 5K Mac....

4K TVs are not suitable for PC/Mac works. It is made to display videos not photos, nor texts. 

So no we are not all using 4K monitors. Please add one in the cart along with your Q2.

Do not forget to get 32GB of ram of the memory hungry couple : Lightroom Classic and Photoshop. 32GB is cheap in PC world but very very expensive in Macs. 

Even if one has a laptop, one can still plug an external monitor into it when editing photos - that is what I do.

I agree that 24MP is probably the sweet spot for FF sensors, in terms of noise and file size.  So if you can are good at shooting 28mm all the time, there is little need for extra pixels.  However, for me, I am more used to 35mm and 50mm perspectives, and I crop from 28mm often.  The 47MP quickly gets cropped to 20MP.  So the ability to crop from 47MP is a big plus. 

Also, am I the only one being awed by the Q2 lens?  Shooting at F4 or 5.6, I zoom in at the 47MP images all the time and look at the details, especially at the corner.  I sometimes wish Q2 has double the pixels, which I am sure the 28/1.7 lens would be able to handle.

Also, I saw people also recommended the Sony.  For whatever reasons, the bokeh seems nicer from my Sony RX1M2, but the 35mm Sonar is not as sharp (until you stop down to F4) as the 28/1.7 on Q2, and the MF focusing is just horrible.  But I do prefer the smaller size of Sony, as you can always add grip later.  Also had the, Fuji X100, but the image quality is definitely not in the same league.  Heard X100V is very nice.

7 hours ago, RoySmith said:

Even if one has a laptop, one can still plug an external monitor into it when editing photos - that is what I do.

Of course. But you are still in the minority here. It kind of defeats the purpose of having a laptop, when you plug in a monitor. 

I use iMac as desktop and iPad Pro as mobile device. No laptop for me. 

But people are already very happy with just a laptop without any attachment. 

Just to say, that almost nobody needs 47MP : because your typical monitor is not 8K or more. 
However if you print A2 or A1 size. 47MP will be put in good use. 

• Like 1

Just a reminder to know if you need all those extra pixels. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Just to say, that almost nobody needs 47MP : because your typical monitor is not 8K or more. 
However if you print A2 or A1 size. 47MP will be put in good use. 

Life would be so much easier if I knew that today would be the day I'd take the award winning photo that I would want to print large. 😀

Stephen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Printing in A3 and showcasing in 4K is quite common. Because good A3 size printer and good 4K monitors are not too expensive. 
So be sure to have enough resolution for those devices. 
75mm crop is just ok for 4K (it actually misses a few pixels in height) But only suitable for A5-A4 print size. 

So my advice is to stick to 28-35mm with the Q. And 28-35-50mm with the Q2. To get A3-A2 print size and 5K support. 

Only Q2 at 28mm and SL2 will give you access to A2-A1 print size and 8K 

Edited by nicci78
  • Thanks 1

I use a pixma pro100s for printing upto A3+.    Great results and the 47mp gives me that headroom to crop to my hearts desire.....anyway...to be honest, some of my favourite pics are technically crap.....it’s all bout subject and composition in my opinion.    That said.   There is a non-describable pleasure in using something that is just ‘right’     My Q2 is just that....’Right’ !

• Like 1

Q2 would probably give you additional longevity when compared to the first Q due to updated hardware, and has the same button layout as all current cameras from Leica...useful if you want to dabble in another system later down the line. Also 47MP is extremely useful for cropping and recomposing in post. 

The files are huge though, takes approx. 3-4 times longer to import than my 24MP M10-P files, even from a UHS-II card and card reader, whilst M10-P is only UHS-I. It also eats up LR cloud real fast. 

After 1 year with the Q2. In reality no difference between Q and Q2. I never wake up and said : wow this photo couldn’t be shot with the Q. 

It is just a bad GAS. Difference is minimal in practice. Some lacking like : no video button and the very badly positioned exposure wheel, are very annoying. And ugly very high ISO pattern is disappointing.

Keep you 2K of difference and add the CL as wingman. It will be way more useful than 47MP extra. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

I’m now almost 5 years into owning first the Q and now the past year a Q2. My perspective is the Q2, is worth the upgrade. Both cameras are great, but the Q2 offers twice the resolution which I often use for extreme cropping; a much bigger battery; higher resolution EVF, weather sealing; and IMHO better ergonomics. The UHS-II SD cards are faster which is needed for the larger files sizes. I like that the video button is gone. It got in the way too often. The addition of the customizable Thumb button is nice. At first I didn’t care for the new position of the Thumb wheel, but I’ve gotten used to it. No big deal now. I would guess it was moved to make room for the larger battery. 

You won’t go wrong with either camera. I tend to think the Q2 will serve your better over the long term. It does an excellent job of effectively covering 28, 35 and 50mm focal lengths. 

• Like 2

I am in the same boat. I shot the Q in 2015 at the Leica store and have eyed so many of the Leica cameras. I have both a Sony a9 and Fuji X-h1 but I have always wanted a Leica and the Q seems to be what I would enjoy. Yet I rarely shoot 28mm, I usually go 35mm and above. 

Now I have a deal on a new Q for nearly $1,800 less than the Q2. I am worried like I read in one of the posts. I will buy it and always want the Q2....

If the Q was 35mm I would not have thought twice about it. Since the crop is going to give me much higher MP on 35mm and 50mm.

4 hours ago, nasserbrn said:

I am in the same boat. I shot the Q in 2015 at the Leica store and have eyed so many of the Leica cameras. I have both a Sony a9 and Fuji X-h1 but I have always wanted a Leica and the Q seems to be what I would enjoy. Yet I rarely shoot 28mm, I usually go 35mm and above. 

Now I have a deal on a new Q for nearly $1,800 less than the Q2. I am worried like I read in one of the posts. I will buy it and always want the Q2....

If the Q was 35mm I would not have thought twice about it. Since the crop is going to give me much higher MP on 35mm and 50mm.

As @vedivv noted above, the ability to crop from 47MP (with the Q2) is a big plus. With a file size of 20MP at 50mm, this would be effectively what you are getting with the Q at 28mm!

Hence, even if 28mm is not you main focal length, the additional functionality of the Q2 for 35 and 50 (and beyond) would seem to easily justify the additional $$$. 

Since I am very comfortable at 28mm and 35mm focal lengths, the Q2 would be ideal for me.  Unfortunately it is nearly $8k in Australia, which is beyond my wife friendly budget ;)

If I had the means, I would not hesitate to add the Q2 to my arsenal. 

All the best. 

J

• Like 2

On 6/12/2020 at 6:15 PM, Och said:

So just as an update... a local camera store gave me a very good deal on an open box near mint Leica Q Khaki edition. I don't like it more or less than the generic black Q, it was just all about wanting to get another Q and get those wonderful images again, so that's what I decided!

Nice! I have the Q-P and shoot with the X100V interchangeably. You can get both Q (28mm) and X100V (35mm full frame equivalent field of view) for less than a Q2. X100V lens is new and is much, much sharper than the previous X100 models. It's on par with the Q for sharpness, and the bokeh and rendering is a similar aesthetic, IMO. Build quality of X100V is nowhere near the Q, but it's still a nice little camera. And with the addition of a filter on the lens (clear, etc.), the X100V is also weather-resistant (requires additional adapter ring to add a filter).

Shooting the X100V reminds me a lot of shooting the Q cropped to 35mm:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1190792/26#15259715

Edited by hdmesa

5 hours ago, Mute-on said:

As @vedivv noted above, the ability to crop from 47MP (with the Q2) is a big plus. With a file size of 20MP at 50mm, this would be effectively what you are getting with the Q at 28mm!

Hence, even if 28mm is not you main focal length, the additional functionality of the Q2 for 35 and 50 (and beyond) would seem to easily justify the additional $$$. 

Since I am very comfortable at 28mm and 35mm focal lengths, the Q2 would be ideal for me.  Unfortunately it is nearly $8k in Australia, which is beyond my wife friendly budget ;)

If I had the means, I would not hesitate to add the Q2 to my arsenal. 

All the best. 

J

There is one video that I saw on Youtube showing that the crop does not give you the same shot as you would get from a prime 35mm which is another thing that puts me off. As for price there are countries that you save around A$800 which is not a bad saving if you collect it from the store and not have it shipped to you like Australia, not a bad saving. 

Wife friendly budget 😂 - Don't we all have it!

6 hours ago, nasserbrn said:

There is one video that I saw on Youtube showing that the crop does not give you the same shot as you would get from a prime 35mm which is another thing that puts me off.

It won’t give you the same shot, when considering depth of field.  You’re simply taking the dof of a 28mm lens and cropping to a 35/50/75 angle of view.  Which isn’t a big deal if you always shoot stopped down.  However, if you want a nice subject/background separation without any distortion (due to the 28mm lens), you need an actual prime in one of the other focal lengths.  That said the 28mm Summilux on the Q and Q2 is really, really good.  

• Like 1

I bought the Q; sold the Q; missed it, bought the Q again; sold it again and bought the Q2.  Sellers's remorse can be an expensive business.

I don't have any issues with the crop mode, even beyond 75mm.  Just for fun I used the Q2 to take photos of birds at an owl and hawk sanctuary.  I've posted some elsewhere on the forum, one was cropped to the equivalent of 180mm and it was pin sharp on my 5k monitor, and with a nice blurry background.  Probably wouldn't have printed to A2, but that doesn't bother me - it was only a fun experiment.  Would the photo have looked better if I'd used the SL with a telephoto?  Of course, but I don't have an SL with a telephoto!

Will the Q2 cropped to 35mm look the same as an M10 and f1.4 Summilux?  Of course not, so don't make that comparison.  The Q2 doesn't fail at being an M10/35mm, it succeeds at being a Q2/28mm with the ability to get good results in crop mode.  Try cropping your M10/35mm to 28mm.  Hmm . . . not as good as the Q2 is it 😳

Seriously, the Q2 is a brilliant package.  I'm not interested in technical stats or lines per millimetre; all I care about is the photos.  I pair my Q2 with an M10-D or an M10-Mono, with a 50mm lens on both.  I've always preferred carrying two cameras rather than one camera and two lenses.

Edited by T25UFO
  • Like 3

@Anakronox

I am sure they are very good cameras and we can't find everything in life.. Part of being Human always have to find something that is missing 😁

@T25UFO

I do agree with you if there is a backup I will not worry one bit, I am trying to have one camera only, one I have all the time. The others I can use when I need specific shooting requirements. 

Edited by nasserbrn

14 hours ago, T25UFO said:

I bought the Q; sold the Q; missed it, bought the Q again; sold it again and bought the Q2.  Sellers's remorse can be an expensive business.

I don't have any issues with the crop mode, even beyond 75mm.  Just for fun I used the Q2 to take photos of birds at an owl and hawk sanctuary.  I've posted some elsewhere on the forum, one was cropped to the equivalent of 180mm and it was pin sharp on my 5k monitor, and with a nice blurry background.  Probably wouldn't have printed to A2, but that doesn't bother me - it was only a fun experiment.  Would the photo have looked better if I'd used the SL with a telephoto?  Of course, but I don't have an SL with a telephoto!

Will the Q2 cropped to 35mm look the same as an M10 and f1.4 Summilux?  Of course not, so don't make that comparison.  The Q2 doesn't fail at being an M10/35mm, it succeeds at being a Q2/28mm with the ability to get good results in crop mode.  Try cropping your M10/35mm to 28mm.  Hmm . . . not as good as the Q2 is it 😳

Seriously, the Q2 is a brilliant package.  I'm not interested in technical stats or lines per millimetre; all I care about is the photos.  I pair my Q2 with an M10-D or an M10-Mono, with a 50mm lens on both.  I've always preferred carrying two cameras rather than one camera and two lenses.

The 28mm on Q2 is a brilliant choice.  I had Sony RX1 when it first came out, and could not use it as a travel camera because 35mm is not wide enough.  As much as I prefer 35mm over 28mm for most shots, you can't make 35mm wider.  Since I bought Q2, I have been pretty happy using it as the only camera in my travels and never regretting not having a second body/lens.

I probably get into a lot of trouble saying this, but if I am carrying a second body, I much prefer carrying Sony A7R3 with a long prime lens (85/1.4 or 135/1.8).  The 50mm crop on Q2 is generally good enough for me that I don't feel like carrying another FF body with a 50mm lens. 

I borrowed a 240 for a little, with 35 and 50 lux.  It was unfortunate that the optical rangefinder was not calibrate and I missed focus at 50/1.4 a lot. Placed an order for M10-M and thinking about keeping the 50 lux "permanently" attached on it after optical calibration.  Operating M bodies is such a joy, but they are not something I would use for vacations.